Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by TranceClubMusic
Its amazing how the entire movie "Finding Nemo" was all done on a G5 - thats pretty kool in my book. :cool:
Well, not really... as Finding Nemo was running in the theatres, nobody knew about the G5... Nemo: May 2003, G5 intro: June 2003 :p

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
Originally posted by TRiPod
lol ya nemo wasnt made with g5's.... maybe the incredibles though...

mmm, these movies take years to make. Incredibles seems a bit soon. Cars: Maybe. Ratatoille: Almost positive it will be done via G5

army_guy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Originally posted by agreenster
Which is exactly why there is the move towards the G5 (IBM's PPC 970) and OSX (Apple's version of Unix). It has already proven to be fast and dependable.

Hey, if its good enough for Pixar...

gotta luv the gcc complier.....

:D

err iam afraid not, not for EDA applications it can never happen, if you wana enter this kind of market then you have to take on companies like SUN, IBM and INTEL. I doubt apple would considering pitting machines againt the SPARC and ITANIUM series not to mention the POWER. OSX doesnt even compare to an industry used OS such as Solaris/AIX/REDHAT ENTERPRISE AS/HPUNIX, other than the fancy graphics. I think you have a different idea of what dependable and stable is.

IMO OSX doesnt have the grunt and punch, it still needs alot of work and it is still a pure 32-bit OS. OSX is good but theres lots of room for improvement, Apple will get here but its gona take time.

Blark

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2004
Originally posted by army_guy
Ohh please, this is the kind of people who make me laugh. Advantages ohhh over xeon/opteron, what are you talking about? your making out like these are crap machines?

Did I say that? Nice straw man you're setting up there. I outlined what Apple's serious problems are in the 3D space: no pro graphics cards; no optimised compilers or apps; and processor speeds that make them only competitive with Intel/AMD, not superior. (Numerous benchmarks have shown that a single 2 Ghz G5 is approximately equal to a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 or Xeon; sometimes faster, sometimes slower). I was responding to the rumour that they were planning a big showing at SIGGRAPH, and speculating that this might mean these issues would be addressed.

A dual 3 Ghz would, based on extrapolation from existing benchmarks, be a significant improvement on current and near future processors from Intel and AMD in terms of scalar integer and FP, as well as system bandwidth (if Apple manages to pull off a 1.5 Ghz bus...).

The major 3d tools major platform is still x86. They have moved from unix to linux and windows. 3D Studio Max is still windows and also Softimage is still linux/windows. I should also mention that Mental Ray also scales better than render man, Until these major tools come to OSX the "serious users" will still use the current platform.

The 3D market is extremely heterogeneous. Yes, there has been a definitive shift over the last ten years from Workstation vendors and OSes (SGI, SUN etc.; IRIX, Solaris, etc.) to commodity hardware and OSes (Windows, and to a far lesser extent, Mac OS). Major vendors on the software side are support the Mac OS: Alias, Maxon, Luxology, Newtek, Discreet (Combustion), Mental Ray, etc. More than 25% of Alias's sales of Maya are now to Mac OS seats.

I thought the G5 was a great machine and still is however the performance is exagarated when you see an Opteron running 64-bit linux ripping through an Hspice simulation with a power 4 sitting beside it id think hard about what your saying.

I wish I had a G5; maybe on my next grant. My regard for the Mac as a visualization tool has at least as much to do with the Mac OS; our cell systems visualization work just works better on the Mac, due to its superior memory management (over Windows at least). Our last simulation runs would constantly stall and crash on our Xeons and Pentiums, but it was smooth sailing on our dual G4s.

As for renderfarms i havent been keeping up to date with the subject but from personal experience id stick with the SUN systems.

Yes, you haven't been keeping up. PIXAR, which used to use SUN, currently uses Xeons for their render farm. The UltraSparc is currently topped out at 1.28 Ghz.

err iam afraid not, not for EDA applications it can never happen, if you wana enter this kind of market then you have to take on companies like SUN, IBM and INTEL. I doubt apple would considering pitting machines againt the SPARC and ITANIUM series not to mention the POWER.

You are aware the the G5 (PPC 970) is a POWER 4 derivative, right?

OSX doesnt even compare to an industry used OS such as Solaris/AIX/REDHAT ENTERPRISE AS/HPUNIX, other than the fancy graphics. I think you have a different idea of what dependable and stable is. IMO OSX doesnt have the grunt and punch, it still needs alot of work and it is still a pure 32-bit OS. OSX is good but theres lots of room for improvement, Apple will get here but its gona take time.

