Apple Bluetooth Mouse Battery Life

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wirelessimports, Mar 24, 2005.

1. wirelessimports macrumors member

Mar 24, 2005
    I Just switched from PC to mac and yes, i feel like an idiot now that I know I was wrong all these years.

I ended up with a Mac Mini fully loaded (minus DVD-R) and a beauitful 20" display which I am seriously thinking of upgrading to the 23" soon.

But my question to all of you is this... I got it a little under a month ago and well the battery life on the keyboard is 3 out of 5 bars of life. The mouse just hit 2 out of 5 bars, but heres the catch, ive already replaced the batteries on the mouse like not even 2 weeks ago and the keyboard i still havent replaced.

Im sure the light on the mouse must have something to do with it but I used to use the MS wireless mouse and the battery on that lasted me months before I had to change them.

I just wanted to know, did I get a lemon for a mouse or are the rest of you who own the apple bluetooth mouse having the same issue?

Thanks in advance from a new mac lover!
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I've never used one of Apple's, but mice are notorious for eating batteries. If you get yourself one of those rechargeable battery sets (they frequently come with 4 batteries and a charger), you will probably save yourself money in the long-run.
  3. Sly macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2003
    Airstrip One
    When you’re not using the mouse turn it off by sliding the little plastic cover over the light on the bottom. I get about 4 months out of my batteries this way.
  4. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've had my Mac Mini with wireless keyboard/mouse for almost three weeks now and the batteries are both still full. I usually turn off the mouse when I'm not using it but the keyboard is left on all the time.
  5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Not necessary. The LED goes dark when the Mac is put to sleep. I get about 6-8 weeks from a pair of alkaline cells. I used Ni-MH rechargeables for a while but they don't last nearly as long because they only put out 1.25 volts fully charged.
  6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004

agreed, the battery type does make all the difference when it comes to this

i do use recharables, but considering their charge life i think i will be switching to a different type of battery

the keyboard life is great, i get a few months easily between changes, and i usually go about a month and a half with the mouse

i turn neither off at night either, so i know i could conserve a bit more power with em if i wanted to by putting my mac to sleep
  7. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

May 5, 2002
    Gold Coast, Australia
    I have a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse and its batteries last me around 6 months (just like what Microsoft says)-a bit longer than the Apple wireless mouse might.
  8. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

well, that thing basically shuts its self off after 5 seconds of inactivity anyway...

on a good pair of alkaline batteries, I get 2 months on my mouse. now that im on rechargables, im getting a little bit less.
  9. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2003
    Do you have a cat? Besides the obvious cat-playing-with-mouse pun, my cat constantly jumps onto my desk and knocks around my stuff. He wakes my iMac up all the time. . . what a pest! :)

I just picked up a Apple wireless keyboard myself and stopped at Target to get a set of rechargeable batteries. I think it will be worth it in the long run.

10. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

Mar 24, 2005
    who knows, i just bought 40 AA duracell batteries off ebay for $10, that should be plenty.

Anyone know if the Microsoft BT mouse will work with Macs?