Apple branded cell phone?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by J. Charles Holt, Jan 10, 2004.

1. J. Charles Holt macrumors newbie

Sep 14, 2003
    Louisville, CO
    I know there's been a lot of rumors floating around about Apple bringing out a cell phone. I remember hearing they had partnered up with someone (Nokia?), so chances are they're working on SOMETHING.

So I got to thinking: What could Apple do that would make their cellphone better than everyone else's? The answer: Talk over IP, with the potential for video.

They already have the video chat thing figured out with iChat and iSight. What if you could use iChat to call someone on Apple's cellular network? And, with an iSight camera and a built-in camera on the phone, you could do video chat from computer to cellphone. Now THAT would be revolutionary.

They'd have to team up with a cellular network provider (pretty expensive to install your own network), but otherwise I believe all the technology is already in place.

What do you guys think?
  2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    probably not going ot happen. Apple seems to be proud of their partnerships (ie. Pepsi and HP). I don't even remember rumors that HP would be partnering so these things are pretty well hidden. I don't think phone development or the features you were talking about is something apple should focus on just a waste of money for a niche product if you ask me
  3. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
  4. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i think it would be highly unlikely for apple to enter the cell phone market. but it would also be wrong to say never. i mean who thought they would enter the music market...but i am not holding my breath, i personally want them to make a g5 pb and not a cell phone
  5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i think that if Apple released a cellphone, it would have to work with existing networks and technologies-- trying something new only works if you're well established in this field. as far as adhering to existing technologies, Apple has nothing to offer, except an improved interface-- which i'm not sure is reason enough to enter the market.

cellular videophoning will be a reality soon, but it's for the existing, major players to work out, not a newbie...

6. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    An Apple phone has been on the lis of Jobs's NEVERS for quite some time.