Apple Bans Two Hazardous Chemicals From Final iPhone Assembly Process

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple announced today that it is banning the use of benzene and n-hexande, two potentially hazardous chemicals, during final assembly for both iPhone and iPad, according to the Associated Press. Benzene is a carcinogen that has been linked to leukemia when not handled properly and n-hexane has been linked to nerve damage.

[​IMG]
    The Cupertino company conducted a four-month investigation at 22 factories and found no evidence that either benzene or n-hexane endangered the 500,000 workers at those factories. Four of the factories had traces of the two chemicals at "acceptable safety levels" while the other 18 contained no trace of either.

Still, Apple decided to order its suppliers to stop using the two chemicals for final assembly for iPhones, iPads, Macs, iPods and accessories. The factories will also be required to test all substances to make sure the chemicals aren't present, even if they're not listed in the ingredients. The two chemicals are often found in cleaner used on machinery and electronics.

However, Apple will still allow benzene and n-hexane at plants responsible for the early production phase of its devices, which are, for the most part, different from the final assembly plants. Apple is lowering the maximum amount of the two chemicals that can be used during early processes.

Lisa Jackson, Apple's VP of environmental initiatives, told the AP that the company wanted to be "responsive to concerns" and "crack down on chemical exposures".
    The two chemicals aren't exclusively used by Apple's manufacturing processes, as other large tech companies have faced the same criticisms. Small traces of benzene can also be found in gasoline, cigarettes, paints, glues and more.

Article Link: Apple Bans Two Hazardous Chemicals From Final iPhone Assembly Process

2. macrumors regular

Less Hazardous Chemicals = Happy Customers.
    Good job Apple.

3. macrumors 6502a

Kaibelf

Good on Apple, but I'm sure that won't stop people from complaining about why they didn't do this years ago. Some might even complain that they didn't do this before Apple existed at all just to have an excuse to bash them about it. :rolleyes:

4. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

That's great news, good job Apple!

5. macrumors 6502a

PocketSand11

Bah, looks like my iPhone 5 is worth a little less now.

6. macrumors 6502

28monkeys

So what's the alternative chemical used for end process now?

7. macrumors G3

mayonnaise.

8. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

Love.

9. macrumors 6502a

NY Guitarist

Commendable step.

10. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

I had the exact same reaction when they told me my house was full of Asbestos. Bastards. Thanks to their 'health and safety' regulations, now I can't turn a profit.

11. macrumors 6502

These are used for cleaning and de-greasing parts. Your iPhone is is worth just as much. :)

12. macrumors 6502a

PowerBook-G5

More like Less Hazardous Chemicals = Happy Customers for longer

13. macrumors 6502

Less Hazardous Chemicals = Healthier Employees

It's about time, Apple.

14. macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

[​IMG]

15. macrumors regular

Wonderful. No one wants to get sick.

16. macrumors regular

chinese factories will still use whatever does the best job or is cheapest, but now Apple is on record telling them not to

17. macrumors 6502a

Kaibelf

26 minutes it took. Not bad! :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 604

Piggie

You know what, that's probably not far from the truth sadly.

Even places I have worked, thing have been changed, hidden, moved around or altered just for a inspection.

I'm sure many here, in some way, have known this thing to happen, even if it's something as seemingly minor as propping a fire door open on a very hot day to let cool air in, when the door should be shut at all times.
    Or a cabinet that's unlocked all the time, should officially be locked and is locked whilst an inspector comes around.

19. macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Great news.
    Better environment for the employees, hopefully the chemicals were replaced with love.

20. macrumors regular

Here's the new chemical:

21. macrumors 603

Well, this is a first for Apple.

However, why are they smiling ? This is a serious risk...

On the up-shot, no one would know if MR wasn't around.. then there would be a massive re-call when people DID get sick.

Nothing to see here people... move along.

22. macrumors regular

henzpwnapple

I am imagining how Samsung reacts to this on its new awful ads. :rolleyes:

23. macrumors 6502

I was going to post that someone would inevitably ignore the the main beneficiaries of this ban (the employees), and instead selfishly post about first-world customers. Since it occurred in the very first post, I didn't have time.

24. macrumors 6502

Tim: no more banana yellow, OK?

25. macrumors regular

Two chemicals in any college-level chem lab. Oh, the horror!

Ps it's probably n-hexane, not n-hexande