Apple applies for patent - Multiple personas for mobile devices

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kiwi, Jul 11, 2003.

1. kiwi macrumors member

Jan 4, 2003
    Multiple personas for mobile devices
    June 12, 2003
    United States Patent Application"&OS="apple+computer"&RS="apple+computer"

Over at the Register...

"Apple has filed for a patent that suggest the company is working on a new mobile device capable of supporting multiple users. Either that or it's cunningly trying to outflank Microsoft's lead on fast multi-user switching by retrospectively patenting the technique as its own.

Almost as interesting as the patent's content is the name of its lead inventor: Steve Capps, erstwhile Mac OS Finder co-designer and more recently Microsoft's Windows UI architect. Capps is also remembered as the designer of the UI used in Apple's Newton PDA. That gives you an idea of the application's heritage......."

There's more....
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    PDA maybe? I doubt they would ever get into the PDA market OR the mobile phone market. Too much competition in both areas, and Sony does it well with their Clie. I don't see much use for it on a mobile phone.
  3. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2003
    According to the Register, they're just making an addendum to a patent that Apple already holds from way back in 1995 (possibly to include fast user switching?). This patent is actually nothing very new, they're just changing the wording a little bit. I don't think this is very telling of a PDA or mobile phone device or anything ..
  4. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    this has been discussed (somewhere on this site)

it appears to be a continuation on an old patent and is related to the Newton

Ah... I see what they are saying now... trying to outpatent Microsoft?

5. Pancake macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2003
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Am I happy 'cuz they're sticking it to "The Man", or unhappy 'cuz they're trying to position themeselvs as "The Man"?
  6. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    Gorgeous, WA
    Does this have sonmething to do with having your iPod synch with your home folder/act as it and switching to your profile when you plug it into a mac..."iPal"?