Apple Announces Winner of App Store's 50 Billionth Download Contest

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 16, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today announced the winner of its "50 Billion App Countdown" promotion that saw the company pass that milestone on Wednesday afternoon.

Word game Say the Same Thing from the band OK Go was the milestone download, with Brandon Ashmore from Mentor, Ohio making the winning download. Ashmore will will receive an iTunes Gift Card worth US$10,000. For the first time, Apple also gave the fifty downloaders after the big winner US$500 iTunes Gift Cards.
    Apple ran similar promotions for ten billion and twenty-five billion downloads, in January 2011 and March 2012 respectively.

The App Store took just under five years to hit the fifty billion download mark, though the rate of downloads has been accelerating and is now at more than 20 billion app downloads per year.

Article Link: Apple Announces Winner of App Store's 50 Billionth Download Contest

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

$10,000 worth of iTunes is a lot. It would be nice if some of that were actual cash. Nevertheless, it's a big prize just for downloading something.

3. macrumors member

Monkeys and bananas. Who would have guessed :eek:

4. macrumors newbie

I was sleeping while the 50th billion app was downloaded. :eek:

5. macrumors member

Do you think Apple pick the exact 50 billionth app as the winner, or they look a few downloads either side for one that is worthy of publicizing?

6. macrumors member

How Close Did I Get?

What would make this fun is if you were, like me, trying to win by using multiple devices and downloading right about the time the final app was downloaded if Apple would tell you how close you got. I didn't win anything & probably never will, but it'd be cool to see if somehow I was only a handful of downloads off.

7. macrumors 6502

powerslave12r

At the rate the apps are downloaded, and adding in server latencies around the world and rounding errors etc, I'm sure there are multiple 'winners' for a given second, or even a hundreth of a second. Perhaps a lottery from the 'simultaneous' downloaders (that's not publicized for obvious reasons).

Pure speculation.

It would be interesting to know how they count the exact winner.

8. macrumors 68040

the8thark

Nah they just look at all the downloads on the same second and just randomly choose one. Exactly what app is the winning download means nothing. It's the whole 50 billion promo that apple wants.

9. macrumors newbie

I was really hoping it would be something embarrassing like Grindr Xtra.

10. macrumors regular

I see the "Same Thing" icon and instantly think "Samsung": does anybody else think they put their cheeky little monkeys up to buying endless copies of this game so that it could be the "winner" of this contest?

11. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Congratulations to the winner!

12. macrumors 6502a

I'd uses it to migrate my iTunes purchases from my Gmail Email to my iCloud Email. But I would still have A LOT left over. I wonder if it could be used for iRadio subscription as well. (if apple does announce a subscription based music service)

13. macrumors 68000

iGrip

Will he be allowed to sell it in $100 chunks on eBay? Who the heck would EVER spend that much for fart apps?

I think that cash would have been a better prize than a credit at the app store so big that it can never be used.

14. macrumors newbie

Amadeus71

What were the odds of the winner coming from the US ?

15. Guest

WeegieMac

Setting your poor attempt at sarcasm aside, I'm sure you're more than aware there's a lot more than just "fart apps" on the App Store. There's a lot more quality on the App Store than the Play Store, that's for sure.

16. macrumors 68000

1080p

Would have been funny if the 50 billionth app was a Google app... like Google Maps.

Salt in an open wound.

17. macrumors 65816

AQUADock

The guidelines state that the winnings are not transferable, and fart apps are not the only applications sold in the app store.
    I was never aware that large amounts of money can be so large that they cannot be used. Troll harder next time.

18. macrumors regular

designaholic

Quite. Shame it can't be spent on Apple hardware, although I don't know why I even give a s***, I didn't win it ;)

19. macrumors 65816

Such a mind boggling number.

20. macrumors 6502a

kilcher

The article states it's an iTunes gift card so the winner should be able to use it for apps, music, movies, books, etc.

21. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

"OK go" to play at WWDC with the launch of iRadio. :D

22. macrumors 65816

Four oF NINE

Apparently haven't explored the app store very deeply, or you have limited interests.

It's a great prize.

23. Guest

WeegieMac

I have a feeling that even if it had been, Apple would have chosen the next person! :D

24. macrumors 6502

The winner will probably just buy a bunch of gems for a game like Clash of Clans.

25. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

I don't know how it's linked to Samsung, not even remotely, but hey, thanks for the laugh. :D