Apple Asks Developers to Choose New Age Categories for Kids Apps Ahead of iOS 7 Launch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 16, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple today sent an email to registered developers asking them to choose a new age range for apps directed at children as part of a new Kids category that the company plans to introduce to the App Store with iOS 7. Available age ranges are 5 and under, 6-8, and 9-11, with each app only able to be assigned to a single category at a time.

Earlier this week, Apple updated its App Store Review Guidelines with an entirely new section regarding apps for children. Under the terms of the new rules, kids apps must include a privacy policy, may not include behavioral advertising (ads based on in-app activity, for example) and must ask for parental permission before before allowing children to access links to outside content or make in-app purchases.

iOS 7, with the new Kids Category, is expected to be released in the fall with an announcement coming as early as September 10.

Article Link: Apple Asks Developers to Choose New Age Categories for Kids Apps Ahead of iOS 7 Launch
  2. macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2007
    5 and under is a large range. That could do with being broken down a little.
  3. macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2003
    So if you have a finger print sensor, you record your kids print and then they can only access kids apps?
  4. macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2012
    I was thinking the same and totally agree. The disaparity what 2 years old, or 4 years old is capable off is huge.
  5. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    New Age categories for kids?

So... like what... Crystals, Auras, and Past Lives?
  6. Editor

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Funny! :p
  7. macrumors 65816

Apr 21, 2011
    Exactly. What my god daughter did at 1 is vastly different then what she can did at 2. And now at's even night and day.

Lots of toy companies, especially learning toy companies break it down like this.

Birth - 12 Months
    1 -2 Years
    2 - 3 Years
    3 - 4 Years
    4+ Years

Seems to make sense for Apps.
  8. macrumors 68040

Sep 20, 2006
    Aussie living in Canada
    I agree. Those ages are so diverse. Motor and cognitive skills are so different.

Apps for 1 year olds. One day society is going to have the attention span of a squirrel on meth.
  9. macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2009
    This is a great idea. Apple is already ahead of the game on this vs. GooglePlay and it's one of the reasons my chiled uses an iPad instead of the Nexus 7. It is so difficult to find good ratings on kids games out there.
  10. macrumors 6502

May 18, 2013
    how can a kid aged 5 and under play games on a phone, and i also think that this range should be extended to 13, a 13 year old is also a kid.
  11. macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2009
    LOL! Believe it or not it is entirely possible.
  12. macrumors 6502

May 18, 2013
    really? oh my god:eek:....
  13. macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2013
    Bearing in mind how big the app business has become, the iTunes categories are pretty rubbish for app discovery. Just check out the lifestyle one. So the introduction of the kids category is a step in the right direction.
  14. macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2009
    It's a funny sight, especially when you get two toddlers "working" on the iPhone. They seem to really like the puzzle games especially... and also moving and deleting apps. The latest accesability settings for locking out the home button were a godsend.