Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I just want to buy the 5870 for my 2008 Mac Pro.

GL

Shortly after they're released. The hackintosh community will release a rom from the mac 5870. ATi cards typically have a rom chip on board that is large enough to hold the mac and pc rom on the same chip. Then it's merely a matter of combining the two rooms and flashing them onto a cheaper pc version og the 5870.

aneks

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2006
really nice workstations. I am keen to see what they are going to charge for the graphics cards now though. One of these and 27" LED would be quite welcome.

EDIT : Ah its glossy only. Forget it I'll grab one of the new Dell's

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
Finally. I have been waiting and waiting and waiting. Every tuesday reading the New Mac Pros thread. Finally glad they updated it.

Now ... about that price. :eek:

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
No XServe update

alas there don't seem to be any XServe updates...yet. Maybe by August we will get new XServes.

MacFanJeff

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
IL, USA
As a 3D artist, I have long since moved on from the Mac Pro but still recommend them to those that don't need the specific high-end features I do. Still, I can't help but be disappointed about the new Mac Pros due to one key component for me and that is a high-end nVidia graphics card like the 480x.

Several of the high-end 3D art programs I use have better bench marks, not to mention features that you just won't get with ATI boards. Some of the software I use cost up to $3,000 so it is not an option for me to use anything but. Since those programs take advantage of things like CUDA, FEMI and shaders specific to nVidia, that is a deciding factor for me.

The ATI 5870 is a nice card and will perform well for most consumers, even those that would like to game. But with no nVidia options that really seals the deal for someone like myself.

I would also have thought there would be USB 3.0 too but at least some of the more main stream consumers will get some use out of these updates.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Seems like the least they could do is throw in a free 32gb iPad and that new trackpad thingy.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
TRIM? Garbage collection? Hmmm....

I noticed this in the press release:

512GB SSD for the ultimate in reliability and lightning fast performance

I recall that Apple had stopped advertising speed as a feature of the SSDs when it became clear that their performance degraded as the amount of unwritten space decreased. Not sure whether the return of the "speed" claim means:
  • Trim command support now/soon?
  • Garbage collection feature in the SSD driver?
  • Apple shifted away from Samsung as SSD supplier (see Anandtech article for Samsung's uniquely dismal performance)
  • something else?
  • none of the above?

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
New case please?!?!?!?!

What a load of crap on the pricing!

Note to Apple: If you are going to expect us to pay such a premium, how about throwing a new case design into the mix. Even automobiles change their exteriors sooner than every 7 years! This is absurd!

Check out these specs:
PowerMac G5 introduced on June 23, 2003
In that time the:
- iMac has been revised 4 times (The "sunflower" design was out at that time"... remember that one? Feels like an eternity ago doesn't it???)
- Mac mini has been revised 1 time
- iBook became the MacBook which has already seen 1 revision
- PowerBook became the MacBook Pro which has also seen 1 revision
- iPhone has seen 2 physical revisions
- iPod has seen countless revisions
- Apple Remote has been revised since its introduction!

The PowerMac/Mac Pro has not even seen ONE revision yet.

*Please note that when I say "Revised/Revision" I mean that the actual shape of the form factor has changed. I do not consider rearranging ports on the front and back, adding a second optical bay or rearranging the interior guts as a revision or change.

If they are going to offer a Quad-Core option it really needed to start at $1799 or $1999.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Nice nice upgrade options but WOW what a price range!!

configure something similar from Dell or HP and compare the price. Intel charges a lot of money for Xeon's. and then they will sell you the "premium" version of an ATI or an Nvidia card. which is the exact same thing as the consumer version except with a different BIOS and drivers and a huge premium since businesses are buying.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
I would love a new Mac Pro, but the price really needs to come down some more.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Entry level still looks like a horrible price/performance value. :(

3GB RAM. Pathetic.

As is the rest of this announcement. The most effort they could go to was offering some additional off-the-shelf parts.

One update per year and they are still just bumping specs on an old chassis and bringing absolutely nothing new to the professional table.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
As a 3D artist, I have long since moved on from the Mac Pro but still recommend them to those that don't need the specific high-end features I do. Still, I can't help but be disappointed about the new Mac Pros due to one key component for me and that is a high-end nVidia graphics card like the 480x.

Several of the high-end 3D art programs I use have better bench marks, not to mention features that you just won't get with ATI boards. Some of the software I use cost up to $3,000 so it is not an option for me to use anything but. Since those programs take advantage of things like CUDA, FEMI and shaders specific to nVidia, that is a deciding factor for me.

The ATI 5870 is a nice card and will perform well for most consumers, even those that would like to game. But with no nVidia options that really seals the deal for someone like myself.

I would also have thought there would be USB 3.0 too but at least some of the more main stream consumers will get some use out of these updates.

Hate to admit it but I agree. For a work station it's still not up to par with those who need serious power, especially for the price and especially as it lacks new technology that already is available on the market.

winmacuser

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
Cheese, and where is the 1,500$ Mac not-so-pro with 2 HDD slots, 4GB RAM, replaceable graphics and Core iX?

;)

rimcrazy

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
What a bunch of crap....

I can't believe I waited for this...... $5k and

NO SATA3
NO USB 3.0
NO NVidia Cards for 3D work

Bend over and get hosed on the pricing.

I work in 3D and was hoping that the new MacPros would be something worth waiting for. If this is Steveo's version of "Amazing" I'm pretty darn disappointed. Win7 is looking better and better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.