Apple Announces September Retirement of CFO Peter Oppenheimer

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 4, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today announced the retirement of Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer. Oppenheimer will leave Apple in September of this year and will be succeeded by Luca Maestri, Apple's vice president of Finance and corporate controller. This change in executive leadership comes one day after Goldman Sachs announced that Oppenheimer would be joining the banking firm's board of directors.
    Oppenheimer joined Apple in 1996 as the Senior Director of Finance and Controller and was promoted several times before being appointed Chief Financial Officer in 2004. During his 18 years with Apple, Oppenheimer helped the company build a strong balance sheet, while expanding its data and corporate facilities in the US and acquiring key technology to drive innovation.

Luca Maestri joined Apple in March 2013, after serving as the Chief Financial Officer at both Nokia Siemens Networks and Xerox. His 25-year career has spanned the globe with various leadership roles within General Motors bringing him to Asia Pacific, South America and Europe.

Article Link: Apple Announces September Retirement of CFO Peter Oppenheimer

2. macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I would love to know how much Goldman Sachs is paying him to leave.

3. macrumors 68000

Kariya

Don't think money is really the issue for any Exec that leaves Apple. They have a boatload already.

4. macrumors 68030

Steve121178

Not really anyone's business, is it.

5. macrumors newbie

The apple evolution. Don't like it.

6. macrumors 6502

I am glad he is. Goldman Sucks is not compatible with Apple.

7. macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

It's always about the money, I don't think he is trying to make a name for himself.

----------

It might not be my business but I would still love to know.

8. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

Did he elope with GS already?

Regardless of his future endeavors, Oppenheimer might be a tough act to follow at Apple. He seems to have managed that company quite well.

9. macrumors regular

Maybe he got bored, wanted a new challenge - after all he has been at Apple for 18 years which is longer than most executives hang around for.

10. macrumors newbie

What a ride

Think about this guys experience at apple. When he took the job with Apple in 96 he came into a sinking company. Friends and colleagues probably thought he was nuts. Now he leaves when Apple is at the top of world finance. Pretty amazing really.

11. macrumors 6502a

It's a perspective I think I'll never have. So when he dies, maybe there will be another zero at the end of his bank account balance?

Maybe I'm just lazy, but if I ever managed to save a small fraction of what these high level execs pull in, I would retire. I mean RETIRE retire, not retire and go on to some other position elsewhere.

Think of it. All the resources you'd need to have a lovely home(s), travel wherever you wanted, and be generous to your loved ones and any charitable causes that struck your fancy.

Unless being a comptroller THRILLED me to death, I would be out and done years ago to enjoy the years I have on earth and explore every nook of the planet.

12. macrumors 6502

tbrand7

He's on the board of directors. That is not a full time job. Even so, board of directors usually don't get paid. If he is getting paid, it won't even be close to a fraction of what he was making at Apple. Besides, as I said, being on the board of directors is not a full time job. Tim Cook is on the board of directors at Nike, yet he still finds time to run Apple :)

13. macrumors 65816

Why does this article mention 'retirement'? He's not retiring, he's leaving for Goldman Sachs, right?

14. macrumors 68000

Kariya

I think you're projecting you're own cynicism. The guy is already a multi-millionaire, 51yrs old, and been at Apple for 18yrs. Its not like he's going to be a full time salary/stocks worker at Goldman. He's just joining the board.

15. macrumors regular

I completely agree with what your saying. I really don't understand the mentality of socking money away in a bank. Once you get over a certain amount, you don't see a real improvement in your life. Some of these folks seem to be insecure and use their money as a status symbol. Life's too short for that.

16. macrumors 68020

Solomani

He's just an experienced financial officer.

He's just a glorified bank accountant that went to a nice Business School, had good connections, received decent experience, and landed a job at Apple.

He can be replaced with another glorified bean counter. Glad tidings to him.

17. macrumors member

So now everybody will be all “this wouldn't have happened if Peter were still here”.

18. macrumors newbie

board IS retirement income

Being on a board can pay nothing or it can pay millions, depends on the board. Lot's of execs cushion their retirement with board income. Timewise, it's showing up a few times a year for a meeting. If it's a publicly held company their financials reveal how much thy pay the board, I believe.

19. macrumors regular

Sitting on the board of directors is very different from being an executive. Tim Cook sits on the board of Nike and Eddy Cue on Ferrari. Still pretty sure they're focused mostly on Apple.

So Oppenheimer is probably winding down his time commitment by leaving Apple, but still staying involved by joining the Board at GS.

20. macrumors 68030

sk1wbw

Can't wait for that current idiot to retire.

21. macrumors regular

Actually, I think it's everyone's business. They are responsible for many investor's money.

22. macrumors 68000

From now on, whenever there's any bad financial news for Apple, are we allowed to comment 'Peter would never have allowed this!' ?

23. macrumors 6502a

24. macrumors 68000

Reason077

He's leaving to spend more time with his family.

[​IMG]

25. macrumors 68000

Cuban Missles

My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    Don't know much about Lucas. Hope this move works out. I think the biggest challenge facing Apple from a CFO perspective is how to bring the hordes of cash back to the US so that they can effectively invest it. Maybe they will develop a strategy to invest oversees if they can repatriate the money (thank you congress).

Anyway, it was bound to happen, but slowly we continue to see the changing of the guard at Apple. So far, it has been well managed and Apple continues to move forward without too many bumps.

All we can say is good luck and farewell.