Mac OS X definitely has a different focus than those enterprise-focused OSes (witness Mac OS X's industry leading low audio latency: obviously not a high-priority for Solaris, but essential for an OS geared toward content creation). But with its FreeBSD underpinnings, its stable enough. And those "fancy graphics" are part of a OS framework strategy that should pay big dividends in the future, especially for visualization work.

Blark

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by TranceClubMusic
Its amazing how the entire movie "Finding Nemo" was all done on a G5 - thats pretty kool in my book. :cool:

Yeah, but too bad it WASNT. They were only demo-ing Renderman with frames from Finding Nemo last year Siggraph.

Chances are there the first feature that will be done completely on a G5 will be the film following "Cars" (November 2006)

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by army_guy
err iam afraid not, not for EDA applications it can never happen, if you wana enter this kind of market then you have to take on companies like SUN, IBM and INTEL. I doubt apple would considering pitting machines againt the SPARC and ITANIUM series not to mention the POWER. OSX doesnt even compare to an industry used OS such as Solaris/AIX/REDHAT ENTERPRISE AS/HPUNIX, other than the fancy graphics. I think you have a different idea of what dependable and stable is.

IMO OSX doesnt have the grunt and punch, it still needs alot of work and it is still a pure 32-bit OS. OSX is good but theres lots of room for improvement, Apple will get here but its gona take time.

There's no point in going back and repeating Blarks post because he pretty much spells it out for you.

And why is it that you are having a hard time figuring out that the PPC 970 (G5) is a POWER series derivative? Also, why is it hard foryou to figure out that lots of studios are reporting faster rederman benchmarks with the G5 than newer top end Intel chips? As soon as 3ghz G5's debut, they will be the fastest rendering chip available for a competitive cost.

Look, I'm no Mac zealot. I just want something that works. But the stuff you are saying was true 2 years ago, not today.

Blark

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2004
...it still needs alot of work and it is still a pure 32-bit OS

I meant to respond to this as well... It would be ineteresting to hear what you think about OS X still needs work (really, I'd like to know...). I know of one glaring weakness: OpenGL drivers. The same OpenGL hardware on a mac as on a PC will still net you only 2/3 to one half the performance, generally speaking.

And that stuff about Mac OS X being "pure 32-bit": bunk. 10.3 is a hybrid: certainly not "pure 64-bit" but the math libraries have been optimized for native 64 bit integer and floating point routines of the 970, and the kernal can address more than 4 GB of RAM (it can currently address 16 GB, which is the current max capacity of the dual G5 machines, despite the consumer documentation indicating that they can only accomodate 8 GB). Current limitations in the user space engineering mean that individual threads can use no more than 4GB at a time, however.

Blark

army_guy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
United Kingdom
I know the 970 is a power 4 derivative, however when I was using the power 4 it wasnt all that, it wasnt the fastest machine, it wasnt as stable as it should of been. For an IBM machine costing so much I was appauled as I have had better from them and no it wasnt a dodgy machine or a OS issue.

As for Intel I dont think thier going anywhere, the Itanium 2 is a waste of time and money and should be scraped and redesigned from the begining. Here we also have a 64-bit Pentium 4 anytime this year.

As for the 64-bit issue, IMO the OS needs to be pure 64-bit to be called a 64-bit OS. I agree that it maybe OK now but what about when you need 4GB+ for a thread. Wouldnt a 4GB 3d scene using Maya work?

For the 16GB issue, 2GB are out allready whether they work on the G5 is another problem as the high density DIMM have alot of capacitance and maynot actually work stabally. Looking on CRUCIAL's site shows that the 2GB DIMMS ARE NOT on the list. Mind you these are ECC Reg and work fine on my TYAN Opteron Board, the G5 will need unbuffered as I remember.

army_guy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Originally posted by Blark

Yes, you haven't been keeping up. PIXAR, which used to use SUN, currently uses Xeons for their render farm. The UltraSparc is currently topped out at 1.28 Ghz.

Blark

Yes at 1.28GHz, for render farms you would need to consider the fire series, in terms of cost the SUN machines do lose out but they are an investment and allways get the job done and are dependable. In this day and age they are probably overkill and too expensive for things like DCC but dont forget its the SUN fire machines (nvidia and ati use the 12K/15K machines) that simulate the CPUS/CHIPSETS/GPU's that you people use and make all this possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.