apple...called...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by janey, Nov 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janey macrumors 603

janey

I know there's been a bunch of threads on this already (like http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=71706), but like, I still can't believe it, and if I bring those threads back to life, nobody'll pay attention to it. I also am aware that there are a LOT of threads on Google about people from Apple calling, but none about buying stuff from said people. So here goes.

Some lady from Apple apparently called my cellphone from a number that originates from Northern California (916 399 7992) and it was bizarre (plus I called that number back, and it's a prerecorded message of someone saying stuff about Apple). She called me asking me if everything was alright with my iBook, et cetera. So I tell her about all the little quirks that make my iBook my iBook. Then it turns out she was calling me about a laptop I bought for a friend with my edu discount. So we started talking about the iBook that's actually in my possession, and turns out that I have about 20 days left to get AppleCare on my iBook G4 if i wanted to. So I told her I'd go and get it at the store, but she tells me she can offer it at a lower price ($189 as opposed to the $249 in store/online) because she works at Apple Corporate.

So she wants CC/debit card info over the phone, but I have no idea she's who she claims to be. Especially because I don't remember putting my cellphone number on any Apple registration forms, although my friend might have done that when she registered the iBook I helped her buy. But that friend's not there, so I don't know.

What do I do? :confused: :confused: :eek: :confused: :confused:

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What I would do is explain your concern to her, ask her to document the offer in your records at Apple, and give you a case number, or else to identify herself. Then call Apple back at the number published on their website, and refer back to the conversation or to her by the info you provided her. If she's legit, they should either send you back to her or verify the deal and you can proceed from there.

Apple should know better than to have someone call you and ask you to make a purchase and provide you with a CC number....

5. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Then again, she knew way too much about the computers and such I had registered, and what I had purchased to not be an apple employee.

i'll do that when she calls back.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A quick search made it look like people have been posting this number for years, at least since 2003.

7. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

yeah, but the actual phone call was too casual and gave me a funny feeling about the whole thing. plus she was a bit too enthuasiastic about giving me that discount and wanting to know if it was going to be visa or mastercard or whatever.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Telemarketers will try to instantly close you also.

However, nothing says you have to buy from them.

Especially if the phone number doesn't resolve as Apple Computer.

Lot's of people wondering about it, haven't seen any -- I was scammed by somebody at this number complaints.

Telemarketers are scumbags, but since you have contacted Apple -- they may be free to call you and sell you crap. Even if you are on the no call list.

9. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

true, but if i can save a few bucks on Applecare by switching my usual buying habits, why not? $60 can buy me...food... and it doesn't resolve as Apple, its just that everyone's been saying that it shows up on their caller IDs as Apple, or that its a northern california number, et cetera..
    Right, nobody's been scammed, but I haven't seen anyone being offered great discounts for buying over the phone.

10. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

My friends and I once saved an order from the Apple Store. It was just to see how expensive of an order we could create. We ordered 999 of many of the most expensive items they had, and we made it to about 17 million dollars Canadian. Apple never called. :)

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Janey, that just happened to me as well... I love how the woman tried to prey on assumed ignorance. She told me that my 90 days were almost up to purchase AppleCare but I know... I've got the full one year. ;)

12. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I got a discount on my Apple Care from the Apple store. On the checkout line, the sales guy asks if I want apple care, I said no I'll wait until the end of the year and then decide. Then he said if I bought it right there he could give it to me for $149. So I decided that was a good deal and bought it.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Whether it was Apple Care, or an offer for a PB that I might have considered. I am bothered that some are offer a discount and others are not.

I have no issues if you are a "power" user. But it seems that these offers are made on case by case basis.

14. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

strange you should bring this up.

i got a call about my powermac and we started talking about the problem's ive had and how awesome it is now. then she says well your applecare is up in a few days.

i have the 3 year plan.

turns out she was calling about the powermac that was ruined by compusa and for whatever reason it was still in their computers...

weird...

15. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

Yeah, it sorta sucks. Maybe if you confront them about it they'll give you one? I have no idea. It was a bizarre call and all.

16. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

so i got a call back from the same lady - 800 409 5381 x2616, i think her name was Alicia or something.

but alas, i save $6 by using my edu discount, so i'm thinking about doing that instead.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Its not worth the worrying and wonderment of the entire situation. I'd rather just pay the extra $60 and not worry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.