Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Afraid not :)

If you have enough time to spend probably a few hours trying to track down the owner of the iPad then you are very lucky. I know myself and most others simply don't have the time.

If the owner wants it they can track it down themselves. It's not the OP's responsibility.

Be honest with yourself, if you were in the OP's position would you take the time to find the owner? 95% of the time the answer is no. You need to get a grip.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
If you have enough time to spend probably a few hours trying to track down the owner of the iPad then you are very lucky. I know myself and most others simply don't have the time.

If the owner wants it they can track it down themselves. It's not the OP's responsibility.

Be honest with yourself, if you were in the OP's position would you take the time to find the owner? 95% of the time the answer is no. You need to get a grip.

Nope. Posting on Craigslist or any online site takes minutes. I would personally do it, I respect you wouldn't. Your comment about getting a grip doesn't make sense.

The owner does indeed have responsibility of installing the find my iPhone/iPad app and go to the website and trace it. The app is responsible for a TSA agent being caught red handed on Dateline for stealing an iPad from luggage solely because the smart owner had installed the app and used it!

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Nope. Posting on Craigslist or any online site takes minutes. I would personally do it, I respect you wouldn't. Your comment about getting a grip doesn't make sense.

The owner does indeed have responsibility of installing the find my iPhone/iPad app and go to the website and trace it. The app is responsible for a TSA agent being caught red handed on Dateline for stealing an iPad from luggage solely because the smart owner had installed the app and used it!

By the time you deal with all the scam claims for the iPad and finally find the correct owner yes it will take hours I bet.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
By the time you deal with all the scam claims for the iPad and finally find the correct owner yes it will take hours I bet.

Why would you? That would be for the police. Plus a lot of people have personal photos and personal information etc on their iPads to be confirmed.

I would turn it over to the lost and found of the police

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Did I not make it clear? A lost iPad was turned in. Apple called me to come pick up my iPad. Since it wasn't mine, I didn't do it.

Not a scam. This was Apple.

No, you didn't. Not until this post.

Odd though. I thought Apple wouldn't get involved in helping people locate lost property.

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
No, you didn't. Not until this post.

Odd though. I thought Apple wouldn't get involved in helping people locate lost property.

It sounds like a good samaritan found an iPad and didn't know what to do with it and took it into an Apple store, and left it with them and the staff looked up the serial number and called the original purchaser. So not helping locate lost property, but someone handed it in.

I work in a phone store and people bring in found phones all the time, we can look up account information, but sometimes the only number listed in the account is the one that is lost and in our possession, lol

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Why would you? That would be for the police. Plus a lot of people have personal photos and personal information etc on their iPads to be confirmed.

First you would post ads and now you would turn it over to the police most likely for the senior sergeant to take home and give to his kids...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Crazy eyes.

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
Did I not make it clear? A lost iPad was turned in. Apple called me to come pick up my iPad. Since it wasn't mine, I didn't do it.

Not a scam. This was Apple.

Actually, from your original post, it really isn't clear what the hell you're talking about.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
I would call the Apple store back and see if they have tried anything else. And if you think you might be able to track down the owner once you see it, or have it in your possession, then go pick it up (regardless if you told them you sold it, according to Apples docs it is still yours).

My point is, is if the Apple Store can't track down the new owner, and there is a chance you can, then you should.

Omgitsdesmond

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Apparently, someone who I sold an iPad 2 to on eBay lost it. Apple called today to ask if I had any info regarding an iPad I no longer own. Obviously, the my support website is not updated on their end. I unregistered it, as I sold (or returned it), yet they still showed me as the owner.

I guess I should've played dumb and just took it back, but the thought never occurred to me until now. Oh well...:(

This may be a stupid question, but how do you unregister something after it's been registered with apple?

LorPGDL

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2011
i dont know where the original poster is from but here in austria there is a law which compels a finder to get the lost item to the lost and found.

if the finder doesnt do that, he or she gets criminally charged (theoretically of course, but if the owner does manage to track the ipad and the finder still has it in their position they would have a hard time explaining why they kept it)

also, even if the original finder wasnt from apple it is now their responsibility to get it to the police. (or the edit: original owner (the op of this thread) if he gets the ipad from apple, as they already tried)

btw you get a 10 % finders fee here up to an amount of 2000 € and the costs for returning it to the owner / police.

thats to encourage people to get lost property to the police, but i would say its human decency to do that. oh well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.