Apple Announces OS X 'Mavericks' with Tabbed Finder, Safari Redesign, Maps and iBooks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 10, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At today's WWDC keynote event, Apple announced the next version of its Mac operating system, dubbed "Mavericks" after a surfing area north of Half Moon Bay in California. Mavericks will feature many new Finder features including tabs, full-screen capability, tagging, and independent handling of multiple displays.

Tagging items allows users to categorize and search for files more easily. With multiple displays, Finder will display a menu bar in each to allow easier control of all apps. Mission Control has also been modified to allow easy transfer of apps between displays, and Mavericks can display apps through a connected Apple TV.

[​IMG]
    A new feature called Timer Coalescing will reduce CPU activity by smoothing out active processes and idle time while another new feature, Compressed Memory, will compress inactive memory to make free space available to running apps.

Safari gets a revised Top Sites page and a sidebar with direct bookmark and Reading List access. Also visible in the sidebar are links shared by friends through social networks. The browser's memory and energy usage has also been improved in Mavericks.

Keychain moves to iCloud in Mavericks to enable cross-device synchronization of passwords for use within Safari and other apps. Keychain will be able to suggest strong passwords and will remember credit card information to make online shopping easier.

Notifications also get an overhaul with the ability to respond to iMessages or even decline Facetime calls right from the notification banner. After waking from sleep, notification banners for alerts received during sleep will appear on the lock screen.

[​IMG]
    A Maps app will come to the Mac in Mavericks, offering search capabilities, Flyover views, turn-by-turn directions and the ability to send directions directly to an iOS device.

iBooks is coming to the Mac as well, with direct access to content available in the iTunes Store. Reading features include bookmarks, a night mode, and access to embedded multimedia elements.

Registered developers can preview Mavericks starting today and the final public release of the OS is planned for the fall.

Article Link: Apple Announces OS X 'Mavericks' with Tabbed Finder, Safari Redesign, Maps and iBooks

2. macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Better battery life on existing computers. Yay. No need for a lower power CPU.

3. macrumors member

iCloud Keychain Sync! iCloud Keychain Sync! iCloud Keychain Sync! iCloud Keychain Sync! iCloud Keychain Sync!

4. macrumors 6502a

sweet. so, can we expect a price similar to ML?

5. macrumors 603

appleguy123

Craig is a really great presenter. Definitely the best that Apple has now. He's actually getting me excited for the new Mac OS X, even if I hate the name.

6. macrumors 68030

I was momentarily pumped for Sea Lion, and I agree. He is doing a superb job with the OSX presentation.

7. macrumors member

Finally they add iBooks.
    Maps is a nice touch.

8. macrumors 603

appleguy123

It was visible in the dock from the very beginning. ;)

9. macrumors 6502a

Faster, OpenGL 4, Maps, iBooks, new Safari...
    Drooling

10. macrumors 68040

squeeks

Sea Lion would have been awesome, whoever came up with Mavericks should be terminated.

11. macrumors 603

quagmire

First version of OS X to add anything meaningful since Leopard. First good update since Snow Leopard.....

12. macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Please don't drop Core2Duo support!

*hugs 2011 MacBook Air*

13. macrumors member

Forstall must be punching his screen right about now at all the skeumorphism/stitching jokes Federighi is cracking.

14. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Name is a bit jarring, but I like the under-the-hood improvements. Faster, less memory required, less power usage. All good!

15. macrumors 68040

squeeks

For another glorified service pack? I'd almost hate to pay that much.

16. macrumors newbie

Great OS X

I've been using OS X since Snow Leopard, and Mavericks looks like the best one so far. I love that unlike in Windows, they make improvements, not just change everything around for the sake of it. Hope batter life will improve too.

17. macrumors regular

This sounds fantastic. UI enhancements and improvements under the hood. I don't know that there's anything left to complain about on OS X now. I'm sure others will complain, but I'm sitting pretty

18. macrumors 68020

jbachandouris

19. macrumors 6502a

the more info i read, the more i want to experience the new os :eek:

20. macrumors regular

No mention of fixing the wi-fi that has been flakey since SL.

21. macrumors 65816

parish

iBooks for Mac - yay! :D

As for the name - hmmm. Personally I think Maverick would be better than the plural but I guess it's what's in it, not what it's called, that matters.

22. macrumors G4

daneoni

23. macrumors regular

24. macrumors member

Will Mail still suck?l

The big question: Will Mail still suck?

25. macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

'Mavericks' sounds like some sort of disease.

"I'm sorry sir, but you have mavericks."