Apple Begins Inviting AppleSeed Members to Test iCloud for Windows Beta

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 2, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today began sending out invitations to AppleSeed members, inviting them to test the iCloud for Windows beta, which includes access to iCloud Drive. An iOS 8/Yosemite feature, iCloud Drive allows users to store any document in iCloud.

Content stored in iCloud Drive can be accessed from any iOS device, Mac, or PC, via the new iCloud for Windows beta. AppleSeed testers receiving invites to the iCloud for Windows beta must be running Windows 7 or later, and Apple does not recommend installing the pre-release software on "personal-critical and/or business-critical systems."

[​IMG]
    Ahead of offering an iCloud for Windows beta to AppleSeed members, Apple released a beta version of the software to developers. The latest version of that beta, launched on July 21, noted that iCloud Drive functionality was only available on on OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, so it appears that Windows users may be getting their first functional look at iCloud Drive with the launch of the AppleSeed beta.

iCloud Drive is expected to be officially available with the launch of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. While iOS 8 will likely be released to the public in September following Apple's iPhone event, OS X Yosemite may not be available until later in the year, possibly October.

Thanks, Larry!

Article Link: Apple Begins Inviting AppleSeed Members to Test iCloud for Windows Beta

2. macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

interesting cause I'm logged into my developer account right now and I'm not seeing it.

3. macrumors 6502a

Glassed Silver

Apple Seed is a consumer preview program by Apple.
    This is separate from your developer account.

Glassed Silver:mac

4. macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

5. macrumors regular

6. macrumors 6502

iTom17

Nothing in my inbox as well.

Would love to check out the new iCloud for Windows. Really excited about the new features coming, like iCloud Drive for example. Looks like I'll have to wait until the official release. Might be quite soon? :)

7. macrumors 65816

taptic

Windows... I guess XP no longer counts? :p or does Apple support it longer than Microsoft?

8. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

That's good for the Windows users which I never will be one but I'm happy to see it go to other platforms.

9. macrumors newbie

Can confirm this is valid.

Will be testing it shortly.

10. macrumors 6502

iTom17

Could you please post some screenshots of how it looks like? :p

11. LarryBaker, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

macrumors newbie

Looks like it might be broken.. When I sign into my AppleSeed account, I see that I have an invite, but get a message of "No information currently available" after I accept the invite..

----------

Yep, when its working :)

12. macrumors 6502a

Nice to see it is confirmed, I posted about it a little bit ago to check.

Seeing the same

13. macrumors newbie

I guess when it is working, I'll need to read the agreement to see if we are allowed to post screen shots before doing so.. ;)

14. macrumors newbie

The message changed saying "I will receive instructions soon"..

First time I've gotten in on the ground floor of something cool (cool at least to me), so once I have downloaded and get it running I'll post what I can! (within the guidelines of the agreement I had to agree to).. :)

15. macrumors 6502a

PocketSand11

Windows 7 came out around the same time as Snow Leopard, and Apple doesn't even give a hoot about Mountain Lion. What the heck, Apple? And no, I don't use Windows and never will.

16. macrumors regular

what is the link to check the invites received?

I've been an appleseed member for a couple months now, but don't see anything related to invites/inbox/icloud

17. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

Apple has to support multiple Windows versions because Windows users typically don't upgrade. They can try to force OS X users to upgrade, though.

18. macrumors 6502a

PocketSand11

I know, and the last part is what annoys me. I don't want to upgrade for some of the same reasons why Windows users don't upgrade.

19. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

I've paid for 1 upgrade in the past 3 versions. What version are you on?

20. macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

yes well aware of this but their statement of: "Ahead of offering an iCloud for Windows beta to AppleSeed members, Apple released a beta version of the software to developers."

sure makes it seem like they had a developer version before a AppleSeed version.

21. macrumors 6502a

PocketSand11

Mountain Lion. It's not an issue with paying for OS upgrades. Old hardware only feels old when you install a new OS on it. Windows users are in a better position in that way since Microsoft makes money off of software only, unlike Apple, which tries to make us buy new hardware all the time. Anyway, I also simply don't want to have to deal with it. My current OS works great with my software and my workflow, so I'd rather not change things around unless the new OS has some features that would actually help a lot… which hasn't been the case since the Mountain Lion upgrade.

22. macrumors 6502a

Glassed Silver

Oops, not my best reading performance today.

Glassed Silver:mac

23. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

Mavericks works better than Mountain Lion, though. My MBA from 2012 is working better than it ever did before. I'm even using the beta of Yosemite. But Mavericks was definitely a step up from ML, which was a step up from Lion. Better battery life, better performance, when comparing Mavericks to ML.

24. slu
    macrumors 68000

slu

Finally getting feature parity with the old iDrive. Nice.

25. macrumors 6502a

Still wishing Apple would release an iMessage/Messages client for Windows (or just make it a web app accessible via iCloud.com).

I've got to use a few Windows machines for various reasons and really sucks not to be able to converse like I can when on Mac OS. Especially with the new SMS relay features in iOS 8/Yosemite.