Apple Announces Starbucks Partnership

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 5, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In addition to the iPod related releases today, Apple is pleased to announce a partnership with Starbucks.When you get near a Starbucks a fifth button will come up in the WiFi music store - you may have been in a Starbucks wondering what song is that playing? Now you can buy it with a tap of your finger. The service will reportedly display the last 10 songs played in that Starbucks.
    According to Starbucks Chairman Howard Schultz there will be free access to iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store via Starbucks' Wi-Fi.

From Schultz: Starbucks opens 7 stores per day, over 14,000 stores & 50 million customers a week. Currently there are 5,800 WiFi equipped stores in the U.S. with more coming every day. Starbucks hopes to offer WiFi access in all its stores by 2009.

No mention yet what happens when you're in range of 4 Starbucks or more at the same time.

Article Link: Apple Announces Starbucks Partnership

2. macrumors newbie

Hmmmm. Heh heh. People who buy their music at Starbucks...

3. macrumors 68020

that's great and all but it still leaves the very big problem of getting and internet connection at the starbucks to download the music. if there was free wifi this would make more sense. but i guess since he's making at&t a bunch of money he doesn't mind making t-moblie a bunch too. At this point they seem like they would have been a better choice. And it seems they too will reap the benefits of the apple halo, probably more than at$t will

4. 4np
    macrumors 6502a

4np

Starbuck's nice, apple is nice, but we've only got about 3 starbuck's in the netherlands and not near here :)

5. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

WOOHOO!!! Just what I always wanted!!!

*raises hand*

And the best part is, although you can connect to the iTS for free, you still have to pay to surf the whole wide rest of the web at Starbucks.

Choose Caribou over Starsucks, people. Better coffee. Free Wi-Fi. Not bent on global domination.

-Clive

6. macrumors 6502

wifi access is free but i wonder if the site will be locked to just iTunes or not. if IPT user gets entirely free access to hotspot, this is a clincher for me.

7. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Free wifi while at Starbucks would have made people happier :rolleyes:

And yet another US-only feature... :mad:

8. macrumors 6502a

I think Starbucks is providing free wifi to access the itunes store but not the internet....am I understanding this correctly?

9. macrumors 6502

10. macrumors member

One Bad Duck

I thought starbucks' were global?

11. macrumors 6502a

I was wondering the same thing. I thought for sure that the partnership he was going to announce was free Wi-Fi in all Starbucks stores. Now that would have been a get. There are soooooo many Starbucks coffee shops in the US and yet they are the only coffee shop I have ever been in that does NOT offer free Wi-Fi. What a bummer.

Frank

12. macrumors 6502

13. Guest

Darkroom

StartbucksPod

they are my favourite coffee i must admit (i drink black coffee)... but it is seriously impossible for me to care less about their choice of music... i though they were going to announce that if you bought a song from the WiFi iTunes Store, you could go to the cash to show them and get a free coffee, or something...

i live in Montreal, and there's a StarBucks around the corner from me in the gay village... they've always offered free wifi thru Videotron... a friend of mine use to live across the street from them for a year and lived off of their wifi signal... maybe free wifi at starbucks doesn't happen in the states?

anyway... i'm soooo getting a StartbucksPod...

14. macrumors newbie

Starbucks is horrible coffee. It tastes bitter/burnt and the stores smell like week-old hiking socks. The coffee equiv of McDonalds.

:D

15. macrumors 6502

i like Dunkin Donuts coffee a lot more personally

16. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There's no mention of doing international stores... just most metro areas (with a US map) by 2009 :rolleyes: I'm not holding my breath...

17. macrumors newbie

Actually, it is MUCH better than McStarbucks. Strangely, enough.

18. macrumors 6502a

Please tell me you did not already create an abbreviation for the iPod Touch. Are we that lazy that we can't type out two words??? Also, if you really felt the need to abbreviate it the correct abbreviation would have been iPT :p

19. macrumors 6502a

And thus not available in my town ;)

20. macrumors 68020

Man i'm pissed it hasn't even been out for 3months and this!? I want a $200 credit toward another apple product.

21. macrumors 6502a

Peel

LOL, There are 6 Starbucks within a block of my office in downtown Seattle. This could be mayhem here.

22. macrumors 6502a

You have a bad starbucks near you then. And BTW, McDonalds has decent coffee now. They changed a year or two ago ;)

23. macrumors 6502a

This is retarded too. A huge wast of apple resources. sb wont even be ready for a year.

When is the dumb thing going to support wifi syncing. Even the AppleTV does that.

24. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Why is everyone responding so negatively? I don't drink at Starbucks (I don't like coffee), and have no idea what their music is, but some people do drink there and like the music. For them this is one of those nice little features that make a product feel better. If you don't like Starbucks (like me), just don't use this. Obviously a lot of other people out there do like them.

It's also not like Starbucks is out to "rule the world" or anything :rolleyes:. They're a company, and like all companies, they try to maximize profits, and when doing well, they open up new stores. That's what companies do. You're going to hold it against them for succeeding?

This made me smile :).

25. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It'll probably be the last 10 songs played from the starbuck's whose network you're trying to use (apologies for my bad grammer, I'm american :rolleyes:)