Apple bluetooth keyboard woes

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lufwa, Oct 5, 2005.

1. lufwa macrumors newbie

lufwa

I have a 1.5 month old Mac Mini - top of the range with built-in bluetooth, etc. Bought an Apple bluetooth keyboard off eBay. The keyboard is less than 6 inches from the computer but the signal is continually lost and the keyboard functions maybe 30% of the time. When it does work, often pressing a key once will repeat it, ie. trying to open a new tab in Safari opens about 600.

I'm guessing it is a problem with the keyboard, but I would like to make sure that it's not my computer as the 90 day warranty will be up before long.

Could it be interference? I have an LCD monitor and speakers next to the computer and a refrigerator (yes, really) about a foot away. It doesn't make sense to me that these would be causing the problem, but anyone? Could this be it?

Any ideas?

:confused: sara

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Firstly, can I say how cool it is to hear someone has a fridge so close to their computer. You are set. :cool:

Secondly, I haven't had any problems with my Wireless Keyboard (or Mouse) which is in a very similar interference-related setting (apart form the fridge). I bought them new from Apple though, so maybe you've just bought a faulty eBay one. :(

Is there any chance of getting in contact with the seller again?

3. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Firstly, your computer has a 1 year warranty, 90 days is the phone support component.

Try deleting the keyboard from bluetooth and re-pair it. Change the batteries? To see it the fridge is the culprit, unplug it for a while and test KB.

What's in the fridge?

4. erik1975 macrumors member

My bluetooth KB was acting weird, and I eventually traced it to corrosion on the battery terminals. I use some NiMh batteries, and it seems the metal of the terminal and the battery reacted. There was a small black dot on the positive side which cuased the battery connection to be flaky. This might be your cuase, and is worth checking out.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

erik1975, could you fix it? Did the black spot wipe off?

6. erik1975 macrumors member

Actually a friend found the issue and fixed it, just a few gentle scrapes with a small flathead screwdriver!

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I use 2 Apple BT keyboards side by side for my iBook and 12" PB. No interferance problem and I can use both keyboards (each one is paried to each of my Macs). My experience with Apple BT keyboards have been trouble-free. The battery life is very good as I have changed it over 4 months now.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This is the most important question.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

9. lufwa thread starter macrumors newbie

lufwa

I just put new batteries in, but I'll pick up some more on my way home tonight and try it again. I'll try unplugging the fridge as well.... not much in there to suffer anyway - 1 can of Stones, Quorn chicken and some soya milk. I think it needs a restock. :)

sara

10. lufwa thread starter macrumors newbie

lufwa

:D I should make that clearer - the can of stones isn't an actual can of rocks. It's bitter.

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

What's a "bitter" ? I'm totally lost. I know that quorn is good, though. :):)

and the keyboard thing.

..um.. Jiggle the wire. ;)

maybe it's low batteries?