Apple Blocks Rumor Sites

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jul 2, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Think Secret has an article reporting that Apple is denying press credentials from any rumor-oriented Mac sites:

From the mail we've received, it appears that Apple, its convention partner IDG World Expo, and public relations company Manning Selvage & Lee have stepped up their efforts to squash "rumor" sites by denying them credentials.

2. macrumors member

This is so bogus. Companies owe a certain amount of transparency to the government and to shareholders (if that applies), but they don't owe transparency to random busybodies. Now, I love Mac rumor sites, but are ThinkSecret actually trying to convince us that Apple owes them living by allowing them to spill all its trade tidbits ahead of time? Poor argument.

3. macrumors newbie

This sort of splits me a little. I see this being both positive and negative, but one thing I would like to point out is wrong. They said the media relations with Apple are at an all time low, but yesterday on Macnn.com (i believe) posted that Apple is on the top 10 most covered companies (positively). So, they can't being doing too badly in that area.

4. sjs
    macrumors 6502

The author to that article has fallen victim to the "victimization" of America.

"Woe is me. I run a little ole web site that allows people to post their random thoughts. Occasionally I post a link to someone else's random thoughts. I cannot bekieve Apple won't give me press credentials to MWNY. Why, the New York Times and Washington Post will be there! Why can't I get in free, too? It's not fair!"

Give me a break. This is a nice, well run web site. The "press" it ain't. Note that Arn's not complaining...he's too busy building this business. Apple will spend millions on MWNY and deserve to limit the free entrants to real news organizations.

5. macrumors newbie

It's the risk of being in the rumor biz

Forgive me for throwing water on the passionate commentary by Think Secret. I'll admit to spending way too much time on the Mac rumor sites. I'm always fascinated and appreciative for what they discover, but I approach them at the same time with a note of skepticism at what are often total flights of fantasy, or at worst sheer posturing for what they would like to see.

It should come as no surprise to the rumor site operators that Apple will jealously defend its right to privacy, even secrecy over its intellectual capital. While the sites certainly stir interest and speculation, by speculating incorrectly, the sites can falsely raise expectations to unreasonable levels (iWalk or G5, anyone?). And that can damage Apple's credibilty. Further, is it any surprise that Steve Jobs and others at Apple like to control the flow of news, or prevent spoiling good surprises?

Freedom of speech may be a God-given right in the United States, one we tend to take for granted. But there is no absolute right that a company must make its trade secrets transparent for all to see. Following this argument, a press pass is a priviledge, not a right. Ditto for news access. Until such a time as the courts mandate that equal access must be given to rumor sites as mainstream news media, the passionate arguments of Think Secret simply lack merit.

Sorry guys. I love a lot of your reporting. But you and your rumor site bretheren must be aware that this is part of the risks of your business. It will make dumpster diving somewhat more difficult, but there is a price of doing business in every trade, including rumor mills.

6. macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

This wouldnt bother me if apple had not used "Rumor Sites" as part of its marketing campaign for MWSF.

7. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I'm really forgetful, so prompt me here. How did Apple use rumor sites as part of its marketing campaign for MWSF? Just asking... :)

8. macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

My bad, i didnt explain that well.

The week before MWSF, apple had a new slogan every day on its web site. One day they had "Beyond the rumor sites, way beyond."

I felt that by referencing the rumor sites, they were reaching out to their loyal fans. I thought it was cool. Now this. It doesnt really bother me, but security is their thing, rumor sites increase sales, dont they?

9. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

Maybe what Apple meant when they ran the banner "Beyond the Rumor Sites, Way Beyond" was that free access to Steve and all his press information was now way beyond their reach!

10. macrumors 6502a

MWNY is not MWSF, they have 2 different atmospheres, especially contrasting Bohemian SanFransico with NewYorkish New York ;)

11. macrumors newbie

:(

12. macrumors 6502a

How is that using the rumor sites? Its not at all. It alludes to the sites, that is not "using", the rumor sites are known as outlandish, so they used a contemporary reference.

After seeing how certain “regulars” post here, its no wonder apple refuses to think of "rumor sites" as press… These rumor sites are like NewsMax....

This site isn't the press, its rumors!

13. macrumors 65816

I don't see a problem with this. Apple is saying "look, if you spread rumors about what we might or might not release, it won't be a surprise". I think that Think Secret is more full of it by claiming this tatic to be "Blackmail". That's humorous at best. What does the judicial system do when a no gag order is violated? Jail time. Rumors are bad for business. If you wanted a machine today but a rumor said a new one will be out in 3 months, you'd wait or a majority would. That hurts Apples sales.

