Apple Backpedals, Puts "All Eligible Products" Back on EPEAT Environmental Registry

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 13, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last week, Apple notified the Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) that it was withdrawing its products from the EPEAT registry, and would no longer be submitting its products for evaluation. EPEAT measures the environmental impact of electronics and is used by many corporations and governmental organizations as a yardstick on enterprise purchases.

In one well-publicized instance, the city of San Francisco said it would no longer purchase Macs without EPEAT certification.

[​IMG]

In an unusual about-face, Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering Bob Mansfield wrote an open letter reversing the decision to remove Apple products from the EPEAT registry.
    We've received word that Bob Mansfield is sending a copy of the letter, from his @Apple.com email address, to customers who had expressed concern over the EPEAT withdrawal.

A full list of Apple's EPEAT-rated products is available, and includes the latest releases of the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

EPEAT CEO Robert Frisbee also wrote a letter confirming Apple and EPEAT's commitment to working together and hinting at future changes to the EPEAT judging process to work with Apple as it continues its cutting edge computer designs.
    Slate's Farhad Manjoo called the entire EPEAT situation a "really strange unforced error."

Article Link: Apple Backpedals, Puts "All Eligible Products" Back on EPEAT Environmental Registry

2. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

Companies make mistakes...

3. macrumors regular

Perhaps EPEAT agreed to possibly review their requirements.

4. macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I think Macrumors.com deserves a lot of credit here. You guys acted like true journalists and brought this issue to the public's attention and the world is a better place because of it. Thanks! :)

5. macrumors member

Apple realized they still had to pay the protection Money to EPEAT.

6. macrumors 68030

That ought to stop the riots in the San Francisco government agencies.

Party on dudes!

7. macrumors 65816

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    It sounds like EPEAT needs to evolve, and Apple just kicked their ass to do so. Hopefully Apple never compromises on design to fit some external, outdated environmental standard. Perhaps soon EPEAT will change, and Apple will be the only ones complying with it, having written the standards themselves.

8. macrumors 6502

Is San Fran going to load up on Apple gear now?

or will they keep buying cheap Dell gear?

9. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Didn't that bob guy retire a few weeks ago?

10. macrumors 6502a

Mad-B-One

At least they have the guts the do that when they realize they underestimated the consequences. :cool:

11. macrumors 6502a

foodog

I thought it was a strange decision to remove everything from the list

12. macrumors 68020

Diode

I'm thinking that was probably the case.

13. macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

You know what Bob? MAJOR CREDIBILITY GAIN HERE!

I'm actually pretty well versed on EPEAT standards and, while it is true they need to be updated (they are about 18 months behind the industry curve right now), I was very disappointed to hear that Apple just yanked support rather than try to use their weight to change the standards to something that made more sense not just for Apple but for the rest of the industry.

Big thumbs up in my book here...everybody wins!

14. macrumors 6502

They need to review

15. macrumors member

I cannot stand waffling.
    "Oh we made a decision. Oh, people are getting angry, let's change our decision."
    Screw that. For better or for worse, make a choice and stick to it.
    Finally, I hope Apple never lets these EPEAT standards dictate what they can or cannot do as far as product design.

16. macrumors regular

I would have had more respect for AAPL if they had held their ground...very strange move

17. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

Adding a year to the planned obsolescence period would help too! ;-)

18. macrumors 6502

It includes the rMBP now? :confused:

19. macrumors 6502a

Wash, rinse, EPEAT.

20. macrumors regular

Eating humble pie .....

All phones have problems ........ antenna gate ..... Probably better that Steve is not around, now they can eat humble pie and move on.

21. D 5
    macrumors member

Apple pulls away and EPEAT realizes it better update their judging proccess;)

22. macrumors P6

Peace

What really did it was the federal government GAO announcing they were not going to purchase any Macs.

23. macrumors 68040

Kudos to Bob for taking one for the team. Enjoy your retirement, Bob, you deserve it!

24. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Like a local business paying the mafia for protection....

25. macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Typical Apple..

a) Do something unilateral and drastic
    b) Sit silent for a few days while watching backlash from upset customers and media
    c) Offer half-hazard "I am not pissing on your head, it's just raining" explanation
    d) Reverse (a)