Apple brand scanners/printers/etc

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by GregUofMN, Mar 7, 2004.

1. GregUofMN macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2003
    Why doesn't Apple make scanners or printers or speakers or etc.? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd appreciate anything. Thanks.
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Apple does (or did) make speakers, or i should say they make enclosures for HK speakers. They used to make printers, which, aside from the Laserwriters, were kind of flops. I think they wound up costing too much money. Scanners aren't a good market anymore, it's kind of niche... They may have made one at some point, I don't remember...

Basically, without the historical perspective, they don't make these things because 3rd party vendors can make them better and cheaper, leaving the market pretty well solid...

3. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    unlike dell, apple realizes that they can just let the scanner and printer people do what they do best, make those products (hp, epson, etc.). apple now really only hops into a market if they can do it better, like the ipod, isight, final cut pro, dvd studio pro and so on. in the past they have taken risks and been the first, newton, quicktake, i even still have an apple tv remote control which i used on my old performa 638cd. apple used to make printers, and they were pretty good, but cost a good amount. i still use a high end apple color laser writer at home and it make beatiful prints.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Actually, Apple printers and scanners were very good. However, the key to success in today's economy is to focus your energy on doing what you do best. Today's printer and scanner markets are driven by price and very low prices, at that. Not even HP makes its own consumer printers anymore. So Apple decided it can't be profitable in those markets and got out of them.
  5. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Though it would be nice if Apple could make Image Capture work with as many scanners that Print Center works with printers...