Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Customers (screaming): iPhone screens are too small! You need to make a bigger phone!
Apple: -releases bigger phone-
Customers (still screaming): iPhone screens are too big! You should go back to the smaller size!
Apple: -releases iPod Touch with A8 chip and then decides customers are going to whine no matter what they do-

Love my iPhone 6 Plus! :D

At risk of stating the obvious, customers aren't a united homogeneous group. Some want smaller screens and some larger. Apple can't (and hasn't) satisfied everybody by forcing either small or large screens on the market.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Does Apple have data to show how many are still using an iPhone 4 or 5 or 6? Or would that be only the cell phone carriers that have this data? I'd love to see a chart graph showing how many people in the world are still using a 4" iPhone.

Theere would be a lot. I'd estimate 70 percent of people at least are on 3.5 or 4 inch iPhones. The 6 sold very well to android switchers, but a lower than expected number of people upgraded.

https://david-smith.org/iosversionstats/

Suggests that about 50 percent of iPhone users on 4 inch phones, 10 on 3.5 inch phones and 30 on the 6 and 6+, based on recent app updates.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I've heard plenty of people complain, far more than on this forum. Again, the 6 and 6+ are huge with android switchers, and not as much with iPhone upgraders. Also people on 4 inch phones, such as the 5 and 5S haven't really started mass upgrading yet. The demand for a new 4 inch phone will pick up then.

Well then perhaps it shows the stubbornness that iPhone users have. A 4.7 inch phone isn't big.

And if if there hasn't been a massive upgrading from 5s who brought all the iPhone 6 and 6 pluses? Those were not all android switchers who brought the 6.

But I guess everyone has their own preference. I just think a 4 inch phone is too damn small.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Well then perhaps it shows the stubbornness that iPhone users have. A 4.7 inch phone isn't big.

And if if there hasn't been a massive upgrading from 5s who brought all the iPhone 6 and 6 pluses? Those were not all android switchers who brought the 6.

But I guess everyone has their own preference. I just think a 4 inch phone is too damn small.

Yes exactly. Your own opinion. Its also your own option that the 4. isn't big. I find it big enough to be useless for my purposes. Its got nothing to do with stubbornness. If Apple had gotten rid of the 11 and 13 inch MacBooks, forcing everyone onto 15 inch MacBooks, people wouldn't be happy either. Different people, different purposes, different preferences.

Sure some people went from the 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5C and 5S but that doesn't mean anything. Some previous iPhone users like big screens, some don't.

Ishayu

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Denmark
I think iPhone 6 is too large, which is the reason I don't want one. My index finger cannot reach across the screen and hit the back button. This leaves me very disappointed.

EDIT: I see a lot of people being dismissive of this issue in this thread, because "4.7 inches isn't that large" or whatever. Look, some of us have small hands. So small, in fact, that we can only barely reach the upper left hand corner with our right hand index finger on a 4" screen, which is very important as that often contains the back button. My thumb is only 6cm (2.36") long, so I just can't reach on these big screens without resting my entire finger on the display, in which case I will surely activate something else I didn't intend to.

Result: iPhone 6 is less usable and less powerful for me than iPhone 5 was. I can't use it. I don't want it. I'd rather switch to Android. When iPhone 5 is no longer supported, I will do so!

This issue is really that simple. Either I get a 4" or smaller iPhone or I stop using iPhone. It's not because I'm stubborn or don't like Apple products, I just CANNOT USE THE BIG SCREEN PHONES. The end.

Last edited:

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
In an ideal world, I would like a 3.5 inch phone. They were perfect for me, and I already find the 4 inch phones to be a little too big. I have the 5s which if a new 4 inch phone isn't released, I will keep as long as possible. I don't believe that I am the only sale they are missing out on.

kwrzesien

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
I want a 4" 6s. I dont want a cut down phone just because i want a smaller version. I do fine- ish with the 6 but its not as good as my good old 5 in my hand. One handed use works fine though, still prefer the 4 inch because one handed use is less of a mission.

I and other people who want smaller screens shouldn't have to get a weaker phone then the larger phones. Only reason i upgraded was that over 2 years this 6 would be cheaper then staying with my 5.

There won't be a 4" 6s because the Force Touch screen will be a part of the "s" specs and there isn't a 4" Force Touch screen being developed, or the analysts would be all over it. However a 4" 6 would be very possible, and more powerful than a 4.7" 6 due to less pixels to drive by the same A8 processor.

Personally I would like to see a 4.3" 6c with the same pixels as the 4.7" screens today.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I know they're not ditching the Plus models, but I wondered what will happen to the current Plus when a new once is released. Whether the lineup might look like this:

iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus.
Why not - iPhone 5S, iPhone 6/6Plus, iPhone 6S/6S Plus

what is the benefit to Apple to not discount last year model?

kwrzesien

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
Why not - iPhone 5S, iPhone 6/6Plus, iPhone 6S/6S Plus

what is the benefit to Apple to not discount last year model?

