Apple being difficult...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JoeKarame, Dec 13, 2006.

1. JoeKarame macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    A month back my MBP died on me. Luckily, it was still well into it's warrenty and I took it back to the reseller to fix it...

A month later, the thing's still not fixed, the guys at Cancom (who Apple allow to repair their machines) are telling Apple it's completely screwed (3 logic boards later and a complete cange of the main innards tells me the same really), but Apple are refusing to action an exchange, and now the machine has to go somewhere else for other people to look at it, and probably come to the same conclusion.

I've spoken with the Apple customer service who are no help whatsoever, and the resellers are stuck in a silly position as well.

I love Apple machines, I really do, but I've had to buy a new laptop to tide me over whilst all this is happening, no-one can tell me when I'll get my MBP back, and I'm thoroughly disappointed that a company can mess me around really.

After the event, I do plan to write a seriously hacked off letter to Apple. Anyone do the same and get compensation??? Because I'm damn well wanting something from them.
  2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I feel your pain. My Powerbook's been in to Apple for repair five times now, and I dropped it off for the sixth time last night. Your only hope is to keep calling, and keep bugging them about it. Stay calm, stay collected, and be polite.
  3. JoeKarame thread starter macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    What it has done is stop me from ever buying a 'new' Apple product again though. I know that these things happen, and it's just my plain bad luck, but I've had 6 Apple machines, the previous five were all ones which had been on the market (tried and tested hardware) for a while! After all of it's done, I may well sell it on and go back to a Powerbook myself - although your problems don't fill me with my joy either! Good luck getting yours sorted!
  4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Well, this hasn't made me want to stop buying Apple products (I have an Intel Mac Mini that's been just great), but it has made me not want to use AppleCare past the free service period. Their service really leaves a lot to be desired. That's not to say that other manufacturers have it right, by any means, but the service is just terrible.

Good luck to you, too! Here's hoping they give you a new machine!
  5. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2002
    A friend of mine went through a lot of crap with the Regent St Apple Store trying to get his 12" powerbook fixed. In the end they gave him a new model, and also a one-use 20% discount card.
  6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    they key here is E S C A L A T I O N !

Call Apple, be polite BUT firm, and demand to speak to a supervisor, when you get the first one, demand to speak to the next higher one, and continue this until you get what you want (ultimately a new machine)

You could also send steve an email (, explaining your problem and frustration in clear, consise manner. Keep it short & to the point, but make it clear that you are extremely disappointed at what has transpired so far, and would like his assistance in remedying the situation :)
  7. mikeh123 macrumors member

Jan 21, 2003
    It is Apples' policy with uk resellers that replacements are NOT given.

Repairs will be tried and eventually you may well get a new machine if it cant be fixed.

The reseller will get grief for not getting it done but hey thats the way it is.

Keep on at them and you may well get a replacement.
  8. davidjearly macrumors 68020

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I believe the apparent email address for Mr Jobs, is

See here:
  9. mattthemutt macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    I thought we weren't supposed to post Steve's e-mail.
  10. thebill macrumors member

Feb 20, 2006
    The Home of H.A.L., Urbana
    Positive AppleCare experiences

Nothing but positive here.....they've replaced an iMac hard drive, an iMac power unit, a Powerbook keyboard & trackpad.... all repairs ("cept power unit) done much quicker than estimated. They even replaced the worn little rubber "feeties" on the Powerbook W/O asking!

On the phone I get thru quick & get good answers.
  11. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2005
    Whoever you talk to, be polite. It goes much further than rudeness. :D
  12. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
  13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    From reading forum posts, seems like AppleCare outside of the US isn't nearly the same beast as in the US.
  14. JoeKarame thread starter macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    The thing is I'm not unhappy with what the blokes at Cancom (the UK reseller) are trying to do. The guy who fixes things seems genuinely frustrated at getting no joy from Apple at all. The fact that it's now being sent to Apple themselves fills me with nothing but dread as we creep nearer and nearer to Xmas. Quite honestly, I'll be amazed if I get anything back this side of 2007!

Quite honestly, the last thing I really want is a replacement machine - all my software etc is on the thing, and despite having backups of most of my work on an external harddrive, the fact that the fault the machine suffered was so sudden meant that a lot of things I'm probably going to lose...

But now the longer it takes, the more angry the letter I write, and the more compensation I'm going to get out of Apple...and when I see pig's fly then I know something's gone right.

Still, life's not so bad...I've got a substitute laptop which does the basics, and I've just received in the post a Mac Mini from a win on eBay - a great little Xmas present for my folks. Luckily, it's a G4 one, so I'm hoping everything will be fine with it!
  15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    It's not Steve's was a sample put together by the folks at Apple.