Apple Bluetooth Mouse + Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by triton, Jun 26, 2005.

1. triton macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a powerbook 1.67, and would like to have a mouse with it should I may find myself needing to use it at home. This may sound like a silly question but does the Apple BT Mouse make the PB run hotter? :confused: In other words, does it make the PB work harder, than say using a regular USB mouse? Or is it a nuisance in terms of changing batteries all the time? :confused: I would appreciate any help you can give me!

Thank you! :)

2. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

not harder... shorter.

having the BT on will drain your bettery faster than if you had the radio turned off. not sure of the difference but it will probably be in the range of 20-30 min off a full charge.

3. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Hi, I was in the same boat as you.
    I purchased the BT mouse, instead of the regular one.

I am very happy with it. Its stylish as only an apple product can be.
    It is, quite heavy compared to a normal mouse, which is not really noticeable, unless you're actually working with 2 computers simultaneously.
    Then you'll notice the weight (because of the batteries).

The lithium batteries that came with the BT mouse lasted me about 2 months. And I used it a lot.

Its not a misssion to change batteries, and its a real bonus not having to worry about a cable each time you pack your mouse into your work bag, or want to clean up your desk.

If you're happy using Apple's 1 button mouse system, go for the BT mouse.
    I'm loving it.

4. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

It doesn't increase the heat at all, just uses the battery up quicker, as mentioned. Good Lithium batteries last you about 6 months. It really is VERY nice not having to wrap up a cord, just flick the laser cover to off and drop it away.

I had to do a keynote here at work the other day, and just carried it in my hand as a remote clicker. I noticed a few people kinda staring, trying to figure out how I was changing slides (slides which are much cooler than Powerpoint slides!) without having to be at the computer....so mysterious!

5. triton thread starter macrumors regular

WOW! Thank you guys! :)

How much do the lithium batteries cost to replace? Are they easy to find? Does the mouse perform pretty well in terms of waking a computer up from sleep? How is the tracking? :confused:

Thank you for all of your help once again.

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm going to go against what everyone else has been saying. I bought my Apple Bluetooth mouse, and have since realized that a one button bluetooth mouse is... well... not the best solution. I didn't like that i had to keep an extra set of batteries around at all. In the end, it'll end up costing you alot of $ unless you buy rechargables, which cost alot of $ up front.

So I ended up buying a wired ligitech mx510... and I use every single button. I don't think I could go back to using a one button mouse EVER again.

I would advise you not to buy an apple bluetooth mouse. Go with another company that makes a more useful product. You'll be happier you went with usability over style in the long run.

7. triton thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the advice. Maybe I should get the Logitech MX1000? :confused:

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There is also The Mouse BT by MacMice:

http://www.dvforge.com/themousebt.shtml

It is a two-button plus scrollwheel mouse designed to stylistically match the Apple mouse, and it also comes in a similar silver version, which looks more like the PB. Some people said early models were choppy, but it seems to have been resolved. I would have bought one had it been available when I got my Apple BT mouse.

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Do.

I used to use the Apple Bluetooth mouse and recently changed to the Logitech MX1000, the difference is night and day. I didn't mind the one button concept (keyboard shortcuts are the way to go), the need to change batteries regularly was a bit of a chore but frankly it was the lag which made me trade Apple's BT mouse in. The laser really does make a difference and I'm beginning to appreciate some of the extra buttons!

If you're planning to travel a lot, the MX1000 might be a bit cumbersome, it comes with a base station which uses up a USB port.

After a few days with my MX1000 I couldn't imagine trading it in now.

10. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

I don't think you need a mouse, really. I bought the mouse but I barely use it, the trackpad is much more convenience since when you type, your hand is already close to it, just move a little bit and you can get to the trackpad, with mouse you have to reach out and get the mouse...

11. triton thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you to everyone who has responded.

I will not be doing a great deal of traveling with it. Only sometimes. My only worry with the MX is that in someway it's still teathered. And if that's the case I might as well get the regular usb mouse. *argh* :eek:

12. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

The batteries in the Apple are just normal AAs (or triple As?)
    Run to the dollar store and grab a pack. :)

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Just to give you an idea of what you can do with a logitech mouse... i'll post my setup.

Mouse1: Left click
    Mouse2: Right click
    Scroll wheel: Scrolling, obviously
    Click Scrolwheel: Hide application
    Cruise up button: Volume up
    Cruise Down button: Volume down
    Thumb back: Back a webpage
    Thumb forwards: Forward a webpage

It makes computin' much easier...

14. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Just get a Logitech MX900 like I did. It has a base station, but I only use it for charging the batteries. The MX900 is a BlueTooth mouse so it pairs with the built-in BlueTooth in my PowerBook. I can drop it in my case when I go somewhere and use it on-the-go. It's a fantastic mouse, has three extra buttons I've assigned to two Exposé functions and the Dashboard, and gets through an entire day of usage without dying. Only downside is that it doesn't have an on/off switch.

15. triton thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, this sounds like the smartest route I could take. The batteries last a whole day without a off switch? :confused: