Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kwajaln, Sep 18, 2004.

1. kwajaln macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2004
    Hello! I want to switch to Apple but would like to read a good book first that can help with going from Windows to Apple. Can someone suggest a good one?

Before anyone asks if I have searched other posts - the answer is NO. I am in the middle of the desert in Kuwait on a military camp. Internet access is sporadic and not long-lasting when I get it, so no time for that.

P.S. I like the iMac G5.
  2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    WTF, you need to read a book to learn about using a Mac? Well, if you insist, you can check out "Mac OS X Panther for Dummies" since all current Macs come w/ the Panther OS.
  3. EMKoper macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2002
    Stafford, VA
    I don't think you need a book to switch....

I had never used a Mac before I switched and I thought I would go through computer paralysis for months trying to learn the ropes ... thought it would take a while to get my new Mac talking to my MS based computers, get my DSL workings, and all the other day-to-day use software working (like e-mail, iChat. etc). But, I found I didn't need any help or any book ... most things were very intuitive and needed little to no explanation. To help me understand before I bought an Apple, I found these chat groups and some of leading Mac magazines most helpful. Maybe you could get someone to ship you some recent issues? I did but the "Mac OSX Missing Manual" and I found it most useless after the first two weeks... I gave it away after about a year to a Mac user who was dead against OSX and thought it would help him out with his upgrade.

My biggest slow-down in the first week of using a Mac were:

1) I tried to adapt to the Apple 1 button mouse--verdict: rejected for a 3-button logitech mouse
    2) figuring out what the symbols for the apple, option, and control key meant (I like to use keyboard shortcuts and it took a while to crack the code).

There is nothing really to sweat when switching... it is unlikely you'll have any issue if using for personal home computing. It would be a nice twist if the Mac community would embrace potential switchers rather than pop-off at them.

Also- If you are in the armed forces or government civil service, thanks for your service overseas and I hope you get to come home soon! In fact, if you are in the service and you'd like some mags shipped to you, e-mail me at and I'll get some out to you!
  4. kwajaln thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2004
    Thank you for our words of advice. I am still up in the air, and unfortunately my decision will probably have to wait uintil I am back in the States and can go to an Apple store. I do appreciate your help. Thanks much!

F-Ballz, to answer your, I didn't think I would NEED to buy a book, but since I have zero experience with Apple computers, I thought it might not be a bad idea. I've heard Apples don't come with much in the way of help for how to use the software, and coming from Windows a book would have helped with that process.
  5. Mem macrumors member

Jul 1, 2004
    I second EMKoper's suggestion of Mac OS X Missing Manual by David Pogue. I got it when I switched and although OS X is very intuitive, it helped me figure out a few little interesting tid bits. I believe Pogue also wrote a book purely designed for Windows switchers. I don't have any first hand experience with this particular book, but if it's anything like Pogue's others it'll be perfect.

You'll love your Mac when you decide to switch!
  6. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002

one of the reasons why people like macs are because they are so easy to use, you usually can just open up a program and know what your doing. I don't know how much experience you have with computers in general, but if you even have a little i don't think a book is honestly needed. If you need help with little things eventually then you can always visit these forums :) I hope you decide to get a mac, and i'm sure you will love it. Sorry if i didn't specifically answer your question.
  7. kant macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    DON'T get the "dummy" book; a friend of a friend loaned it to me when they heard I had ordered an iBook. It sucks. It is written for somebody on a 5th grade level. And then it insults their intelligence.

The Missing Manual by Pogue

Good book for making the transition easier. Has an appendix "Where did it go" that makes switching much easier.

Mac OS X Hacks

I also found this one helpful as well. Some nice short reads on some of the tips. Helps for that instant gratification learning. :) Though I see that they've come out with a newer edition:
    Mac OS X Panther Hacks
  8. kant macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    This is the only Mac board that I've run across that I'll read regularly. Those boards seem full of folks intent on being insulting, condescending *******s to newbies. Thankfully people such as that seem to be in short supply on this board. Though maybe not short enough.
  9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    Pogue's the man. Apple care techs use that book as a reference!
  10. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    Get an In Person Intro

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac! I know that switching is scary in either direction, but you'll do great. Good news for you (bad news for us) is that OSX has more Windows-like features than OS9 and before. It shouldn't be too bad. There will be obvious things (the Apple Menu is now very much like the Start menu, the Trash Can is like the Recycling Bin, etc.)

There are a few things that might throw you for a loop, but you'll get a handle on them.

The most immediate thing you'll notice is that instead of each window having its own menu bar, there is a single, stationary menu bar at the top of the screen that changes itself depending on what application (program) you're working on and what you're doing. You'll hate it at first, but you'll come to appreciate it.

I'd say if you have someone who is "bilingual" to spend a half an hour with you and your new Mac to get you through the basic differences, you'll be able to figure out the rest on your own.

11. Zaty macrumors 65816

Mar 14, 2004
    I second the Missing Manual by David Pogue. It's a great series of books. The best thing is that Pogue is an expert in both the Mac and Windows platform which rare. (He even wrote Missing Manuals for XP!) That's why the Missing Manual for OS X is the book for switchers IMHO.
  12. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
  13. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
    yeah i noticed at the apple store they have several copies stationed in different strategic locations
  14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Its just that Pogue is a Mac fanboy who always reviews Mac products in a skewed and positive way, so of course Mac users are always on his side agreeing with him 110% whenever he writes an Apple related article. But his book IS one of the better books out there for Panther. Don't get "The Switchers" book......switching is easy. The Missing Manual for Panther OSX explains everything well enough for switchers. It also explains a lot of things that you may want to know AFTER you've switched already. If I just switched to Mac, I could learn 80% of the book just by trying it out. However, there are some details concerning the way Macs generally work that you won't know about unless you read about it, so you may want to get it even after you've switched and understand how to use it.

Like someone mentioned, even Apple techs and experienced Apple folks may learn one or two things if they read The Missing Manual. :)
  15. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    you really don't need a book, my mother can use a mac and shes not especially good on windows. Its not like everything on a mac is different, you still have folders and hard drives and stuff, its just that it seems more like first nature. The best way to learn is to have a mac infront of you, and to actually do things first hand, thats the best experience that you can get. Not by reading books about it! if you really feel lost then you could pick up a book BUT only once you have your mac, then you will learn the easy stuff within an hour of using it and you wont waste loads of time reading a book about somethign that is so very very simple. So get a book but after you have your mac, it might teach you a few shortcuts and tricks but don't be affraid to PM people on the boards here or start a new thread. Chances are that it will be answered in a few hours if not minutes! and even if you think its too stupid to ask there will be someone here who can help, of that i am sure. People like to help! ;)
  16. kwajaln thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2004
    Thank you all for your input, not only as to my question about a good Apple book, but to "the switch" as well.

I got some excellent information in this thread, and also a couple of good book recommendations if I want to go that route. I do feel better now about the possibility of switching to Apple.