Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
seriously.jpg

Good for him. That's more than what you need to live, I'm sure he'll be fine without an extra $50-$100 million. Apple will be fine too.

Steve would want that type of leader in the position.

I don't understand these comments. How would WE know what Steve jobs would have wanted? Did you know him in person or something?

Slivortal

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I'm kind of sad (and worried) to see him go. As a programmer, I have enjoyed Apple's professional-standard line of Macs and OSX, and constantly fear them and their operating system going the way of their mobile devices and iOS. The fact that he's being replaced by an iPad developer (seems like a possible line consolidation - not beyond Apple) is even more worrisome.

Kind of makes my decision on whether or not to buy a new MacBook this summer easier, though.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Retirement?

How old is he? He looks very young. Goes to say he will have a nice retirement....

When you have Millions and Millions ($70,000,000) retirement age is whenever
you want. This could be a problem since all of Apples upper executives are
multimillionaires. The alarm goes off in the morning and you just say F... it, I think I'll retire and live in paradise for the rest of my life. But maybe thats just me. Cause they are all dedicated to Apple for the rest of their lives, no matter how old or rich they get...;)

timbom3

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
I'm kind of sad (and worried) to see him go. As a programmer, I have enjoyed Apple's professional-standard line of Macs and OSX, and constantly fear them and their operating system going the way of their mobile devices and iOS. The fact that he's being replaced by an iPad developer (seems like a possible line consolidation - not beyond Apple) is even more worrisome.

Kind of makes my decision on whether or not to buy a new MacBook this summer easier, though.

He's only been iPad head since 2010. I personally don't know his background, but Riccio may be a great engineer and do wonders for mac? I'm interested to know who is replacing him in the land of iPad.....

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Cook without charisma doesn't know how to motivate others, this is the result.

Cook doesn't have charisma? Have you seen the keynotes? The dude is obsessed with his job! I don't think they could've found a better guy to take the reins with Steve gone.

For that matter, he's also GOOD at his job. Apple's numbers are still going up, and under him they released a $2200 computer that's backed up for 3-4 weeks in shipping on Apple's online store. Sure they don't have many in supply yet, but seriously, it's $2200 people are EXCITED to spend.

On subject, Mansfield has done some incredible engineering at Apple and the retirement is well-deserved. I don't think there's a good or bad sign here. It seems to me that a guy who wasn't obsessed with cash retired to be with his family or for his health or, well, whatever reason he pleases, really. It's not unreasonable to retire in your 50's when your job was incredibly high-stress, as working at Apple doubtlessly is, and you have plenty of money anyway. The fact that he's aiding in the transition and not just instantly bailing implies that he wasn't kicked out or something.

As someone else has mentioned, Riccio has done work on Macs as well as iPads. Sounds to me like he's well-rounded, and I can't imagine you could get that high up in Apple without knowing what you're doing anyway.

iDev4Mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
He has done his job very well. Hopefully Apple can find as good as/better so that Macs can keep doing what they currently do in hardware.

E: Oh, they have found it already... Hopefully this Dan Riccio is as good as/better than Bob Mansfield ;)

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Did we ever figure out how old he is? By one posters logic, if you go according to when if graduated from college, he is 52. Someone else mentioned 50. Do we have a factual number?

I'm kinda thinking 52 could be right.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
All the best Bob, hopefully people will notice it's not all about Steve Jobs who gets all the credit

----------

"Steve would want that type of leader in the position."

I don't understand these comments. How would WE know what Steve jobs would have wanted? Did you know him in person or something?
These comments sound like "What would Jesus do"...

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Cook without charisma doesn't know how to motivate others, this is the result.

That comment is so cynical, it could have come from me.

----------

Cook doesn't have charisma? Have you seen the keynotes? The dude is obsessed with his job!

Having charisma and being obsessed with a job are very different things and one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

----------

I thought he only appeared in the videos rather than on stage? ;)

Sir Johnny also only appears in videos and was never seen on stage, and yet, strangely enough, everybody here seems to worship him nonetheless.

----------

Steve didn't care about the money. Did you see how he lived? Modestly.

Owning a real estate that's worth several millions and using a private jet to pretend that you moved to a different state just to be able to buy human transplant organs is not necessarily my definition of "living modestly". I would have done the same in Jobs' situation, but I wouldn't have any romantic and idolized views about it.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Bring Back Screws....

Will he receive the standard Apple Engineering retirement gift: A bottle of adhesive and a roll of kapton tape?

Maybe I'm just alone on this one. I would rather see engineering with a mind to repairability even if the product ends up 0.3284mm thicker.

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Sir Johnny also only appears in videos and was never seen on stage, and yet, strangely enough, everybody here seems to worship him nonetheless.

Ive did actually appear on stage and gave a presentation at the October special event in 2008.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Jony was on stage once, when Apple unveiled the unibody MacBooks. And briefly during WWDC 2010 when Steve was demoing FaceTime.

----------

Will he receive the standard Apple Engineering retirement gift: A bottle of adhesive and a roll of kapton tape?

Maybe I'm just alone on this one. I would rather see engineering with a mind to repairability even if the product ends up 0.3284mm thicker.
Is there something in the rMBP that Apple cannot repair?

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009

I think that's a product of his universally accepted talent. The guy is a master designer, and as far as I'm aware, others in the industry have accepted that. I would say as a brand, he's one of Apple's most important figures -- without the "sleek and trendy" designs (aka minimalist), Apple would lose most of their competitive edge -- the aluminum look and feel has more or less been branded as an integral part of Apple computers (and devices). Everyone knows the innards are the same, if not worse, than many PC counterparts, and OSX is more or less on par with W7 (W8 is still out on review).

MartyF81

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago IL
For those questioning why he would walk away from the restricted stock options.

The options are always giving with future execution dates to keep you working for the company. Which means he will perpetually have options that are future dated. If he waited 3 years to execute them in 2015, by then he would have more restricted options that he could not execute until 2018.

Its a hamster wheel, you have to jump off at some point or you are always chasing that carrot.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Owning a real estate that's worth several millions and using a private jet to pretend that you moved to a different state just to be able to buy human transplant organs is not necessarily my definition of "living modestly". I would have done the same in Jobs' situation, but I wouldn't have any romantic and idolized views about it.

Is it really so hard to find things about Apple to criticize that you have to make up misinformation about their former CEO who passed away almost a year ago? How tasteless.

ponytrekker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Maybe now he goes back to making funny movies like Tommy Boy?

NewImage33.png

tommyboy-1_288x288.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.