Apple Announces Major iTunes Update Coming Next Month [Update: Version 10.7 Released Today]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple announced a new version of iTunes at today's media event featuring a "dramatically simpler" interface with an edge-to-edge design.
    The updated media application will show albums in a grid interface with song listings unfolding below the album cover art when clicked. Searching is improved, showing inline results as you type and the MiniPlayer has been redesigned to show a miniature version of the album cover art and album and song information and playback controls.

The updated iTunes will also get iCloud integration to show all your media content saved in Apple's cloud storage service and save your position in movies or TV shows automatically so that you can pick up where you left off on another device.

The new version of iTunes will be available in late October.

Update: A new version of iTunes, version 10.7, has been released. It "adds support for iOS 6 running on compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models. This update also adds support for the latest iPod nano and iPod shuffle models."

Article Link: Apple Announces Major iTunes Update Coming Next Month [Update: Version 10.7 Released Today]

2. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

so glad they added 'up next'/play queue.

3. macrumors 68000

wikus

I wish they made a separate application for JUST music that isnt a memory hogging piece of crap

I among many others don't need support for movies, ebooks, an online app store, iphone, ipad, ipod, integration and all that other crap.

Just give us a nice, simple and quick application for managing and playing back MP3s! The only viable option is Enqueue but its not getting much updates and while Vox is an awesome small mp3 player, it lacks a proper library.

4. macrumors 6502a

camomac

Cool! Very interested in seeing the new design.

5. macrumors regular

Same.

Now all they need is iTunes Match for movies so I can get rid of my external HDD full of rips :p

6. macrumors regular

Hated the update at first, but glad we can still get back to the list option. Finally, there's a play next feature! Awesome! Was expecting a download available straight away, though. Late October :eek:

7. macrumors regular

Macrolido

Hope still supports Snow Leopard.

8. macrumors 68020

I hope they kept Home Sharing so that my wife and I can continue sharing apps, books, movies, and music without having to share an iTunes account on our computers or devices.

Since in iOS6, we don't even need to enter passwords for updates, Home Sharing is hands down the best way to do it. The old way of sharing by using the same iTunes Store apple id is now officially dead.

9. macrumors 6502

I agree with you, as I have some movies from my own collection that I ripped, but I highly doubt that would happen

10. macrumors 603

Yeah, this is weird. It seems to damper hope for an Oct iPad Mini event. Else, why not announce the new iTunes then?

11. macrumors 68000

Porco

The first screenshot I saw scared me a lot, because it looked like the terrible iPad music app. Hopefully they buried features rather than threw them out altogether.

I might be in the minority, but iTunes has always worked fine for me most of the time…

12. macrumors 6502a

Ughhh...... noo!!! Why!??? I like the classic iTunes layout just fine thank you very much. Apple is digging themselves into a grave through their obsession with constantly changing things.

We'll be able to have the list view for now, but down the road it won't be an option anymore.

13. macrumors newbie

iTunes 10.7 available now!

No idea what Apple is saying on its iTunes pages. iTunes landing page says, 10.7 will be available in October. But it's now available at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/. It's not what they showed on the demo or the site!

Steve........

----------

10.7 is available now at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

14. macrumors 6502

Thankfully it isnt skeumorphed. I half expected it to be a large vinyl that you span with the mouse.

I hope it is rebuilt from the ground up and not just a reskin. Also hope iOS/iPod management has been divorced out of it into its own management app, but thats probably wishful logical thinking.

15. macrumors 6502

16. macrumors 604

10.7 just adds support for new iPhones and iPods. The new version in October will probably be 11.

17. macrumors 6502

says 10.6.3 when i hit the link :confused:

18. macrumors 6502a

karsten

it appears cover flow is gone? i kind of liked that..

19. macrumors 65816

melchior

still hoping naively that there will an option for increased itunes match...

20. macrumors 6502

10.7 is just normal itunes with ios6 support.

next itunes will be itunes 11 i bet. or iTunes X hopefully.

21. macrumors newbie

Sonora

Reminds me of Sonora.

22. macrumors 68000

NATO

Not happy at all with the way they've made iTunes like the iPad app, where browsing by artist is done by a grid of album art squares. It's so clumsy compared to a nice list where you can just scroll down by name. I really hope the standard column browser is still included otherwise I'll just hold on to the current version.

23. macrumors 65816

melchior

Here's what you get from the install...

24. macrumors 6502

orbital~debris

10.7 is available for download now if you go to apple.com/itunes/download.
    It's seems to be something of an interim release to support new products, until the new iTunes is available in late October.

25. macrumors newbie