iPad Apple Calling "iPad mini" just iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by metsjetsfan, Nov 8, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Has anyone noticed that they are slowly starting to call the ipad 9.7 or the ipad mini just "ipad". Makes it very confusing what they are talking about sometimes people are just saying ipad and not referencing which one. i guess when the Mini retina comes out their site they can no longer call the 9.7 one "ipad with Retina display" on their site. In the end this looks to be headed the macbook route where everyone just says my macbook.

"They" is defined as tech journalists and even apple on their keynote ipad video. And even on their earnings call where they didn't break out the 3 million in sales.

2. macrumors G3

When they are specifically talking about the Mini, they refer to it as an iPad, but when discussing iPads in general they differentiate.

3. macrumors 603

saving107

Apple doesn't break down the sale figures for the Mac or iPod (just that the iPod touch accounted for more than 50%), so I don't view the iPad 3 million press release as odd.

I just watched the video on Apple.com and that was my take away.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

On maybe im just imagining it. Any ideas what the big ipad will be called when mini retina comes out.

5. macrumors 68040

Probably so they can group sales the same devices. Since the iPad overall lost some market share that should help those numbers.

6. macrumors G3

Every company groups products from the same category, they don't group the iPads with the iPhones, unless they specifically are talking about iOS sales in total.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes probably a competitive/ trade secret thing. Interesting because they did break out iphone 5 sales though.

8. macrumors 68000

I hate the mini name. It's an ipad with 7.9" screen. Calling it a mini iPad takes something away from it.

They don't call the 13" MacBook Pro, the MacBook Pro mini (compared to the 15" Pro)

The Air is different in that it's edge shaped and flash only.

9. macrumors G3

If they change the naming, I hope they call them the iPad 8 and iPad 10, as opposed to the iPad 7.9 and iPad 9.7. I always thought Samsung's tablet names sucked.

10. macrumors 603

saving107

How do you feel about the Mac mini and the iPod nano? both mini and nano insinuate smaller form factor but essentially do the same as the larger device.

Also, the iPod touch doesn't make much sense anymore since the 6th and 7th generation iPod nano both have touch screens.

11. macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I just wish they would choose names with a thought of the future, and stop changing them every generation !

12. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

They could call it:

iPad Lite
    Diet iPad
    iPad Jr.
    iPad Max
    iPad Zero
    iPad Lean
    Lean, Mean iPad Machine
    Slimfast iPad edition

13. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    At the Apple online store there's the iPad with retina display and the iPad mini. Separate identities.

14. macrumors 68000

"The all new iPad mini with Retina Display"

----------

The "mini" brand now has a long and distinguished history with Apple.

iPod mini
    Mac mini
    iPad mini

All really great products.

15. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

Of which I just realized I now own all of... though my iPod Mini is a frankenstein's monster of a mp3 player. Replaced battery with a bigger one and replaced MicroDrive with an 8gb Compact Flash card.

16. thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do they call the ipad with retina display when the ipad mini gets retina?

17. macrumors regular

retinabook (macbook pro with retina display)
    retinapad(ipad with retina display)
    ipad(ipad mini)

18. macrumors 6502a

iPod Monstro would've been my choice. :p

19. macrumors 6502a

It's confusing because the market is now flooded with tablets that all do the same thing, look the same....etc....

20. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

uh...they will still call it the mini. Just b.c it has a retina display that does not make it a mini

21. macrumors 6502a

Entitled to your opinion. I disagree....

22. macrumors 6502a

rbrian

The all new iPad mini with Retina display, and the all new iPad with Retina display, or maybe they'll just be iPad and iPad mini, and they'll rename the rest of the range MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Cheap Fat MacBook without Retina display.

I still prefer John Gruber's idea for the name. iPad Air seems better than mini; more aspirational, and emphasises the thinness and lightness rather than the smaller screen. Nobody would have complained about the price either!

23. macrumors 6502a

iPod max, though Pepsi might sue them.

24. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

that would get confusing though b.c people would start calling it the "Air"

25. macrumors 6502a

rbrian

True dat. It's already getting confusing though people talking about the mini without saying whether it's a Mac mini or an iPad mini they're talking about, so it wouldn't actually make any difference.