Apple + Best Buy Update: Just A Pilot?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

An in-depth report by AppleInsider is shedding more light onto the recent appearance of Apple's full line of Macs at select southern California Best Buy stores. Contrary to the initial report by ZDNet which was based off of statements by analyst Samir Bhavnani, the current program is only a seven-store pilot.

Best Buy is North America's #1 consumer electronics retailer and sells home and car audio products, CD/DVDs, and home appliances (washers/dryers/microwaves/etc) in addition to computer-related products.

2. macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I knew it wouldn't all start at once. 7 stores sounds right. In a few months, it may go nation wide, or they may drop it. Let's wait and see.

3. macrumors 68000

Shadow

It'd be a great way to increase Apple's market share-not many people (including me) have "easy" (ie not having to travel several hours) to get to an Apple store :(

4. macrumors 65816

runninmac

Im glad because Im not to sure how smart BB's team is around the nation. Around here they tried selling me an iPod calling the click wheel the "fly wheel." Im sorry but you should call the main features of the product by the right name.

And like the sale's clerk new more that me *rolls eyes*

5. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

As long as the Best Buy employees actually take five minutes to learn the main features of the machine before trying to sell me one... i'll be happy.

6. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Is that even realistic considering the sheer volume of SKU's BB sells? My guess is BB is for people already familiar with a product via TV, word-of-mouth, or online research, and a direct sale approach with qualified sales reps is limited to Apple Stores and (remember them?) the faithful long-term Apple authorized retailers.

Rocketman

Free advise. Buy from someone willing to give service AFTER the sale.

7. macrumors 65816

Seasought

At least you'll be able to buy a Mac at one of these seven stores, unlike another big computer company I know... :D

8. macrumors G5

yg17

I'm not so sure it's a good idea unless there will be full time Apple reps at the store.

BB employees aren't the brightest crayons in the box, I can just imagine a potental switcher who knows nothing about Macs walking into the store:

Customer: "So, I can check my email, chat with friends, and surf the web with this thing, right?"
    BB Employee: "Uhhhhhhh......I'm not sure if Macs can do any of that. I think you need Windows for that sort of thing."
    Customer: "OK, I'll take this HP then"

----------

Customer: "So, if I buy this digital camera, and this Mac, they'll work, right?"
    BB Employee: "Uh......the box for the camera says Windows is required, so I guess it won't work."
    Customer: "You don't know if it will work with that iPhoto thing I've read about?"
    BB Employee: "Ummm....guess not. The box says Windows"

---------

Customer: "What's the difference between this Mac and that eMachines computer?"
    BB Employee: "The eMachines has 2 buttons on its mouse, and with computers, more is better so you want that one"

You get the idea. I just don't see it being good for Apple's sales.

9. macrumors 68020

bobber205

Personal and typical mac consumer opinion:
    I would look and see a mac in a best buy, but I would never buy one in a best buy.

10. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

So what is BestBuy? Is it like Tesco/Walmart in England?

11. Editor emeritus

longofest

Mac people wouldn't, but how about potential windows switchers? They probably aren't even going to the Apple Stores, so this gives more options other than CompUSA or other smaller resellers.

12. macrumors G5

yg17

Its an electronics store in the US. Or also, a tool of the devil.

13. Editor emeritus

longofest

Haha... good question. We forget that BestBuy isn't EVERYWHERE. Best Buy sells a ton of things, and is kind of like a "superstore". It sells home and car audio products, CD/DVD's, Home Appliances (washers/dryers/microwaves/etc), and of course has its venerable Electronics section which includes cameras/camcorders, software/games, and PC's.

14. macrumors 65816

ejb190

Here we go again... I have never been impressed by the staff at Best Drive on By. Almost every time I have bought something, I have had to haggle with a manager over getting the advertised sale price or the prices on the shelves being wrong. And the knowledge base of the staff? I usually have to leave the computer section when I hear some punk trying to sell an older couple a computer far beyond what they need. Last Christmas I ended up helping a couple trying to buy their first SLR and teaching the employee at the same time.

Apple works hard to be an upscale brand. Biased staff and un-maintained demo units lead to poor sales and another failed attempt to put Apple Computers in Bust Buy stores.

15. macrumors 65816

runninmac

I guess for the people explaining what bestbuy is it would be important to point out it is the largest electronics retailer in the US

16. macrumors 603

Rocketman

I have a simple and obvious solution. Usually a good idea.

Just say a Mac IS a PC, with a free software bundle.

:)

Rocketman

17. macrumors 6502a

Object-X

Nice display

Got one near my house and it certainly seems to be a hit. Standing room only and the presentation is quite nice; much better than most CompUSA stores I've seen. Apple has generated quite a lot of buzz so it's good for them to expand their presence beyond their own stores. Especially now, since Vista is obviously going to suck and interest in Apple will rise substantially in the next two years.

18. macrumors 65816

lord patton

That's a definite possibility. Most peoples complaints center around the fact that the employees don't know anything, the product is poorly displayed, and the computers aren't well maintained.

That certainly has been my impression. However, if they are doing a slow roll out, perhaps they're trying to get it right. Having a large display will help, and Apple should make sure the computers have lots of software installed, a locked desktop (?) and good demo materials.

Then it could be a big win. Interesting, as well, that Best Buy wants to make sure the inventory pipe flows well.

19. macrumors regular

Yes, but only for electronics.

See website:

http://www.bestbuy.com/

20. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but the Best Buy here has been selling Apple computers for quite a while now - nothing new at all. This news items implies to me that the USA Best Buy's don't sell Apple computers, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Weird... :confused:

21. macrumors regular

This works out awesome for me. We have a Bestbuy here in Calgary but no Apple Store. We do have London Drugs, but currently they only have the 17"MBP

22. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

From my personal Best Buy experiences, this will be akin to McDonalds selling prime rib, only no one there realizes that there's more to a cow than just D grade ground beef.

Let's hope Apple makes them do it right.

23. macrumors 68020

poppe

Apple Insider speaks of the anyalysist (wow... I know... sp?) comparing the 17MBP and the M1202 or what evel the XPS is. Did they say anything about performance differences? not to get off topic..

24. macrumors member

Think Dixons/Currys - same kind of products, same kind of 'knowledgeable' staff.

25. macrumors regular

Best Buy and Mac's come and go just like the weather!!

Pilot program? It absolutely won't last. I can guarantee it will not. For 10 years I have always shopped at the Best Buy in Pasadena (Southern California). Every two or three years that Best Buy puts in a small Mac section and than a few months later the Mac section is completely gone. This has happened several times over the last ten years. I have come to believe that Best Buy management at both the Corporate and local store level in the computer department will ever take the proper accountability to maintain the Mac section and promote Mac sales. Kind of like the Mac section at CompUSA. Same thing. The Mac section is way back in the far dark corner of the store. Why? Because, they do not believe in the Mac, don’t want to give up shelf space for the Mac and don’t want shelf space for miscellaneous Mac software either. The CompUSA in Monrovia still has a huge cardboard sign that promotes Panther 10.3 that is how “out of touch” they are. Panther 10.3!! Tiger has been out for over a year now. CompUSA and Best Buy are so out of touch with Mac stuff and so clueless that they don’t even realize there is a clue.

Pilot Program? What a joke!!! Not gonna happen. Mark my words!!!!

Ben