Apple Bringing Some Mac Production Back to U.S. in 2013

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

NBC reports that Apple CEO Tim Cook will announce during an interview airing on Rock Center tonight that the company is bringing some Mac production back to the United States.
    Cook has more to say about the effort in a lengthy interview with Bloomberg Businessweek, noting that Apple is spending about $100 million on the effort.
    [​IMG]
    Cook also addresses several of the challenges Apple faces in bringing production back to the United States, pointing out once again that the educational system is not producing the expertise needed for major manufacturing in consumer electronics, but he hopes that Apple's effort can help spur progress in that area.

Article Link: Apple Bringing Some Mac Production Back to U.S. in 2013

2. macrumors 68030

cmChimera

3. macrumors regular

Tryna save AAPL from the sell off thats going on. Will it work though?

4. macrumors newbie

interesting, i think the production will be made by machines at least.

5. macrumors 6502

ck2875

I wonder how much of this is to have tighter control on supply chain leaks (i.e. There weren't any pics of the new iMac prior to reveal).

6. macrumors newbie

I doubt we'll ever see iOS products manufactured in the USA. Apple generally does as much as they can to hide leaks (never works), but if manufacturing was brought to the States, it would make it that much more difficult.

7. macrumors member

It would have to be a smaller scale product, if it were exclusively manufactured in the US, so I'm guessing Mac Pro.

8. Quu
    macrumors 68000

Quu

9. macrumors regular

I applaud the effort. To be honest, I feel that $100m is a drop in the bucket, but here's to hoping that number increases over time and creates even more jobs.

10. macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I bet that once you weigh up the training, the language barriers, the shipping, the return shipping, etc. etc. etc., the production is marginally cheaper in China. And it is probably too far away for tight quality control from the top execs. in the company.

Most likely, but I bet it could also be the iMacs.

11. macrumors 6502a

yep. new Mac Pros. Doesn't matter if they're super cheap, so they can be manufactured in the US.

12. macrumors regular

iMacs

As we´ve all seen, some of the current crop of new iMacs have been assembled in USA so it is very probable that the iMac is the line that will be produced in the U.S.

13. macrumors 6502

With all the shenanigans China pulls, I'm glad at least some companies are finally waking up and getting smart with their businesses!

14. macrumors regular

i wonder if i will able to see this interview in the UK :confused::confused:

15. macrumors 6502

extricated

Very good.
    Should open up a few more much-needed jobs here.

16. macrumors 68000

thewitt

In the labor intensive iPhone and iPad construction this is absolutely not true. Labor is a very large part of the cost, and training on the specific skills needed to assemble a phone is a relatively simple task.

The automated assembly lines that can be used on computer assembly require a higher skill level, larger capital investment, and can be run in the US.

17. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Leaks are more and more prevalent these days and they're proving to be quite accurate.

Glad they're bringing some back to the U.S. I'm all about cost-saving efforts but not at the risk pushing people out of work.

18. macrumors regular

If it's an entire line then it has to be the MacPro?

19. macrumors 603

Rocketman

I think it would have to be a headless Mac. Either the Pro or the Mini. With Pros made in Ireland I suspect they will honor that and produce the Mini here.

Rocketman

20. macrumors 68020

I disagree. I believe the opposite is true.

21. macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I ordered the new 21" iMac last week and it's on the way from China...

22. macrumors newbie

good

needless to say it will be the MacPro in a super slim design :D

23. macrumors 65816

Well Apple, if you love education as much as you say you do, why not put some of that huge pile of money you have back into the education system? :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 6502

25. macrumors member

"It's not known well that the engine for the iPhone and iPad is made in the U.S., and many of these are also exported--the engine, the processor."

Correct. The processor is made in the U.S. by the Samsung on Samsung's factory in Austin, TX.:D

But wait... Who said about distancing itself from Samsung as a part supplier? :confused: