Apple Announces Time Capsule

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by wake6830, Jan 15, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

New Wireless Router/Hard Drive Combo

299 for 500gb
    499 for 1tb

2. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hope the drives are EASILY user-replaceable. Would love to fill a drive, ship it off to my parent's house for safe-keeping, and then pop a new drive in it.

We'll soon find out!

3. macrumors 603

netdog

Does this mean no AirDrive support (ie USB-attached drive + AEBS) for Time Machine?

4. macrumors 65816

How about fixing the issues some people are having with the Airport Extreme Base Station first?

5. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple Announces Time Capsule

[​IMG]

Today during the MacWorld keynote speech, Steve Jobs announced a new Airport Extreme Base Station - with "server grade" internal hard drive dubbed "Time Capsule." The new base station is available in two configurations:
    500GB - $299
    1TB - $499

Ships: February

Article Link

6. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

If I can use it as a NAS to store content my Mac, :apple:tv, and iPhone can access, I'll take one.

7. macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

8. macrumors 6502

ThunderLounge

Could be a handy little gadget.

A tick pricey, not too much though, but nifty anyway.

9. macrumors Core

i think i might pick one of these up. they seem to be reasonably priced and i know i'll need a new wireless router soon anyways....

10. macrumors 6502

That's not bad if you don't already have an AEBS(n), really. 500GB drives are at least $100 just about anywhere you look.

11. macrumors member

Is this just specifically for backup? Or can we like store stuff on it?

12. macrumors member

So 3 weeks ago I spent $159 on an Airport Extreme and $120 on Leopard so I could plug my $120 HD into for Time Machine when they finally updated it to support backups wirelessly. Now Im out all that. Unbelievable.

13. macrumors P6

twoodcc

my thoughts as well. but i already have an airport extreme though?

14. macrumors 6502

ThunderLounge

Like I said, not too bad. I guess I'm thinking it's nothing more than a wireless hard drive.

Maybe there's a little more to it.

15. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Does this mean that Apple fixed the airport NAS issue that make me hate time machine?

16. macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Wouldn't Time Machine just take over the whole drive though? That's my one concern. I don't need a 500GB Time Machine, but if it can be divided up into multiple partitions then it would be useful.

17. macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I`d also love to get it if NAS is possible. I was bout to upgrade the router anyways. So it`d be a good option. But I seriously dont need a 500 GB for my 80 GB macBook :eek:

18. macrumors G4

Small White Car

I was really hoping for user-replaceable hard drives so I could send a full drive somewhere else for safe-keeping and just add a new one myself.

Doesn't look like that's the way it's made, though. Oh well, still an awesome product! I gotta make sure my parent's and my grandmother get one...if they lose all their photos they'll be asking ME to restore them and right now I won't be able to help them!

19. macrumors Core

don't forget that Time Machine isn't a clone of your drive, its a continuous backup. thus with a larger drive you'll be able to have things backed up longer and be able to revert to items further back.

20. macrumors 65816

If it can support multiple machines backup-up to it then some sort of partitioning must be going on, but I guess it depends whether this is hidden from the user or if its up to you to assign space and control permissions.

UK Prices:

500Gb - £199
    1TB - £329

21. macrumors 65816

citi

yeah...as I read between the two products, I thought, wait, this is airport extreme with a hard drive. Why couldn't they just update the firmware in airport extreme? Sucks for people who already bought one.

It is obvious that this is the reason wireless hd backup never worked. They were coming out with time capsule from the very beginning.

22. macrumors regular

exactly what i was about to ask...

is it just for time machine back up or can it just act as a wireless hard drive? i'd love to be able to acces whatever files i want from anywhere in my house wirelessly....

if this is not a feature, apple messed up bigtime.....

23. macrumors 6502

I just realized precisely the same thing. Ugly, ugly realization.

24. macrumors regular

what does NAS mean that everyone is referring to?

Also, does anyone know if this thing will be able to store my media (movies, music etc) and stream it to my MPB? If I could remove all of my movies and photographs and keep it on this, and then access them when I need, I'm buying one.

Most importantly though, will I be able to stream movies off of it? On to my MPB or an :apple:TV in the future?

25. macrumors 6502a

Slip

This seems a must when the router/external hard drive packs up.
    Would finally be at .11n speeds then aswell ;)