Apple buying experiences in Australia

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deanops, Jan 22, 2007.

1. deanops macrumors regular

Hi, i am looking to buy my first mac soon, and i just wanted to find out if any Australians out there have had any good or bad experineces buying from apple or a store or a reseller.... i am mainly looking for any bonuses or extras that the system may come with, and if any would or could match a edu discount??? Any where to stay well away from???

thanks in advance

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Resellers get a crap deal from Apple. If you're in a hurry, get it directly from the online store because a customised Mac from a reseller will take ages unless they happen to have it ion stock, which is unlikely. Having said that, resellers are good for being able to see it in the flesh and you know you've got someone to yell at in person if it all goes pear-shaped. I've had up-and-down luck with NextByte, but now I'll almost always use the online store exclusively. :)

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I see you're in Melbourne, so I would highly recommend going to Streetwise. Service, prices, everything is awesome. The guys there will treat you really well :)

I haven't had a lot of great experiences with AppleCentres here. They seem to want to get money off you, and if they can't they don't want you in their shop. Kinda sad, because thats where most people go...

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I haven't had very much experience with centres/resellers as I've usually bought online. When my parents bought an iMac, they got it from Next Byte in Geelong. Service was reasonable, but they didn't throw anything extra in.

I live near the Moonee Ponds Apple Centre so I've stopped by there a few times, again pretty helpful, but as soon as I enquired about buying an iPod they started "highly recommending" all sort of accessories.

My uncle bought an iMac on Saturday (I'm slowly converting the family :p ) at Dicksmith Powerhouse, of all places, and the special Apple guy there was particularly helpful. They had a special offer running - buy Applecare with your product and get either MS Office or a 2GB Nano for free. He also took $40 off a Wireless modem router, which I was quite impressed with.

I've also stopped by the centre on Elizabeth street from time to time. The service staff seem a little useless to be honest. I hear them telling customer that if they want to run Windows they'll need 2GB of RAM and other such nonsense.

So the moral of the story is, it probably doesn't really matter where you buy it as they're pretty tight across the board (well except for Dick Smith). The good thing is, even if you order online you can still take it in anywhere and AppleCare will cover it.

5. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

i too live near the monne ponds store and i find they are ball breakers when it comes to the iPod.. .they wouldn't help me with a small problem with my iPod and attempted to convince me that i was seeing thing and was wrong... Dick smith is where i bought my pc from and i've had good and bad experinces with them... i saw that offer your talking about... do you find that they are either clinging on to you like flies soem days and others its like the store is empty?? i dunno... maybe i have to go thru apple to get the edu discount... it may be worth it enough...

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Dont forget the Apple "sale" listings. You can get some really good deals on refurb or superceeded stock.

7. furious macrumors 65816

furious

apple ozzie also have a ipod and mac deal going now. you would need to be a uni, tafe student to get it though.

8. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

what is superceeded??? do you just look online (i am aware of this) or can you visit an apple store...

9. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Lot of you guys live in Melbourne eh? I'm in the process of trying to get my Skilled Independent Visa and am thinking of Melbourne. You like it there I take it?

Any opinions on the place?

10. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i've been to brisbane and hobart, and if i had a choice i'd stay in melbourne. I love the place. i'm going to go into the city again tomorrow; if you want i can take some pics of the place

11. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

melbourne is GREAT... that is once you experience our weather... it was 40 degrees last week and yesterday it was raining like crazy!!! its an odd place id rather prefer to live in europe for the great weathwer and the lifestyle...melbourne is greqat for jobs and education tho..not dsaying anywhere else isnt tho ;)

12. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

i live in the heart of the city.. its great!!

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Adelaide's better for education. ;)

14. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

good for farming as well :p

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't forget the churches. If you need to pray, we've got it covered.

16. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Looks for the Special Deals section right down the bottom left of the Apple Store.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

18. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

i said tho, tho!!!! it depends.... lets get back onto the original topic now... do they sell refurbs at mac stores?

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I was just playin' with your original spelling. :p

They don't sell the refurbs listed on the online store but they do sell old demo stock. NextByte has a firesale and clearance stock that I like to keep an eye on.

20. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I only ever buy from Apple online and never had any issues. I did buy from a reseller once and it was torturous.

21. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

thats just stupid type... im actually pretty good... its just im lazy tonight.. .i watching the tennis!!

22. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

That'd be cool thanks. At the minute Melbourne / Brisbane / Perth are the ones we are looking at. Syndey is too expensive from the looks of things.

23. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

do you know if dick smith or an apple centre can match an edu discount???

24. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

There was a very, very nice deal on a 15" 2.33Ghz C2D MBP, WITH 120GB HDD and 2GB RAM in the Australian refurb store this morning. At AU$3,049, it was the best deal they've had in there in the last month. Gone now, but definitely worth keeping an eye on if you're in the market.

Edit: Oh yeah and Sydney is pretty damn expensive from what I've experienced so far. In terms of rent, a decent place in a decent location is about AU$550-600 a week (for two bedrooms). Nice weather though, and I'm looking forward to Australia Day :)

25. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Wow - just spotted this blooper on the refurb site too: a 2.3Ghz Quad core G5? I don't think so... (Link)

Attached Files: