apple Bluetooth wireless keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bearbo, Aug 10, 2006.

1. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

has apple BT wireless keyboard been good to people, should i get it, is there something esp. good/bad about it? Any input would be appreciated.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I like mine a lot. The only thing I miss about the older Apple keyboards is not having a place to set a pen or pencil above the top row of keys.

Goes through a set of alkaline cells (4) in about 3-4 months.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I like my Apple BT keyboard, too. Enough to have two of them: one for work and one for home. It's very responsive, looks good, doesn't have a lot of superfluous buttons, and the batteries last for awhile.

4. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

can this keyboard be used to wake computer up when asleep?

5. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

i dont suppose the apple wireless keyboard has any usb port?

6. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

No, the BT connectivity can't pull USB. The BT 2.0 + EDR runs at 3 mbps, while USB 1.1 runs at 12 mbps, and USB 2.0 runs at 480 mbps. This is also why it's impossible to put USB 2.0 ports on the Apple wired keyboard, since it's connector wouln't deliver enough bandwith, unless it was connected through FibreChannel, Gbit Ethernet or PCI...:p

7. motherduce macrumors 6502

Absolutely - and I love mine - had it for a while - good feel to the keyboard, and works great at all different distances.

8. ljump12 macrumors 6502

what if it was connected through USB 2.0?

9. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

The Apple Keyboard is connected through USB 2.0 with a bandwidth of 480mbps. 11 mbps for each of the USB 1.1 ports on it, and then a certain amount of kbps/mbps for the Keyboard itself. The Mighty Mouse is connected through 1.1.

And no, as explained it would require a bandwidth of more than 960mbps for the KB connector. 480mbps for each USB 2.0 port on the KB, and then a certain amoutn of bandwidth for the KB itself...;)

10. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

The BT keyboard is great! My only complaint is the color. Yes, white is apple's signature color right now, but it just gets dirty so easily. Im really picky about keeping everything clean, and it takes some care to keep the keyboard clean. But functionally the keyboard is great. very nice range (not that keyboards are usually that far from the computer) but my roommate wanted to test the range and was able to use they keyboard everwhere in our small 2 bedroom apt, including in different rooms! (though i dont think you could practically use a keyboard this way!)

11. bartelby macrumors Core

I love my Apple BT keyboard.
    I like to use it as a big remote control for iTunes when I'm in a different room to the computer!
    :)

12. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Have had my BT keyboard for 2 1/2 years, and it is great. I have spilled coffee/beer into it, and have brought it with me around the world. It's still clicking away.

Kimo