Apple Asks Developers to Prepare for New 'Safari Push Notification' Feature in Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 4, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has asked developers to prepare for Safari Push Notifications, a new feature included in OS X Mavericks, according to Cult of Mac.

Safari Push Notifications allow websites to send push notifications to website users even when Safari is not running.
    Apple offers extensive implementation information on Safari Push Notifications on its developer website and iMore has looked at the feature previously.

Mavericks also adds new interactivity to push notifications, allowing users to perform tasks like replying to an iMessage, or deleting an email, right from the notification. OS X Mavericks is expected to be released later this fall.

Article Link: Apple Asks Developers to Prepare for New 'Safari Push Notification' Feature in Mavericks

2. macrumors 6502a

What an annoying "feature". Get spammed directly in your web browser.

3. Guest

Sky Blue

People are still getting this confused with a non-existent feature that lets iOS apps send notifications to OS X.

4. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

you best have to be signed up to a wesbite and not just any website you frequent because that would get annoying real quick.

5. macrumors 6502a

Glassed Silver

That's some shocking breaking news right there :D (in the screenshot)

Glassed Silver:mac

6. macrumors 601

HiRez

I hope there's a way to turn this off, right? I imagine someone will quickly write a push notification whitelist/blacklist extension if not, but it should be a built-in preference...and OFF by default, but I doubt it. Already having issues with Mountain Lion app notifications constantly getting in my way.

7. macrumors 6502

8. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

For me.....

a direct Apple request on some feature or set of features shows a push in that direction. Or future plans to rely or bid high in such features. Have to wait and see how Apple implements the things in real world and how these things fare....

:):apple:

9. macrumors regular

I wonder how soon Mavericks is going to be released then... surely not next week already? Maybe (if we're getting Macs next week, which doesn't seem too likely anymore) they'll be getting the 10.8.5 which Apple seems to be putting a fair amount of work into.

Slightly related: does anyone know if you can check off a reminder directly from the notification in Mavericks? That's something that really bugs me in ML... I don't like waiting for the reminders app to open just so I can check something off.

10. macrumors 6502

Is it just me or does anyone else really hate getting notifications? I disable everything and wish I could turn notification center off completely.

This new feature sounds super annoying.

11. macrumors regular

This could be extremely useful and possible a replacement for my rss reader.
    I hope that Macrumors do this so that I don't need to constantly check the news.

12. macrumors 6502

starbird

To all those complaining about this feature, just don't turn it on. Don't enable it on any website that requests it. 'Nuff said.

13. macrumors member

Well, I can already do exactly the same thing with an RSS reader. But some sites don't have an RSS feed, so I guess this could be a nice feature.

14. macrumors member

Yeah! Even more notifications! That's what I've been waiting for...

15. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

Guys, this is Apple. Of course you aren't going to get spammed. It's opt-in and sites must be registered with Apple.

From iMore:

16. macrumors 68030

cmChimera

17. macrumors 65816

w0lf

Will clicking the notification open the page in Safari or your default web browser?

18. macrumors 65816

19. macrumors 65816

Although I use Safari as my default browser, this is a great question.

20. macrumors regular

Since the sites are vetted by Apple, most unlikely.

Also, Safari has had notifications built-in since RSS inexplicably vanished. The popularity of those is such that I have had a deluge of exactly no sites offering notifications...

According to 9to5Mac, the default browser.

21. macrumors G4

Small White Car

What's interesting is that Apple is giving websites a way to be more app-like.

You know, the same Apple that wants to "trap" you in their walled garden and "monopolize" everything by forcing people to use the App Store.

This kind of lets some air out of that bag, huh?

22. macrumors 68030

cmChimera

I doubt that Apple would block MacRumors. Apple loves this site I'm pretty sure.

23. macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

1997 called. IE 4.0 wants its "Active Channel" back...

24. macrumors 65816

So, basically RSS feeds pushed to your desktop, but instead of RSS it will be some proprietary Apple BS. And annoying. No thanks.

25. macrumors 68040

boshii

This seems useful to me.

Use it for the sites you want and don't use it for the ones you don't. Not a big deal.