Typically they are limited by the manufacturing capacity of the most recent premium case body and thus have plenty of the previous gen parts (A8/camera/etc.) but the bodies are all spoken for by the new model with A9 and newest parts for the premium price. Thus what do you put the A8's into? It would be design work either way to port it back to the 5S style body (which wasn't a cheap body) so might as well use a plastic multicolored body for a 6c. Does it have to be 4"? No, it could be the same 4.7" screen from the 6, the same 4" screen from the 5S/iTouch or a new screen (3.5"-4.3"). It just can't be a Touch Force screen as those will be 4.7" & 5.5" and dedicated to the 6s/6s+.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Actually a lot of Apple users always thought and still think that phablets are ridiculous and useless, and that 4'' was the perfect size for a phone.

I'm sure some Apple customers do, but I remember forums on here being completely packed full of people saying "the iPhone 5s is way too small compared to the competition" and now suddenly it's "the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are way too big, Apple's losing their touch." Why does nothing please you people? :p

Reactions: Shirasaki

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Except that the customers screaming for a bigger iPhone never were the same that now scream for a smaller iPhone. "Customers" are not a huge, homogenous blob, you know?

They are when it comes to trying to please everyone. Apple will never be able to please everyone no matter what they do. If they release a 4", 4.7", and 5.5" new phone with A9 chips in all of them with the same specs, people will complain that the more expensive, larger phones aren't worth the extra cost. If they put better specs in the bigger phones, they'll say Apple doesn't care about their customers who like the 4" size. If they do three screen sizes, people will say Apple is losing their focus on just a few great products; if they do just one or two screen sizes, people will say Apple doesn't give them enough choices.

This isn't just in reference to Apple, to be sure. It's the same with any company. But people, the huge, homogenous blob of them who all act like children, are pretty good at finding things to whine about. :) Personally, I feel like the iPhone 6 is so darn thin, with barely-existent bezels and it's rather narrow screen, that I don't think it's a huge leap from the iPhone 5s (even though the screen is noticeably bigger). The 6 Plus is a huge phone, but that's why I suspect Apple decided to make two so they could minimize the complaints. But I guess you can't please everyone.

Not that we shouldn't call Apple out on their failings. I think complaining about screen size is not as serious an issue as software glitches or hardware defects, however.

Reactions: Shirasaki

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
At risk of stating the obvious, customers aren't a united homogeneous group. Some want smaller screens and some larger. Apple can't (and hasn't) satisfied everybody by forcing either small or large screens on the market.

They're not a homogenous group, but they are homogenous in that they all find ways to complain no matter what Apple does. Even if they make a phone that is basically flawless- indestructible, unbelievable battery life, incredible performance, unbelievable camera and display, amazing design, zero software glitches- people will complain anyway.

So basically we agree. :D But I guess my point is that people here (and admittedly, I AM in a forum for a site called MacRumors) are making a huge deal out of something that's... really not that big a deal.

Reactions: Michael Goff

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Apple could have easily fixed that by offering a 4, 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhone 6, or even just putting the guts of the iPod Touch 6+ the network connections into a 5S.

But then the complaint in the forums will be "Apple used to be so focused on making just a couple of great products, and now they have this huge lineup of products and they all suck." There's no pleasing people haha

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
Ok, I want a flip phone with a 2" screen. Apple is screwing me too since they don't make one. Or I need a rugged phone for construction work, Apple doesn't have anything that fits the bill. I need a water resistant phone, again, Apple comes up short. Some people don't want a smart phone, just a simple phone to make calls now and again. Which model does Apple have to meet that need? Apple is screwing millions of people world wide. But they keep making record profits quarter after quarter. Why don't they make a rugged flip phone?

Apple never supported Blu-ray. Apple was late to the party with USB 3. Apple used Firewire. The incentive didn't matter then either.

Apple isn't screwing people by not offering a rugged 2" phone but they would get even more customers and make even more money if they did. I am in the market right now for a 4" and was hoping to get the iPhone 6C. Now I don't know what to do. But what is the big deal by not continuing to offer the smaller version that they have had since day 1.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You are very right. I would also pay the same price for a 4 inch version as they charge for the 4.7.
So what would you do if apple simply ignores the demand of users like you? I mean, if apple never release a smaller phone, what would you do?

IPod market is shrinking over time, and it doesn't have a bigger screen, even the most recent 6th generation. I know this is not enough to consider this as a proof of more people is not going to buy a phone with a smaller display, but this could be a reference, implying users are keen on devices with larger screen.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I'm still going to wait and see, but I don't really want to go two years without a new iPhone (and I'm not getting a phablet when the 5/5s is technically a larger phone than a phone should be)
IIRC new androids are announced about the same time, so this could actually be a switch the other way.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
It seems doubtful Apple would have made an iPhone 6C in the first place.

