Apple Calling Over G5s?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Nejja Halcyon, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Nejja Halcyon macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2004

Last night my dad was custom speccing a G5 at Apple's website. He saved the configuration and pursued ordering it the next morning. Because we're in California, we'd pay outrageous sales tax if we ordered from Apple, so my dad called up CDW and found he could order it custom specced from them (who would in turn order it custom specced from Apple :) ). So, he orders it from CDW. About 15 minutes later, we get a call from...... Apple!! :eek: :eek:

Guess what the guy was asking?

Yup, he was asking if we were going to order that G5 from Apple. (He didn't offer any special deals)

I thought that they were only calling on hard selling comps.

Is this a common experience?

Nejja Halcyon
  2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    I have heard of this happening very many times before.
  3. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2002
    One time I configured an order worth about 8 grand. Apple called me a week later to ask if I was still interested in what I had configured. I had not bought the Mac somewhere else, or at all for that matter.
  4. Nejja Halcyon thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2004
    Also, the rep who called seemed suprised that CDW could order it custom specced from them.

Do you think retaliation is in order?

Nejja Halcyon
  5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I recieved such a call when I was spec'ing out my Power Mac a year ago. I ordered from MacConnection instead though, since they didn't charge sales tax.
  6. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I never buy anything from Apple because you have to pay sales tax. Every computer I've ever gotten has been from either MacWareHouse (CDW), or MacConnection. They'll offer you free RAM too and usually free shipping with no sales tax. Why would anyone buy from Apple? Especially if these companies will still give you the free RAM offer with a BTO!
  7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    I order (and many others do to) with educational discounts (about 10%) and developer discounts (about 20%). Otherwise I agree that it makes little sense to order from Apple (except I thought you could only get BTO from Apple and nobody else).
  8. keysersoze macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    It's happened to me twice.

First when I had my computer in my cart, and then once again after I got my computer they called me up and asked me if I wanted anything else from the Apple Store and they would give me a 10% discount.
  9. joshua_msu macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2004
    chicago (formerly detroit)
    Can you order a custom spec Mac from CDW's website? If so how? I cant seem to find it anywhere.