Apple BT Wireless Keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PlaceofDis, Mar 18, 2004.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    Ok well i have a 12" powerbook, and being an english major i naturally do a lot of writing, it doesnt help that im a writer as well so naturally i end up typing a lot of stuff up every day. I think my powerbook's keyboard is great but i am starting to long for a full sized keyboard...just seems easier in the long run to type my hands wont sweat all over the pb and ill be able to keep the book i would really like an apple keyboard...but they are $50 and its only $62 for a wireless bt keyboard with my education discount so i might as well get the wireless one....what i want to know is if there are any other cheaper bluetooth keyboards....thats what i really like about apple's - the fact that i wont need any other any reccomendations? and what kind of battery life can i expect from the wireless keyboard if i end up getting it?

thank you in advance...
  2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Not aware of other BT keyboards. I have an Apple one and I love it. I've had it a little over 3 months now and the battery meter says I have a little over half left.
  3. raiderz182 macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2003
    north philly
    I have the apple bluetooth keyboard that I would sell for $50.
    Rarely used... the original batteries that came with it are still at 80%...
    please email me at if ur interested
  4. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2003
    I also have the Apple BT keyboard. I've had it just over 3 months also and my battery meter says 3/5 (60%). It's a great keyboard :) I bet it works better than the Microsoft one .. I have the Microsoft bluetooth mouse and it eats through batteries in about 2 weeks, jumps around the screen, and is just not as pleasant to use as the BT keyboard (I know you aren't interested in a mouse, but I am just trying to compare the quality)
  5. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I love my keyboard, it is my dream keyboard. I would get one, they are really nice to type on. If you type a lot, I defiantly think that you should get one.
  6. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Dec 6, 2003
    NYC, Astoria-Queens
    Do you not like the keyboard or just no use for it? I've got my old g4 tower behind my couch as a music/picture/video player. I've got Salling Clicker so I can use my phone as a mouse. With a Bluetooth keyboard I could totally never have to touch the tower ever again.
  7. raiderz182 macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2003
    north philly
    I really liked the keyboard for that half a month that I actually used it...
    see the thing was I used to use a 19 inch CRT monitor with my powerbook
    but since envision(the brand of the crt monitor) SUCKS SO BAD, my eyes started to hurt... now i just use my laptop's lcd...
    so im kinda forced to use the powerbook keyboard since another keyboard would make it too far for me to see clearly....

ps : placeofdis - you got the same laptop as me... are you sure you can see your screen clearly when you have another keyboard in front of you?
  8. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i have the laptop set up exactly where i want's at eye level about two-two 1/2 feet away from my face...but perfectly eye level...and i have a keyboard tray on my desk, which is were my mouse is too....thus it is more comfortable for me to type down on the tray and see the screen at eye level than to have the laptop lower and closer......

thanks for the info glad to hear that the batteries last so long, ill probably end up buying rechargables like ive done for the mouse...but the mouse goes through the batteries in about a month-month 1/2 not the two months that apple says

thanks again...
  9. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I also have the wireless keyboard, and have yet to replace the batteries after 6 months (although I do turn it off at night). Yes, you might want to get rechargeables, but even if not you won't be throwing a lot of money into batteries.

The keyboard is, as other have said, fantastic. No complaints.
  10. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    The mouse will be your main issue. If you like a 1 button mouse, then Apple hav etheirs, but if you want more functions then there are a few around. Do a thread search if your interested (key words Belkin, MX900 etc)
  11. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    Thanks Everyone

well i headed out today and i picked myself up the wireless keyboard along with a set of apples in ear headphones for the ipod, and all i can say is wow!!

im typing on the keyboard right now, its really sweet to be using a full sized keyboard again and i really like the response and feel of the keys, so thank you everyone for your info it helped me a lot

the in ear headphones are great too....comfortable and pristine sound, just what i was looking for...i would reccomend them to anyone in the market
  12. nargot macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2004
    Logitech MX keyboard should work even tho drivers arn't supported. I have the RF, MX keyboard and mouse and i like them so much i'm getting a BT mx900 mouse for mobility as the ibook keyboard does my needs on the move and the RF keyboard/mouse are great at home