Apple Beefing Up iAd Team Ahead of iTunes Radio Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 4, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has been working to expand its iAd team over the past month, posting job listings for dozens of positions just as the company prepares to launch its iTunes Radio streaming music service, notes Ad Age. Apple's iAd team is handling advertising for the new service and has reportedly already signed up a number of high-profile brands to advertise on the service from its launch.
    [​IMG]
    The report specifically highlights a creative design manager position intended to bridge account management and user experience functions, and while it says that the mid-August job posting was taken down last week, it appears to have been reposted by Apple last Friday.
    According to previous reports, iTunes Radio listeners will be served an audio ad roughly every 15 minutes, with a video ad coming once per hour at times when the user is likely to be looking at his or her device. Subscribers to Apple's $25/year iTunes Match service will be able to listen to iTunes Radio without ads. iTunes Radio will be available only in the United States at its launch alongside iOS 7 later this month, with expansion to other countries coming over time.

Article Link: Apple Beefing Up iAd Team Ahead of iTunes Radio Launch

2. macrumors 6502

Is it not a bit rushed/late to be hiring right before the release? I would think you would have wanted to do this 2-3 months ago.

3. macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

Looks like i'll finally check into getting itunes match to avoid all that stuff.

4. macrumors 601

Plutonius

I can see a large majority of the people using iTunes radio getting iTunes match to avoid the ads.

5. macrumors member

yeah... spotify will do fine thanks

6. macrumors 6502a

SmileyBlast!

Talk about coming full circle.

:apple: is the new big media advertiser?

People like internet radio because it is free and has few (skippable) ads. They better do a good job of creating these ads or people will not use iRadio. It does not sound like they are going to be just Audio ads but may have video (visuals) as well.

I guess we are going to hear about the iPaper digital news and magazine product next with Digital Print ads in it.

7. macrumors 6502

Why? Spotify's biggest client base comes from the free version which has, you guessed it, ads.

8. macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Advertisers annoy me. I pay for things, not listen to random ads.
    But, normal ads are OK, because not everyone will pay for music.
    Targeted ads are never OK and should be eliminated.
    I hope that "iAd" isn't another targeted ad scheme.

9. macrumors 65816

VanillaCracker

iAd team? Really? :D:apple:

10. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Depressing. Can we assume iAds are especially necessary to pay the recording labels to get the iRadio deal done?

11. macrumors newbie

I expect it to be relatively few, and I'm thinking Apple does as well. People who are interested in a service like Match (or Google Play Music, etc.) are probably already using one. Although $25 to get rid of ads for a year may indeed be a good deal for anyone who is using iTunes Radio regularly, the "large" upfront payment will be a barrier to entry, much more so than if it were $2-3 monthly.

12. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Apparently they are necessary to provide music to people without payment. People paying $25 a year for iTunes match get no adverts.

13. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

I like the iTunes Match idea for $25 per year. It reduces the need to deal with the combined efforts of the iAd team with my $25 donation.

14. macrumors member

When the user is looking at their device?

I dont get it? Does that mean we lok at our device once per hour at the exact time the vidoe ad comes in or have they figured out some algorithm as to when we lookat our device in this per hour cap? I am interested in this.

15. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Yes, that's what I mean. The recording companies must charge Apple a certain amount to stream the music. iAds must cover the people who do not pay for iTunes Match.

16. macrumors 6502a

Creative design manager? NOOO...
    Can't they just pick a random genius guy from their marketing team who designed the marvellous iOS 7 icons?

17. macrumors 6502a

Nice addition would be that if you, let's say, buy 10 tracks in the iTunes Store of songs you've discovered via iRadio, you get one month of ad-free. Or something like this, you get the idea. Would serve the purpose for both parties.

18. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Don't bother. With iTunes Match many of us will never hear them.

19. macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

True, we might not but I don't think the general public have warmed to iTunes Match yet. I might be wrong, I'd love to see some sales figures though.

Match is brilliant but it's incredibly difficult to explain the benefits to some people without them falling asleep.

20. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

Don't forget the cheaper backup of you iTunes library! Much cheaper than Crashplan or mozy!

21. macrumors 6502

They would, but he can't do it. While presenting to Cook, Cook stopped rocking in his chair entirely and the presenter fell down grabbing his throat. Something about "You have failed me for the last time" or something....

22. macrumors 65816

arent the users the product though then?

23. macrumors newbie

Accelerometer senses movement after a long period of inactivity

24. macrumors 65816

VanillaCracker

Hahah, I'm glad other people read that article also. Too funny

25. macrumors 6502

markcres

Apple .... please stop investing so much effort in squeezing every last penny out of your customers - especially during a recession. When is the next Jony Ive going to come along? Invest in new blood and new creative staff - not for crap like iAd...but innovation in new exciting products and technology. All you do is bump up specs of existing products and hire people for court battles and advertising...Steve would not be happy with the direction you are going.