Apple Asking Feedback for Leopard 9A499

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 14, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple mailed out a survey link for ADC developers asking for feedback on the current Leopard seed (9A499).

The survey is actually asking developers for a comparison between Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and the shipping version of Mac OS X Tiger (10.4):
    The survey provides comparison choices of

- Much Worse
    - Somewhat worse
    - About the same
    - Somewhat better
    - Much better

on a wide range of Mac OS X tools and features. The described areas of comparison are broken down into Mail & Web, Graphics & Media, Setup & Mobility, Desktop & Interface, Productivity & Communication, and Sharing & Devices.

You must be an ADC developer to participate in the survey (verified by email).

Apple is expected to ship the final version of Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) in October.

Article Link

2. macrumors 6502a

Vidd

It looks as if they're cutting it close if they're not going to delay it further.
    It's mid-August already but it's a good opportunity.

3. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

yeah, not sure how much meaningful feedback and changes they can make for something like this.

(by october)

arn

4. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I'm an online ADC member and didn't receive this. I guess they only want people with hands on experience to rate it.

5. macrumors 6502a

galstaph

premier and select adc only I assume?
    Does this mean they believe they are close to a final version? (please please) Any guesses on a date yet? (other than in october)

6. macrumors 68020

ipedro

October 31st @ 11:59 PST

7. macrumors 65816

Luis

Agree.

What can they do if dev's tell them the new finder (or whatever other big feature) sucks? re-write it?

8. macrumors 6502

bananas

Apple must think they are doing pretty well, they just wanna know if someone disagrees. This is the last change to fix things before the release.

9. macrumors Core

i'm guessing that at this point the finishing touches are being worked on for Leopard and that if they see something though this sort of survey they can act rather quickly since its a focal point. at least i'd hope so.

10. macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Lol I sent one using a random name I found on Apple Pr Mr Todd Wilder I put the email as twilder@mac.com hehe :D

11. macrumors 65816

Luis

Would guess so...

They have to be in the final version or really really close to it if they are going to release it in october.

12. macrumors regular

um....why?:confused:

13. macrumors 601

Schtumple

I can see the news now "Apple further delays leopard (untill 2008) because developers don't like expose icon"

14. macrumors newbie

I sure hope they get enough feedback on the desktop and interface. The transparent menu bar and new dock needs to be configurable. <ie> Be able to change it back to 10.4.x style.

15. macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

heh just for jokes.. I'm bored... :D

16. macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well, it seems like it's awefully close to be sending out a survey of this importance now. Leopard should be nearly complete, with only minor kinks being worked out at this point.

Sadly, I think we are looking at an October 30th or 31st release. If this survey is any indication, Apple will still be hammering out details a few hours before press time.

17. macrumors member

Nifty idea.

Maybe they should've tried this before releasing the new iMovie.;)

18. macrumors 65816

Stike

Never.
    Apple will make sure that there will be no disaster like "Windows XP in Win 2000 look" just for the sake of it, or, gasp, to even save some CPU cycles! No way!

They want a unified look, and such an option would work against it... IF it is possible, probably only in a hidden way, Tinkertool-style.

19. macrumors regular

ummmm...shouldn't they have done this type of survey much earlier? considering they probably have 1 month left for development and polishing before the software goes gold, what if the response they get is largely negative?

i have a feeling that they saw the large negative response from iMovie, and they're trying to make sure it doesn't happen to leopard as well.

20. macrumors 6502

feature creep?

bottom line for me? I'm really not that excited for the actual release. I'm more interested in what people will do with core animation. I hope to god someone does with it what apple should have done a while ago and start chipping away at the desktop metaphor.

take a look at the feature list. what are you excited for?

21. macrumors 6502

to me its obviously to help them make an informed decision on weather to delay are rework

22. macrumors 603

I hope people tell them to not make the menubar so ****ing ugly.

23. macrumors Core

the menubar look has already been said that its optional. but i don't see them doing that for the dock. i just don't like the 'flashlight' look over the current arrows.

24. macrumors newbie

acris10

this news does make me a little leery of the october release date, like the move of the spring release date to october, there wasn't much warning

25. macrumors newbie

So I am not sure if it is just my setup but I find that with BOTH the current and the last leopard build I have consistent instability with MS Office apps. (jokes aside on MS stability in general) others running Leopard try to view a powerpoint presentation in presentation view, I get a crash every time on 2 different machines. I also get crashes in word when dealing with files larger than 10 pages with any type of tables. I did not get this under tiger.