Apple bought Emagic

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by heinzruediger, Jul 1, 2002.

1. heinzruediger macrumors newbie

2. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I really feel sorry for windows users today

There's always been more music software for the mac, now there's one less reason to think a PC is any use for audio.

I can only imagine the improvements apple will make to the more complex parts of logic to make it easier and more affordable to everyone. I think this is going to annoy a lot of the 3rd party developers like MOTU and Digidesign but we've always had more choice for music software than any other plaform anyway.

All the PC's really got now apart from mac port overs from Digidesign is a few offering from steinberg and cakewalk that don't remotely compare with Logic or Digital Performer and loads of those toy loop sequencers like fruity loops and stuff like that.

With all the core audio enhancements coming with jaguar's release, The mac is going to blow the PC away for audio even more. who cares if you can run a few more tracks or plug-ins on a fast PC when there's next to no choice on the software you can use.

Saying that, Protools LE 5.3.1 is all I'm looking forward to right now, whether it runs in OS X or otherwise. Logic being under apple's control just means we might finally see some really good BTO options on the apple store for musicians and they might finally see the need for improving the macs audio spec seeing as the video related software they've been buying recently works without the need for 3rd party hardware.

3. D*I*S_Frontman macrumors 6502

Apple, Emagic, and MOTU

I love MOTU's DP. We recorded our debut album with it and it was a dream. Their product line is stunning and very high quality without being outrageously expensive. I, too, hope Apple does not alienate them with this move.

What would be cool, however, would be if Apple used the Emagic software to create an instantly 100% transparently compatable, wicked powerful PCI add-on card for audio engineering applications, something like the Mackie card that just came out recently. Something that takes the weight of dozens of the biggest CPU hog plug-ins and frees up the main CPU's for track throughput work. That with Digital Performer and a rack of 896's would be amazing--24bit/96khz audio as a standard recording/mixing/mastering format for project studios, not just the big $ production facilities. Hey--it would be cool to load 2 or 3 such cards into a new PowerMac and record/mix/master 48 channels of 24/96 audio on our next project. That would not threaten the MOTU guys in the least--in fact, with the right kind of collaborative effort, it would really enhance their market position.

Of course, if the software gurus @ Apple could actually craft something that TOPS MOTU's DP, I'd like to see it. Look what they did with Final Cut Pro. If they take that same take-no-prisioners uncompromising approach to audio production, they could have a real winner on their hands. And we all know that having application software, OS, and hardware coming all from the same company means 10-fold better stability (which is why we all use Apples to begin with).

Apple has obviously decided to be the "creative professional's" computer, and nearly every acquisition in the last year seems to indicate that they are committed to further domination in this regard. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Bart

BTW--if you want to hear samples of our project done on DP, check these out:
    http://www.divineinsightmusic.net/mp3s.html