Apple Being Pushy About Extended Warranties

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by clayj, Jan 2, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

OK, so a couple of weeks ago I got a notice from Apple that the warranty on my Mac mini is soon to expire, and that I could purchase an extended warranty for $220 or so (if I remember correctly). I don't usually buy extended warranties except on very expensive gear (like my plasma TV), so I threw the notice out.

Just now, I got a call from Apple... the telephone number was (916) 399-7992. The girl started asking me about my Mac mini and I anticipated that she was going to try to sell me an extended warranty, so I said "Hey, I already got a notice from Apple about extending the warranty, but I don't need to since my Mac mini is working great and I might be buying an Intel-based Mac mini if they announce them at MacWorld."

Silence.

I look at the phone, and she has HUNG UP on me. No "thanks for using Apple", no "let us know if you change your mind", not even a "good-bye".

Negative kudos for Apple on this one. It's bad enough that they're über-pushy about AppleCare, but now they're being rude on the phone when you decline to pay a huge premium for an extended warranty.

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

She's probably really p*ssed off with people saying they want an Intel Mac!

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

It *could* have just been accidental or a technical issue...unlikely, but possible.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Clay,

I got the same notice. What's interesting is that AppleCare for the Mac mini only cost $149.00 retail ($99 edu) from the Apple Store.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I got the same email about Applecare for my mini, and another email about Applecare for my iPod nano (bought in October). I just ditched the emails but haven't received any phone calls (yet).

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

You have a lot of faith in Apple. It is like the girl on the other end is being paid $200 to make each phone call. Fact is she is a another bottom the the barrel wager and has a quota to meet each day, as with every other corporation!

7. mac-er macrumors 65816

Most likely, she has no clue what you are talking about or what a Mac even is....she walks in, says what she is told to say, and probably gets a nickel for every person that signs up for an extended warranty.

8. Jonst macrumors newbie

I finally bought the extended warranty for my Mac I know this is an old thread but it is the only one I saw about this issue to bad I haven't seen it before I bought it. I only paid 60$ for 2 years, I haven't used it yet but my Mac is already 2 years old so I am sure it will have some problems...

Here is where I bought it... Extended Warranties

Let me know what you think

9. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

She wasn't being rude. Her head exploded and the bone shrapnel severed the telephone cord.

There is a technical document on Apple's support website documenting this issue.