Apple Bluetooth Keyboard Troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wPod, Mar 30, 2006.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I just got a new apple bluetooth keyboard and a new intel mac mini. i originally set up the keyboard with my 15" PB G4 and it worked fine. but now i have decided i would rather set up the keyboard with the mini. i go system preferences>bluetooth>devices then delete they keyboard. this should un-pair the two. then when i try to add it to the mini, it doesnt work. i can re-add it to the PB and i have to punch in the verification code and everything (as if this is the first time i am hooking the keyboard to the PB) so i dont know why it wont work with the mini. any ideas? is there some way i can reset they keyboard to factory defaults and then it will work? i supose i should try connecting a different bluetooth device to the mini to see if its just the mini that doesnt want to work with bluetooth. but all my devices are already paired with the PB, i would have to un-pair them in the same manner. any ideas? thanks

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Just to recap, you did turn on the BT on the mini first, then turned the BT on the KB on in that order right? I know that the KB has to be off before connecting it with the mini as it was the same for my Intel iMac (to first set it up). You could just use your Hardware test disc and test it if you really don't want to try another BT device and see what happens.

3. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

yup, i tried following apple support article 86467 instructions on how to install they keyboard. (which is just what you described) but it wouldn't work. it works with the PB but no the mini.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Dunno if it'll help but maybe try taking the batteries out of the keyboard for a few seconds, put them back in, turn it on and then restart the mini. :)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think you need to unpair at all, though...mmm... my Apple mouse is paired to both my iBook and my iMac. I'm pretty sure the KB is also capable of this.

6. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

i think the BT just doesnt work on the mini. i cant get the keyboard, a mouse or my Razr cell phone to work with it

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you have a source of overlapping interference in the area? I am very near 100% sure that the Apple KB and Mouse work just fine with Minis that have BT. Or is it possible your Mini has a defect? :(

Mmm, wait, let me ask a dumb question...I don't know if this has anything to do with anything...but do you have a USB keyboard plugged into your Mac already while you're trying to pair your BT keyboard?

8. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

My PB is about 3 feet from the mini and it works fine with BT. unless the PB is interfering with the mini and not allowing the mini to pair with anything. i havent tried turning the PB off completely (only putting it to sleep).

i have tried both with a USB keyboard plugged in, and without a USB keyboard. but the mini just does not seem to recognize any BT device. so i am sort of guessing that its a defect in the mini. but i dont really want to spend the time calling apple or taking it to a store. but i might have to.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try it, or else, if you for some reason cannot, turn off the ability of BT devices to wake the PB in the preferences. If the PB begins to communicate with the BT device, it will appear to be "taken" and the Mini will refuse to pair to it.

For instance, I have my iMac with the BT mouse and KB, which work on my iBook as well. Like this:

[​IMG]

When the iMac paired to / using the BT devices, the iBook cannot see them. But if it's off, the iBook can use them just fine. Once you pair / authorize to the Mini, you should be able to use your powerbook as you normally would, and still have the KB and mouse work fine on the Mini.

The other thing you can try is this: boot off the install DVD with no KB or mouse plugged in. When it fails to find wired input devices, it should come to a screen where it looks for BT devices, and reminds you to make sure one is available... see if the Mini can see the KB and mouse when booted in this fashion....