I do enjoy rumors tho:) Just think Think Secret is pissed about something. If it ain't payback, then don't say it ain't.

14. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think that Apple is doing this so that they can squeeze more real press into the keynotes, instead of having rumor people who will know everything eventually, if not before the keynote. They're just probably trying to get better press coverage.

Besides, can't they get into the keynote anyways? They don't need their press passes, they just need to register... And what's wrong with watching it over the internet? I'll be doing that until I can afford to go to a Mac World, which will probably be quite some time.

15. macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

God no!
    Rumor sites most assuredly do NOT increase sales. They keep touting what will come next, which encourages people to wait for the eternal 'next thing' instead of buying what's here today. I don't think they do any real damage, mind you, but they absolutely do not increase sales.

16. macrumors 6502a

Maybe if Apple would release the 'next thing' people want, then the rumor sites would stop for a while and sales would pick up :rolleyes: :D

17. macrumors 6502a

And of course the rumor sites don't expect press passes... RE READ THE ARTICLE... it's saying legit sites (that are unnamed, I'm guessing MacNN, MacCentral, MacMinute) risk being basically banished from MacWorld keynotes if they even HINT at a popular rumor or rumor sites... Macrumors and Spymac and ThinkSecret and such are not expecting press passes... they're just trying to speak for the "big" sites that Apple is basically blackmailing so the sites can't speak for themselves.

18. macrumors 6502a

drastik

I don't buy this one. Apple can't giv press sites to everyoen who asks, It'd be like giving ot superbowl passes to every spors fan, except MacWorld tickts cost, much, much more. My guess is, Apple is a little mifed about all this precoverage od Jaguar. Not to mention, if they are reading arond here, the large numbe who already have Jaguar probably anges them

19. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    just buy a pass and be done with it...

its a write-off so get over it.

apple doesn't owe ZIP to any mac related sites!

btw, is apple going to ban Time-Canada's press pass?...just wondering

:D

20. macrumors 6502a

/me sighs :eek: :(

21. macrumors 6502a

Read the article, you have no idea what you're talking about.

22. macrumors regular

you cant blame them..

Well, just look at that stupid rumor of a 1.5 GHz G4 at MWNY!! THese are the things that piss Apple off! So, if a 1.5 GHz G4 isn't released, people are dissapointed, the stocks go down, people don't buy the 1.2GHz G4 that's released, eternally waiting for the "next big thing".

23. macrumors newbie

Macworld et al

Anyone read macworld magazine lately? it's as thin as a pamphlet. Apple should just buy the magazine since it's ads make up by far the lions share of the ad base. Oops, just thinking out loud.
    Now it seems to me--and I've been a writer for both macworld, macweek and macUser--that any place that has information about Mac's should let them into trade shows. They let me in and i'm a frigging anarchist. So are all the great Mac lovers. Rungdren used to be there giving out party passes with Bebe Buell in tow. Harry Anderson used to wander the aisles. I've partied with Primus and Herbie Hancock backstage at Metacreations parties at the exploratorium, and Chris Isaaks at the Radius party.
    And who could forget the Ingram-Micro parties with Morris Day?? Was i the only one dancing? And it was all cuz i got a press badge. A press badge got me places no one else could go. I saw Jobs picking his nose and yelling backstage. I saw Michael Eisner pulling his underwear out of the crack of his ass in a hotel bathroom. I saw Kai Krause drop so much acid that the entire Haight Ashbury lit up like a christmas tree in deference.
    See, a press badge is not just a reason to write smack about apple. it's about the free food at all the preview suites at the marriot. It's about the ass kissing ritual of PR and press. it's about the poopie that gets stuck on the noses of all the evangelists. Its a community gathering. It's a freak show. And the poor schmucks like me who have given their lives to espousing this machine and covering it come hell or high water (or clones and low stock price), should have access to the circus known as Macworld.

Give me lithium, or give me meth! LET THE PASSES FREE!!!

(For a fictional account of the Macworld expo at its peak, please email me for the infamous download of my timeless story: "Fear and Loathing at Macworld 1996". I guarantee you will try and bumrush the door after doing so. Send me an email at motive8@aol.com for the story.)

24. macrumors 68000

beatle888

motive8

why are you up so:eek: early in the morning?

dizzypope

25. macrumors member

backwards

Can you say:'reverse psychology'?