Apple Back to School Promo Starts Tomorrow with iTunes Gift Cards: $100 for Macs, $50 for iPad

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 11, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

MacRumors has learned that Apple will be launching its annual Back to School promotion tomorrow in the United States and likely a number of other countries. As in previous years, Apple will be offering iTunes Store gift cards to educational customers purchasing qualifying products.

[​IMG]

The major new addition to the program this year is the iPad, with purchasers receiving a $50 iTunes Store gift card with the purchase of a new iPad. The Mac aspect of the program appears to be the same as in previous years, with qualified purchases earning a $100 gift card. We have not yet confirmed exactly which Mac systems will qualify for the program, but in past years the Mac mini has not been eligible for the promotion.

As with previous years, the cards should be valid across Apple's digital stores, including the iTunes Store, iOS App Store, Mac App Store, and iBookstore.

Article Link: Apple Back to School Promo Starts Tomorrow with iTunes Gift Cards: $100 for Macs, $50 for iPad

2. macrumors member

Called it. Not surprising.

3. macrumors 6502

Just in time for NEW products!! Enjoy Students!!

4. macrumors 6502a

Didn't the back to school promo at one time give you $100 off a Mac, not an iTunes gift card?

5. macrumors 68040

Grimace

$50 store card for an iPad purchase is really generous! Apple is pushing those tablets hard!

6. macrumors 65816

$100...if I'm buying a $4k MBPro...I better get more then a $100 gift card. :)

7. macrumors 65816

Used to be free iPod (up to, IIRC, $250 or something).

8. macrumors member

emwgradstudent

Students can still get a $100 discount. The "extra" used to be an iPod Touch.

9. macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

Used to be buy a Mac and get a free iPod nano, then it was the touch, then $100 on the Mac App Store.

10. macrumors newbie

Does anyone one have some positive experiences selling the iTunes gift cards??

11. macrumors regular

I miss the free ipod with a mac purchase

12. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I may be mistaken, but I believe the $100 discount is in conjunction with the gift card.

13. macrumors 6502a

Another fake B2S promo from Apple.

14. macrumors 6502a

What we expected really, this amounted to a £65 gift card here in the UK.

15. macrumors 68000

Huge yawner, especially for students, but to be expected.

16. Medic311, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

macrumors 68000

Medic311

this BTS2012 promo is a joke (2 years running now) for the consumer, but genius for apple. i applaud them for getting away with it for 2 years in a row and for everyone who will defend apple for doing so (blindly i might add). i can count on that statement being quoted dozens of times by people who are against me: "if you don't like it, then don't buy it".... "apple doesn't care about 1 pissed off customer"...."be happy with that b/c what makes you feel you are entitled to anything with your purchase" . all valid points i will admit, but we are in a forum so my opinion has been stated. oh well.

i understand that the Touch is a more expensive device now so they don't want to give that away, but what about the Nano? heck, apple could have given away a Shuffle which would be perfect for college students. i would take a $49 Shuffle over a $100 iTunes card and i'm an engineering grad student (the shuffle would have been perfect). no Shuffle? fine...but at least give me the option to buy a Shuffle with the $100 card. most of the software that apple wants me to purchase i get free through my university student software program (part of the tech fee they make you pay). almost all college-bound students either in undergrad or grad school receive this perk but many don't care to take advantage of it. if you're in high school, then yes...you usually have to purchase your own software for your home computer

you still get $50-$200 off the purchase of a Mac computer (depending on the model) for being a student. their student purchase policy is really liberal. basically you just need to be able to name a school and you get it

17. macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Not sure about that, but I can tell you that when I got my Mac as a back to school promo in 2009, I got a free 8GB 2nd Gen iPod Touch.

18. macrumors 603

No, you always get $100-200 off with Edu discount.

You used to get a free iPod touch which you could then sell.

19. slu
    macrumors 68000

slu

It used to be Buy a Mac and get a free iPod, which was a much better deal.

20. Guest

meh. I'll take it though

21. macrumors 65816

So does that mean i have to wait till tomorrow to purchase? Was hoping it would launch in line with the mac release. They better not have shipping delays if i wait till tomrorow

22. macrumors 68020

applesith

Good! That justifies a purchase of the rumored $4k pimped out MBP!

23. macrumors 65816

I doubt they will ship anything today anyway.

24. macrumors 68030

cmChimera

Why not today?

25. macrumors 6502a

olowott

As a student :D you get a certain discount off ur mac, which is standard and now you get the gift card too:D

Doesnt work for the ipad though that is the student discount, tried it for both iphone and ipad :rolleyes: