Apple being sued over use of Unix name

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wilburpan, Jun 12, 2003.

1. wilburpan macrumors regular

In this article from Business Week there are details on a lawsuit brought against Apple by The Open Group, who claims ownership over of the Unix name, because Apple has been using the term Unix in conjunction with OS X without a license. Apparently, they are most worked up over this page on the Apple website which explains the underpinnings of OS X.

I'm providing this as a public service just in case you were looking for an example of something more stupid than the last boneheaded thing that you saw.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yawn, nothing new in this December 2001 news and it's already been posted.

Check out http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/06/12/HNappleunixsuit_1.html

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

uh, am i on glue or isn't UNIX open source? doesn't something like this pretty much go against everything that Open Group is supposed to stand for? they should be kissing Apple's ass for taking the OS to such great places and taking it to the public mass. i guess everyone gets greedy at some point. :rolleyes:

4. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Linux is open source. BSD is open source too. Different license, but same basic idea.

UNIX is not. UNIX was originally a AT&T product, but the name and rights have been sold a few times. Currently SCO owns the rights to UNIX.

Linux and BSD are not UNIX, but UNIX-like.

5. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

thanks for correcting me. i thought ALL the "NIX" operating systems were open. good to know. still, it sucks and Apple are responsible for spreading UNIX further than it's ever been and they should be psyched. maybe they are entitled to compensation but it shouldn't get ugly.

6. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    They all used to be open, actually. AT&T UNIX's source code was widely available for Universities to improve upon (cough, hence BSD!). But when UNIX got popular in the microcomputer world, AT&T decided to close it up and make it proprietary then licensed it to other vendors, including Microsoft (XENIX) which was later sold to SCO.

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

from what i have heard, getting those old UNIX operating systems is/was extremely expensive, too.

8. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

It was my understanding from way back when OSX was vapor that Apple owned a slice of UNIX anyway. Am I wrong?