Apple Blames Low Mac Sales on iMac Supply Constraints

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Today's quarterly results call revealed that Apple's Mac sales are down 16% compared to last year. Apple sold just 312,000 Macs per week compared to 371,000 per week during the same time period a year ago.

Peter Oppenheimer noted that Apple has experienced significant constraints on the new iMacs, and was only able to ship them during December. Without these constraints, he says, Mac sales would have been higher.
    Apple was only able to provide 3 to 4 weeks of inventory, below its target of 4 to 5 weeks. Apple's newest iMacs have been plagued with production issues, mainly due to a new lamination process used for the displays.

Cook further addressed this in the Question and Answer section.
    Cook also mentioned a few other minor factors, including the weak PC market and the impressive sales of the iPad. Apple sold more than 23 million iPads, and Cook said that some cannibalization was almost certainly a factor.

Article Link: Apple Blames Low Mac Sales on iMac Supply Constraints

2. macrumors member

Somehow I could see that coming considering most people are tight with their money in the present economy.

3. macrumors regular

i got an 27" iMac ! yayyyyyyyyyyy

i dont like the fusion drive ... i wanted a 256gb ssd ...... i hear it spinning up and down wtf

4. macrumors 68030

When Apple don't count it as a sale until it's shipped and payment taken - that's going to affect figures badly. I think we all knew this though :p.

5. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

If I were a Financial Analyst I would make millions predicting **** like this. As a normal person I look at the facts and draw the same conclusion. Amazing society we live in.

6. macrumors 6502

I feel like Steve wouldn't have allowed supply constraints like this to happen.

7. macrumors regular

StellarSoul

I'd also say that the insanely high price for a retina MacBook Pro (with decent hard disk space) is as larger factor in the sales drop. If they introduce Haswell models with a price drop this year plus revamped Airs I'm sure sales will rebound.

8. macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

If they had a new Mac Pro, would be even higher :rolleyes:

9. macrumors 604

16% down is quite a lot though, and desktop Macs make up only a fraction of the sales of portable Macs...

10. macrumors 68030

If that was the case - they wouldn't have seen such high demand at launch.

It's their top of the line product, it's going to be expensive - and you could say that about anything. If the 13" MBP was cheaper it'd sell more. But that's not what Apple do.

11. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I am sorry but apple sells 10 times as many laptops as they do desktops. The imac is not the reason mac sales were down 22%.

12. macrumors 604

I reckon the sales would have been higher if the rMBP hadn't been released - As people who are in the market for a new MacBook Pro would opt to wait for the second gen retina, due to a price slash and first-gen bugs being ironed out. Once they bring out a second gen retina with a lower price tag, and possibly make the cMBP's a tad cheaper as well, sales will go way up.

13. macrumors 65816

The supposed supply chain genius engineered this problem.

14. macrumors regular

The Democratic Republic of Congo, you racist!
    BS.

- The new iMac has non-removeable RAM, a deterrent for some users. And the SD card slot is on the back, WTF.

- It took Apple ridiculously long to update the iMac. Dell can push out an update every 2 seconds. All they have to do is make the internal components NOT over a year old. No need to change the style, just update it.

- Apple clearly doesn't care about desktop computers. If you go to an Apple store, there's that one iMac in the corner while the posters on the wall and the ads all tell you to buy something else.

15. macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

The new iMac is also ridiculously expensive. Last year models were pretty good price/performance for an AIO, the current need over-the-top expensive upgrades from Apple to make them great (Fusion/SSD). An iMac with SSD starts at €1635…

16. macrumors 68040

Their Laptop sales were fine. Their iMac sales were low.

17. macrumors P6

Peace

You did hear that MS was putting 2 billion into Dell to go private right ?

18. macrumors 68040

They already said that the iMac sales were 700K less than last year. Yes that doesn't make the 1.1 million loss (assuming that the mac wouldn't shrink or grow), but still that's a lot. So what you mean is that the iMac isn't the only reason mac sales were down.

19. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

They are the same price in the US when you account for today's models all come with 8GB of RAM standard.

20. macrumors 604

The price of the Retina MBP is going to come down significantly, though. I mean, look at the MacBook Air... Since it's been released the price has been slashed by $300, for the 13" model.

21. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

No one but geeks are ranting about non-removable RAM or the SD card slot. The biggest complaint or at least concern is the lack of a DVD drive.

22. macrumors 68040

neiltc13

This doesn't make any sense. The new Mac Pro was released last quarter and it included a great new CPU and GPU upgrade. So many people switched because of the machine's great power and price. :rolleyes:

23. macrumors regular

The Democratic Republic of Congo, you racist!
    Who uses DVDs? Anyone who uses a camera (except for Sony cameras) uses an SD card and probably wants to put the card in the computer. Anyone who knows what RAM is probably doesn't want to pay the Apple price for it.

24. macrumors G5

nagromme

I'm glad there's a company like Apply betting big on risky new design and manufacturing technologies... sometimes getting burned (like these low iMac supplies) and sometimes succeeding in a big way (milled aluminum casings across the board).

It's easy to just make whatever has worked before. But without this kind of innovation and risk-taking, we'd lose out on a lot.

(PREDICTION: someone will forget that we're talking about display lamination, and ask how "innovative" I think it is to make a DVD player optional :p I'll answer now: I think it's not innovative, merely a good move.)

25. macrumors 6502

Low Mac Sales; Really?

This is probably the biggest surprise of the numbers at least to me. What happened to the "Halo Effect"? It can't be explained by just the delay in production on iMac. All the recent news has been about iPhone sales but if Apple can no longer produce compelling computers then Cupertino, we have a problem.