Apple better smarten up abit!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CuriousG, Jun 14, 2005.

1. CuriousG macrumors newbie

I just cant believe what I am seeing here as far as Apple is concerned. I know I am not the only one as I have read many analyst's opinions mentioning this very same problem.

Who in there right mind would announce something like Steve did last week that essentially decapitates any future sales of Mac computers for the next 2 years without even thinking of also announcing any updates to their current hardware? Their stock is tumbling down and people all over the net are talking about 'holding' out on purchasing till something more is explained on the subject of Intel/Mac. What on earth are they thinking? No iBook update. No Mini update. No updates PERIOD!

Now i know he made the announcement at the developers convention but still it made world news so this doesnt just affect developers it affects EVERYONE who ever thought currently, past or future, of buying a new Macintosh computer. Now you can defend Apple on this dumb decision but I am only expressing my thoughts and that can't be punished particularily because I believe that there are alot more people who feel the same as I do about this.

Talk about dropping the ball and walkin out of the building Steve. :eek:

2. asqy macrumors regular

apple stock?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL&t=5d

3. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

still down a bit from a week ago. i think ill wait till august to see a powerbook revision, i dont start school till the end of august anyway.

i might miss out on that $100 rebate though

4. CuriousG thread starter macrumors newbie

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ao?s=AAPL

Looks like alot of "downgrade" recommendations also but that aside...on a personal/consumer level this was a dumb move. Not necessarily the move to Intel but to announce something of this caliber without offering anything else either in the form of explaination to consumers on what is planned till intel dayz, or in the form of updated hardware. Just dumb...plain dumb. But again...just my opinion on the subject.

5. Hattig macrumors 65816

Any fall in stock is probably due to softer sales of iPods than anything else.

Apple will let this Intel thing sink in, and then announce some pretty decent upgrades soon (which will replace Intel in Macminds for the time being) and into 2006. The Intel switchover is gradual and isn't meant to suddenly provide a massive increase in performance, so there is no reason to wait if you need a new Apple computer.

6. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Witch would hurt Apple worse?

letting developers know two years in advance, to give them time to get up to speed on the new architecture so they are able to keep pumping out incredible software. So you actually have some software to use with you intel mac when they are available. But in doing so you loose a little cash from idiots that just have to have the latest and greatest, at the expense of their own computing experience.

Or should have Apple waited till the new Intel powered Macs are ready to ship to spring the news on the developers. I can see it now 2007 WWDC Steve comes out on stage and says "And one more thing", all of our new Macs are now x86 based so all the work you have been doing is ****. They ship in two weeks, better get crakin'. I am positive all the little software companies that depend on Apple for a living would love to hear the news that they have two weeks to not only familiarize themselves with the new architecture but to also rework all their existing software.

Apple has billions in cash and no debt, they can surly withstand to loose thousand of sales for two years. But if it is one thing Apple can not afford to loose it is their developers. Deep down in you heart you know that the fastest computer in the world is worthless without the best software in the world. This is what Apple is protecting, Macintosh software, NOT macintosh hardware.

What good is a quad-core, 128 bit pentium m+ 5ghz based Powerbook if their is no software to run on it. I sure would love to plop down 3g's for a new Pbook only to find out that the only software for it is the iAps, and that I will have to wait two years for third party developers to come on line to the changes.

Introducing the new Apple Powerbook, the world fastest portable computer Shipping july 2007, software available july 2010.

7. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Hey, I bought my 12" PB 4 days after WWDC knowing full well what SJ announced and I don't see the problem in doing so.

WHY DOES THIS MAKE THE CURRENT LINE SUCK!

It doesn't.

Buy a mac now and it will work just as well then as it does now!

Geesh people.

It's going to take 2 years to totally swap the line out and someone here raise their hand if they want to be the beta testers of this switch by buying and early mactel and messing with the PPC to x86 software conversion mess.

No thanks.

I'll just be content with using my perfectly capable and wonderfully made PB, thank you.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Announcing new hardware at the same time of announcing the switch to Intel would be dumb. Not only would the new hardware get lost in the shuffle it would immediately be seen as "dated." There would be a knee-jerk reaction and no one would be the new machines (no matter how good the specs might be).

Announcing the move to Intel, letting that sink in, and the announcing new hardware is the right call.

Lethal

9. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

yeah, I concur with Lethal.

Most people don't use their computers for more that three years, so buying now is still a good idea, and then you don't have to beta test revision A Intel base Macs. Just my two cents.

10. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

very good points

11. CuriousG thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad to hear your happy. Some are and some aren't. I will wait for the updates considering they are FAR OVERDUE! And to think I am the only one waiting is naive.

As far as developer comments...I am a developer of my own PPC based software and I can understand the heads up that isnt what I was saying at all. What I was however pointing out is the fact that after making an announcement like that whereas it affects developers, future buyers, users and the rest of the computer community you shouldnt just focus on the developers cause those future and present buyers of your hardware are your bread and butter.

And also..if you remember SJ noted how 'easy' the switch to compiling x86 or PPC will the tick of a button so whats to prepare for if 80% of the software will just take 'minor' adjustments to the src then compile x86 just fine. ;)

Anyways off 'my' topic anyhow so to be clear I was referring to the buying population for Mac products which I know you dont think is important but if Apple dare think that they can skim by on iPod sales only for the next 2 years then expect the buying population to come running when they go x86 is a pipe dream of a scenario if I ever saw one.

12. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I think people should get what they need when they need it. Although I'm sitting here content with a 30 month old TiBook, if I needed a new system, I'd go get one. 18 months is a long way away, especially if you are currently stuck using windows.

Any chance of these coming out early or is MWSF 2007 locked?

13. Vster macrumors 6502

I agree. The day after WWDC I went to my local Apple store and picked up my new iMac! It's still going to work.... even after the switch.

14. CuriousG thread starter macrumors newbie

Another thing to point out here is the fact that if you were a non educated Mac user/owner and just were tired of the Winbloze scene and you went out and bought a new Mac iBook today or Mini and then right after you paid for this obviously higher priced computer than x86 comparibles (aside from OSX) you wake up two days later to see that the line has been upgraded and your brand new computer is now not so new. Plus add in the fact that the iBook line in particular is probably the only laptop in existance today with a 32mb videocard yet premium prices are paid cause its APPLE for crying out loud.

Apple NEEDS to stand out from the crowd always. That is what they are known for. But in order to remain cutting edge they must keep on top of their lines and not let them get too dated like the iBook line obviously is.

Here is some interesting opinions also.

http://www.macobserver.com/columns/devilsadvocate/2005/20050610.shtml

15. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Jobs started and runs the absolute best computer hardware/software company. He also runs Pixar, the best and most inovatave company that do what they do. He runs them both with a heavy hand and MAJOR involvment on his behaf.

To think that he has "dropped the ball" is foolish. He may be an overbearing *******, but it is very clear that he knows exactly in witch direction he is takeing Apple. Steve Jobs knows precisily what he is doing years before you are able to call him foolish.

OMG, OMG, the sky is falling, the sky is falling, Apple is doomed, Jobs droped the ball, Apple is doomed OMG.

Jeeze, if I had a dollar for everytime Ive heard the same, Apple is doomed/ Jobs screwed up/Apple stock is falling/Wallstreet is worried/Don't buy a Mac cuz new ones are comming, crap in the last twenty years, I would have more money than Steve.

Chill out, The end is not nigh, you will wake up tomorow and Apple will still be there, still kicking ass, and their will be another doom and gloom report to read.

16. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Who said the buying population for mac products is not important? :confused:

17. CuriousG thread starter macrumors newbie

Misunderstood me I see? :rolleyes: I agree...I LOVE APPLE. I would use nothing else I have DP G5, PB and 3 iPods and I couldnt agree with you more on how great Apple is. I am just disappointed with the way things are unfolding for the hardware side of things and question whether or not it might not have been a better idea to announce this once they had x86 in the 'pipeline' not more discontinued PPC product. I agree with a few points in that article I posted particularily about developers not developing any more game products or anything new whatsoever for the PPC line if its being phazed out soon anyhow.

18. CuriousG thread starter macrumors newbie

Who? Well RandomDeadHead has this to say among other comments:

"But in doing so you loose a little cash from idiots that just have to have the latest and greatest, at the expense of their own computing experience."

"Apple has billions in cash and no debt, they can surly withstand to loose thousand of sales for two years. But if it is one thing Apple can not afford to loose it is their developers. Deep down in you heart you know that the fastest computer in the world is worthless without the best software in the world. This is what Apple is protecting, Macintosh software, NOT macintosh hardware."

19. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Again, what good is a computer in the "pipeline" if their is no software in the "pipeline".

20. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Apple sales will not grind to a hault like people make out. I will still buy the 10 to 15 new macs that I normaly would for my buessnes. Schools will not hold out. Print houses that upgrade on a scedual will not wait. Alot of MR members will not hold out. And a good precentage of the user base doesnt follow all things Apple so they will not ever hear of the change till the new Macs are on Apples website. All the Apple rumor mongers in the world combined make up a very small percent of the user base.

Like I said the world still turns, people will still buy Macs.

21. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

He didn't say it wasn't important, he stated an obvious fact. There are going to be a few people who would rather wait than buy now. How is Steve going to change their opinion by anouncing a ibook, mac mini update? Please.
    :rolleyes:

22. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

So what this all boils down to is the fact that your mad Apple didn't upgrade the ibook at WWDC?

23. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

how often is the powerbook line updated? what rev are they on now, D? if there is big speculation that a final powerbook update will be made by the end of august, i will wait for that. i have all of summer to buy a powerbook, as school doesnt start until then.

i'll miss out on that $100 rebate i suppose, however.

24. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

If Intel processors won't even be in the higer end machines until the end of 2006, they're not just going to stop upgrading the product line. There might still be a couple updates in there from the lower end machines too. It's not like they're not going to release anything new for a year. I'd expect new stuff in July and maybe January and then the MacIntels next assuming they release those in June or so.

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Apple better smarten up abit!

It's probably contractual issues, and an attempt to play nice with the developers, that motivated Apple to make the announcement when they did.

Read my signature... and you'll see the timing of the exit from IBM coincides with the CPU delivery contract they signed with IBM.

Right now Apple is in a strong position to avoid the possibility of going out of business if their sales suck for a year.

Plus people know Apple is fixing the CPU delivery issue ... something that has cost many computer sales over the years.