Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has today announced a new mindfulness-based health app for the Apple Watch called 'Breathe'.

Breathe is designed to help users alleviate everyday stresses by coaching them through timed breathing sessions, which can be launched from the watch face and set up in advance with reminders.

Screen-Shot-2016-06-13-at-18.27.24-800x276.jpg

Breathing sessions can be set to last between one and five minutes using the Digital Crown on the Apple Watch, and the app provides summaries of each session including the user's recorded heart rate throughout.

The Breathe app is part of WatchOS 3, which will be released as a free upgrade this fall.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'Breathe' Mindfulness App for Apple Watch

BalancedTech

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
Global, Inter-Continental
Pity it only allows for a 5 minute break...

Apple has today announced a new mindfulness-based health app for the Apple Watch called 'Breathe'. Breathe is designed to help users alleviate everyday stresses by coaching them through timed breathing sessions...
Screen-Shot-2016-06-13-at-18.27.24-800x276.jpg
Breathing sessions can be set to last between one and five minutes using the Digital Crown on the Apple Watch, and the app provides summaries of each session including the user's recorded heart rate throughout.

The Breathe app is part of WatchOS 3, which will be released as a free upgrade this fall.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'Breathe' Mindfulness App for Apple Watch[/QUOTE]

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I can actually see myself using this. I've been dealing with some deeply personal issues with mental illness in my extended family for the past several months, and this is something my therapist recommended to help reduce the stress of that situation. Combined a huge redesign at work, a pregnant wife, and selling our house—yeah, this should help. Been a rough year so far. It's really difficult to stop and focus on doing this throughout the day. I hope we can set how often it asks, however.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
This will definitely catch a lot of flack, but I think mostly for two reasons:

1. Lack of knowledge.
2. Being presented as if everyone will understand.

It will be a great tool for a small audience, but ridiculed by the masses. :/

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
As someone who suffered from panic attacks due to stress, this is a fantastic feature as controlled breathing like this acutally helped me in a way I've never imagined.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
From one macrumors reader to another, good luck. I think you are great. If this is your first kid, being a parent is awesome (I have six kids). If it's not your first great for adding a sibling! And the fact that you are seeing a therapist is a sign that you are taking care of your mental health for your own benefit and those around you. you got this. And if a breathing app helps. Use it!

I can actually see myself using this. I've been dealing with some deeply personal issues with mental illness in my extended family for the past several months, and this is something my therapist recommended to help reduce the stress of that situation. Combined a huge redesign at work, a pregnant wife, and selling our house—yeah, this should help. Been a rough year so far. It's really difficult to stop and focus on doing this throughout the day. I hope we can set how often it asks, however.

Reactions: macduke

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
From one macrumors reader to another, good luck. I think you are great. If this is your first kid, being a parent is awesome (I have six kids). If it's not your first great for adding a sibling! And the fact that you are seeing a therapist is a sign that you are taking care of your mental health for your own benefit and those around you. you got this. And if a breathing app helps. Use it!
Thanks. It's our second and final kid unless there is some mishap. Had our first a couple years ago. I do freaking love being a parent. It's much better than I thought it would be, and our daughter is growing up to be quite the polite and even surprisingly witty 2.5 year old. Kids can be amazing sometimes. We had to move so my wife could expand her daycare business (she decided to stay home after having our kid).

Another reason we're moving, and what has been a big stressor in my life, is that I have a neighbor who is absolutely insane. Her mom won a small jackpot lottery of a few million and bought her the house, and she's crazy and uses meth, pot, k-2 and some kind of rage-inducing drug (probably crack?). She's also been accused of doing prostitution in her home in front of her children, threatened to kill people on the street while sitting on her porch with her .22, and understandably our daycare moms aren't happy. From August to November last year the police were at her house about two times per week on average, including a climax on Thanksgiving day where four cruisers pulled up and cops circled her house and busted down the door while I had my family over eating dinner. No idea how she's not in prison yet. We live in a nice but smaller ~10 year old house across the street from a decent park on a sleepy cul-de-sac. Or at least it used to be sleepy. She admittedly has a lot of drug dealer friends, and they often hang out in her front yard doing drugs, and honk their horn loudly at random times (usually while we're sleeping). But all that will be changing in a few weeks when we move!

Yeah, my work has some great resources to get therapy for free. It's too bad most places don't have that as I'm not sure if I would have started in the first place if there was a lot of cost involved. Yeah, the app feature is just a small thing, but it sounds nice. So many people around the world are dealing with way more stress than I am. Honestly, my work isn't super stressful. And I don't have to worry about feeding my kid. And I have a work that's nice enough to pay for most of my Apple Watch as a health incentive to meet certain goals so that I can even use a feature like this. And my boss is really chill and gives me stress days off when something blows up with my extended family (usually a suicide attempt or worse). But I like that Apple cares enough to build in small things like this that can help people cope with stress. It's a huge problem in our society. It's just one of many things I can add to my anti-stress toolkit, and for that I'm grateful. Free updates are free updates, IDK why everyone feels the need to complain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.