Apple blacklisted GraphicPower.com!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Megaquad, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

From GraphicPower.com :
    This is the last article I will ever post on GraphicPower.

We have been feverishly making our preparations for attending Macworld Expo. Several new articles and product reviews are queued up for posting over the next several weeks. We have been planning a party in New York on Thursday night of Expo week called "The Genius Party."
    GraphicPower.com

Apple seriously f*cked it up,they are destroying Mac community.

2. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

man.. thats really messed up... they havent done anything...

i mean, even CNET posts speculation for crying out loud! i wonder if they took away their pass!

i wonder if arn has had any troubles.. or if hes going...

3. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

when i saw that..it's like apple throw bat'leth at me..
    i see apple in different light..are they becoming evil empire?

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Talk about being petty

Think about this for a minute or two... You have a limited amount of space to give people that are paying to see the keynote. Of the media people would you prefer to give passes to the magazines and such, or some rumor mill??? If it was me, I would get the passes out to all the other news organizations, and then IF there were any left (of the allotment for media) I would offer them to the rumor sites. If there are none left, so be it. Also, people purchase the keynote passes as soon as they are available so that they are guaranteed a seat.

As for being petty, I am talking about the guy at graphicpower... for him to not purchase any Apple ever again, is VERY petty and childish. Cancelling the entire expo visit over this one issue is also acting like a 5 year old that isn't getting his way. :rolleyes:

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, this is the first Apple Expo when I see this kind of situation. Obviusly Apple is doing some movments that are not consistant with the image that we used to know. There is not reason to denied a pass, this is the first time, I never knew about people complaining because they couldn't see the key note because "there are not seats" or because "Apple needs the money of the seats".

May be something came up with some stupid idea, like that law in some state of the south that says "a man with mustach can't kiss a girl".
    More... Take a look at this

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This was out yesterday, with IDGs comments on why the passes were pulled.

IDGs requirements - www.macworldexpo.com/macworldexpo/v31/index.cvn?ID=10246

Commercial News Outlets

An online commercial news outlet:
    * Has a paid subscriber base or is advertising sponsored
    * Publishes original news content at least once per week by employed staff
    * Contains original news content above and beyond links, forums, troubleshooting tips and reader/viewer contributions
    * Does not violate copyright regulations (e.g., illegal software downloads)

For more information, contact Brooke Selby at 508-424-4808 or

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Of course with such a big IDG client like Apple, it would be insane to assume that a call from Apple to enforce the "commercial" requirements wouldn't have some effect.

8. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: Talk about being petty

I am with you... it is not the end of the world because Apple will not give you a media pass. Maybe I should start a "Apple is great here is the latest news on them" site... then I could expect a media pass too. They have be selective as to who to give the seats to and pages like GraphicPower.com just don't make the grade over the important media. That is not to say that sites like GraphicPower.com are not essectial to the Apple community just that they are not essential to Apple's next quarter success.

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

they have a rumor section, it's their own fault. and they don't look like they are serious about news anyway...:rolleyes:

10. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Well, beeing an entusiast does not qualify as beeing a journalist... I can see why Apple, or IDG for that matter, only wants professional journalist to get a media pass.

If Apple decided not to give members of rumors sites any kind of pass to the show, I would agree with the rantings, though.

Journalism is a profession, not a hobby! I'm sorry to see that Scott over at GraphicPower.com does not understand the difference. But his rantings clearly show why he doesn't.

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Would that be his cracked brain pan??? Or the crack he smokes??? :eek: :eek: :p :D

I have not heard of any legit journalists being banned, or even small publications having issues.

I am fairly certain that they only banned the people listed as the webmasters or the creators of the sites.

Just because you post things up on a web page, as a member of the site, doesn't qualify you for being banned. Besides, most good sites will not publish your real info, thus potentially causing you to be banned.

Actually, the only person I have heard that has been b*tching about his IS the guy from graphicpower.com... :rolleyes:

12. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Apple shouldnt be blacklisting anyone. Atleast we take the time to specualte about their products and do crazy **** to void our warranties.

heres my voice to Apple:

Dont do things like that. We're your loyal fans. If you lose us, you got nothin, so treat us with a tad more respect. We are your advocates in the REAL WORLD!! Commertials and stores only do so much. We keep your business running by telling others the way of the mac.
    Plus, i read graphicpower.com. Its a decent site committed to Apple and its products. Also, its not nice to deny press passes to something just because it doesnt have a magazine or has a now foresaken rumors section. Now, I understand that EVERYONE cant get press passes, but atleast offer something as consolation. Maybe even half off general public tix or something!

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Perhaps you missed some of the facts, buster... None of the people that post on the rumor sites are being banned. ONLY the 'webmaster's are not being allowed to see the keynote in person.

So what if they don't get the cushy seats?? You can still see it in a number of ways. The guy from graphicpower is just being a whiner, pure and simple. :rolleyes: He needs to get over it and move on. Also, his stating that he won't buy another Apple product, ever, is just plain childish (at best). It sounds more like a 4 year old throwing a temper tantrum then a responsible adult. With that statement, he lost all credibility with me. I never went to his site, except to view his banter on this issue, and I won't go back there again. :p :D

14. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I trust ur word, alpha. I seemed, by the way he said it, that Apple was screwing him over and didnt give a care about it. I guess i misunderstood.

15. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I trust ur word, alpha. I seemed, by the way he said it, that Apple was screwing him over and didnt give a care about it. I guess i misunderstood. Now that i read it again and more carefully, i can see taht Apple did it in a very polite and curtious manner. I guess my previous post was a little too harsh on Apple. But one thing is true: we are apple's advocates in the real world. We go where its PR dept. left off.

Do u agree, alpha?

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Well, if you, me, or anyone else that is not a rumor site webmaster wants to get into the keynote, we can. There are very few people that are not being allowed in. There is/was some confusion as to who is to blame for not letting those webmasters in. They are not blocking my boss from getting into the keynote, so you have to fit a very small criteria in order to be not allowed in.

17. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

ic. So all u have to do is pretty much not be a webmaster of a rumor site and you'll have no problem getting a press pass (assuming u are affiliated with the press ofcourse)

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You got it Sparky... I could hear the light go on all the way over here... :eek: :eek: :D