Apple used updated iPhone 5 internals for the 5C. The natural next step is using the iPhone 5S internals and updating them to support Apple Pay and whatever else (e.g. updated LTE, camera, etc).

There's justification for the existence of a 4" option. Some people don't want or physically cannot use phones larger than 4". Many voices are asking Apple to continue to give them a smaller option. Since the iPhone 5S is 4" and is already in line for the low-end device category, it's the obvious choice for the 2015-2016 iPhone line-up.

2016-2017 is when Apple has to start thinking of how it wants to address both the fans of the 4" form as well as to squeeze larger phone internals into that smaller package.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
It seems doubtful Apple would have made an iPhone 6C in the first place.

Apple used updated iPhone 5 internals for the 5C. The natural next step is using the iPhone 5S internals and updating them to support Apple Pay and whatever else (e.g. updated LTE, camera, etc).

There's justification for the existence of a 4" option. Some people don't want or physically cannot use phones larger than 4". Many voices are asking Apple to continue to give them a smaller option. Since the iPhone 5S is 4" and is already in line for the low-end device category, it's the obvious choice for the 2015-2016 iPhone line-up.

2016-2017 is when Apple has to start thinking of how it wants to address both the fans of the 4" form as well as to squeeze larger phone internals into that smaller package.
I would have expected this year to be the "has to" year; those of us who usually update every year have already had to wait a year longer, while some people update every two years.
Do you really think people are going to be happy waiting three years to upgrade to the next iPhone?

Reactions: oldmacs

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Maybe for you. For me the 4.7 and 5.5 are giant and useless. Not sure what the hate is, there is a market for 4 inch phones, so Apple having a 4, 4.7 and 5.5 inch phone would be great. Choice is a good thing.

And there's probably a market for a 4.3", 4.5", 3.5", and 5.2". But Apple is hardly going to make all of those. Also, I doubt they're going to go for more than two sizes of any product these days.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I just can't understand why they can't just offer 3 sizes. They offer 3 laptop sizes, and they offered all sorts of iPod sizes.

Which laptop comes in three sizes? The MacBook that only comes in 12" isn't it. The MacBook Pro that comes in at 13" and 15" isn't it. And the Air comes in at 11" and 13". There is no laptop that you can buy from the Apple store new today that comes in three sizes. I just checked.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Hmm...this is an interesting idea. Nothing says iPhones can only be launched in September.
There are two trends to evaluate:
(1) Apple has only ever launched iPhones in September/October; it has never done so in another month.
(2) Apple has always taken the current top model and moved it down to the lower tier model, dropping the previous lower tier off the chart.
(3) Apple has, since the 3g, offered new designs only once every two years.

Is Apple likely do diverge from any of these? Would they diverge from one but not the others?

I'm disappointed if they don't release a successor to the 5c. I would like a 4" phone, but more important to me, I like the materials and styling of the 5c better than I liked the 5/5S and the 6/6 Plus, considerably. If they came out with a 6c that wasn't 4" but was instead a 4.7" phone with the plastic case akin to the 5c, I'd be perfectly happy.

Assuming they do not come out with a 6c, and that they do not change the designs, I may in fact opt to ride it out with my 5c another year. I'd be missing TouchID for another year, and Apple Pay...but perhaps I will like the offerings better a year from now. It appears that iOS 9 is intended to run fine on my 5c, so I'm not worried at this point about that.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
Which laptop comes in three sizes? The MacBook that only comes in 12" isn't it. The MacBook Pro that comes in at 13" and 15" isn't it. And the Air comes in at 11" and 13". There is no laptop that you can buy from the Apple store new today that comes in three sizes. I just checked.
You're drawing too thick borders around the subfamilies within the MacBook lineup. Compare this to the iPad family: there are different sizes of iPad (the Air and the mini) even though they are two distinct products. MacBooks come in four sizes right now. They have different suffixes to their names and different capabilities just like the iPad, but still, they are all MacBooks, different flavours of the Mac notebook.

It's been some time since an individual subfamily in the MacBook lineup had three screen sizes. The MacBook Pro used to come in three sizes for a while: 13-inch, 15-inch and 17-inch. The 13-inch model was added in 2009 and the 17-inch model was discontinued in 2012 (not 2011; corrected).

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
You're drawing too thick borders around the subfamilies within the MacBook lineup. Compare this to the iPad family: there are different sizes of iPad (the Air and the mini) even though they are two distinct products. MacBooks come in four sizes right now. They have different suffixes to their names and different capabilities just like the iPad, but still, they are all MacBooks, different flavours of the Mac notebook.

It's been some time since an individual subfamily in the MacBook lineup had three screen sizes. The MacBook Pro used to come in three sizes for a while: 13-inch, 15-inch and 17-inch. The 13-inch model was added in 2009 and the 17-inch model was discontinued in 2012 (not 2011; corrected).

No, they're different products for different people with different needs. That'd be like saying all Dell laptops are the same. They're not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.