Apple at Greek Games '04?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by lilblueimac, Aug 13, 2004.

1. lilblueimac macrumors newbie

How did Steve get the gig for the thousands of iPod earbuds worn by the children's choir? And why didn't they let Ive design the torch? I'm certain he would have come up with something better than a giant white cigar!

2. Eleven macrumors newbie

lmao! I was thinking the same thing about those little white earbuds..

3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I doubt they were iPods. They were just white headphones that were used so the choir could hear itself and the orchestra (I assume that was a life orchestra).

4. lilblueimac thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you really think I was serious?! :confused: ;)

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

They weren't iPod earbuds or the in-ear headphones :p They were most likely monitors, so they could hear the background music and probably themselves (even though they didn't appear to be individually mic'd). Why they went with huge white ones, you got me :confused:

6. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I swear, I don't do drugs or anything.. but that torch looked like a massive joint.

7. Peter9 macrumors member

wow i thought that same thing.

8. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

HA HA HA!!!

The greeks love their reefer. :cool:

I work at a local NBC station and a bunch of us were watching the ceremonies. When that torch came into view everyone just went silent, started looking around at everyone else and then just burst out laughing. It was great!

Apparently someone toked too hard on that giant reefer too, because the torch actually went out. They said it was due to faulty gas lines...

:D

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The kids were probably area-miked.

I thought the cauldron was cool. But then again, I cry at the torch relay so I would have thought it was cool if it was burning weed instead of propane.

10. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

here is the Producers of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife and I were also wondering about the ear plugs. The torch didn't impress me either. I really missed the usual caldron also.

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    but the opening ceremony was great!!! giant reefer torch aside :)

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Me too...

It would have been more powerful for them to have totally copied the the torch.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Actually I thought it was for the safety of the torch bearer. Could you imagine if the gas was set too high when he he lit it? :eek:

After Sydney, it is hard to come up with a better show for the torch really. The only thing better is if NYC gets it, then we can use Star Wars satellites to light from space. But then again the system would end up setting fire to Jersey City.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The relay brought tears to my eyes. I was just slightly disappointed that more respect was not paid to the Munich or Moscow games. Munich for the lose of life, but Moscow since politics paid a price that year.

16. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Whilst I didn't cry - I did like the way they did the torch relay, with the falls of WWI and WWII.

As for the lighting...
    Mmmm I was expecting a huge traditional cauldron!
    Long skinny joint like, fallic looking, pencil, pen, eye liner, or whatever it was (I think I heard someone say it was a larger model of the actual torches carried by the runners)... well not my cup of tea.

Being an aussie I was very proud and impressed of our cauldron - especially the cool way Cathy Freeman lit it... in water... then the whole cauldron rose around her... and up (after the slight pause) to become the top section!

Very cool!
    After such a technically oriented start to the Opening Ceremony maybe they ran out of time and money for the cauldron - like the roof of the pool?

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

while i agree with you about the relay i dident like the opening ceremony i much prefered the sydney one, it just seem cold and rather boring.

18. ifjake macrumors 6502a

i liked the australia cauldron that was cool. i prefer the cauldron style torch, but the greek one was still pretty neat. my favorite lighting has to be the one when it was lit by a flaming arrow. i haven't been around all that long so i don't remember which one that was. i was probably 4 or somethin.

19. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Barcelona 1992