Apple Attacks Windows in 2-page Ad

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MontyZ, Jun 15, 2005.

1. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

On MacDailyNews:

Apple Computer attacks Microsoft Windows with two-page Mac OS X Tiger print ad in Time

Apple Computer has debuted a new two page Mac OS X Tiger advertisement in the inside cover in the latest issue of Time Magazine.

The ad features the Mac OS X Tiger "X" on a black background on the left page (click for larger image) and powerful quotes from reviews of Mac OS X Tiger on the right page (click for larger image).

The quotes on the right side read:

[in large, bold print]
    "It leaves Windows XP in the dust."
    - Walter Mossberg, The Wall Street Journal

[in smaller print]
    "It's the most elegant, useful and powerful operating system I've ever used in three decades of computer ownership. It runs circles around Windows."
    - Mike Wendland, Detroit Free Press

"Spotlight isn't just a fast Find command. It's an enhancement that's so deep, convenient and powerful, it threatens to reduce the 20-year-old Mac/Windows system of nested folders to irrelevance."
    - David Pogue, The New York Times

"Want to see what the future of personal computing looks like? Don't wait for Microsoft to show you; go out and get yourself a copy of Apple's latest operating system release, OS X Tiger. It's that good."
    - Michael Gartenberg, Computerworld

"Not only is Spotlight super fast, but it looks through absolutely everything: email messages, contacts, the information attached to digital photos, even a page you scanned in or a map your downloaded from the web."
    - Chris Taylor, Time

"I remember writing an article about Lotus 1-2-3 back when the product was released during the 80s... It may have been nearly two decades since I wrote that column, but it took Spotlight less than 2 seconds to find it."
    - Larry Magid, CBSNews.com

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

odd that they're pushing spotlight so much - it seems to me Tiger has a lot more to offer than that.

D

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

True, but last time I looked (and it has been a while admittedly), Microsoft were giving their version of Spotlight (new filesystem, more human, and instant searches) a lot of focus in their boasts of Longhorn, so it does make sense for Apple to make it plain as day that they already offer this.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah - interesting - you wouldn't have a link to that would you?

As for MS - its tough to sell promises when Apple has it right there in front of you..... :D

D

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

6. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I think I saw part of a demonstartion on winsupersite.com but I didn't have find-as-you-type seach it was instand once you pressed enter/return. Link to video http://www.winsupersite.com/files/winhec2005_desktop_search.wmv

7. MontyZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Focus on Spotlight (get it? focus? spotlight?) makes sense, because it seems that most of the press about Tiger devotes a lot of space to this one feature, as it seems to be the one feature that impresses reviewers most. And the fact that MS is already trying to trumpet their own version of Spotlight waaaay before their software will even be available. Apple just wants to make it plainly clear that OSX is the OS that first introduced this and other innovations.

Besides, by the time MS does release Longhorn, OSX will probably be in it's next major release and Spotlight will be old news by then. MS will have a very hard time keeping up.

8. MontyZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I'd love to see an OSX ad on TV. One with Tiger and Windows XP side-by-side. Demonstrate the power of Spotlight against the anemic Find function in Windows. Show how easily everything can be done with OSX compared to Windows. Simple, to the point.

Then end the commerical with a real Tiger mauling a Windows XP box.

GRRRRRRRR!!!!

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

WinFS - the redesigned Windows filesystem that has the database backend - is not going to be in Longhorn. That was announced several months ago. So Longhorn very well may not have any sort of builtin search capability, since that was being provided by WinFS (at least originally).

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nice to see!

Now we just need to see more of this type as well as TV ads.

Apple needs to get the word out.

MSFT continually beats it's competition through vaporware and promises. Apple is taking them straight on which is nice to see.

Sushi

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good point.

What is really neat, is that Apple is comparing what is to what is promised.

Nice to see.

Anybody can promise features. Executing them is a whole different story.

Sushi

12. BGil macrumors 6502

WinFS isn't a redisigned filesystem but a new user data store. It doesn't store "files" (typically) so the term "filesystem" is incorrect.
    Longhorn's fast search was demoed at WinHec and given out in the 5048 build. It works pretty much like Spotlight does except it's much better at finding stuff over networks and it lacks open/save integration. Open/Save integration is coming with Beta 2 in November.

Microsoft's Spotlight competitor is called Windows Desktop Search and it was released to the public last December.

13. Ajsfiremouse macrumors newbie

Ajsfiremouse

I was thinking something along the lines of when apple set fire to Intel dude on an add a while back. ;)

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ooh, this would make an awesome ad- Make it happen Apple.

15. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

uh huh, uh huh...

i'm seeing your angle... and LOVING IT! :)

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

WinFS is not like FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. It is Windows File Storage, not Filing System.

17. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Boy people are being pedantic here. It's pretty obvious that WinFS (the Windows File Storage System) functionality overlaps much of what FAT, NTFS, etc. provide. This won't satisfy the ersatz pedants, but for everyone else: from http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/default.aspx?pull=/msdnmag/issues/04/01/WinFS/default.aspx

WinFS and Win32

WinFS is an exciting and feature-rich facility, and developers writing new applications for Longhorn should take full advantage of it. Of course, most applications that are moved over to Longhorn will have some legacy Win32 code and so this raises the question of how the two will cooperate.

The first point to make is that WinFS will not supplant NTFS—machines running Longhorn will still have NTFS-based drives. WinFS currently only applies to folders within the Documents and Settings folders. All other folders still reside under the control of NTFS. In particular, %systemroot% and Program Files are NTFS folders, which means that your application executable files will not actually live in the WinFS store.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think network functionality is something Apple should address soon. Along with improved support for things like WebDAV (which is in Panther and Tiger, but which frequently fails to "support" connections for unclear reasons, forcing people to use something like Goliath, in which case the drive is never mounted and Spotlight is highly unlikely to ever touch it, even if it were modified for net drives).

Anyway, Longhorn, when it comes out, is still going to be very interesting. I doubt it will suck quite as much as some people in the Mac crowd expect. OTOH, Apple will hopefully have some tricks up their Leopard-print sleeve. :D

WinFS, whatever it technically is, is a very interesting thing. I hope MS moves forward with something like it, even if not in Longhorn.