Apple Calls Samsung's Request to See iPhone 5 and iPad 3 an 'Attempt to Harass'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 14, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Late last month, Samsung attempted to escalate its patent dispute with Apple by requesting to see Apple's next-generation iPhone and iPad models, ostensibly to help it defend itself against Apple's charges of copying and other infringement. The request was made after Apple requested and was granted access to unreleased Samsung hardware, although that hardware had already been extensively advertised and demoed by Samsung.

[​IMG]

FOSS Patents now reports that Apple has filed a response to Samsung's request, referring to the move as an "improper attempt to harass" Apple by requesting to see secret hardware that bears no relevance to Apple's claims against Samsung. From Apple's filing:
    Samsung has until this Friday to produce the samples of unreleased hardware to Apple, after which time Apple will decide whether to proceed with a request for a preliminary injunction barring Samsung from selling the new products, a move that could give Apple significant leverage in extracting a settlement from Samsung. This Friday should also see a ruling on whether Samsung will be permitted access to Apple's next-generation hardware.

Article Link: Apple Calls Samsung's Request to See iPhone 5 and iPad 3 an 'Attempt to Harass'

2. macrumors 603

really?
    shocking

i was expecting apple to invite a few samsung engineers to their labs to discuss everything in detail and send them back with demo units

3. macrumors 6502a

Well, they're mostly right.

4. macrumors regular

Weak response... Samsung's gambit is a good one...

5. macrumors 6502a

chirpie

Really, I gotta side with Apple.

Samsung had already shown their products in public no less. I don't think the two are equivalent.

6. macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

Sarcasm on or off?

7. macrumors 6502

Is Samsungs products really THAT similar to Apples... :confused:

8. ghostlyorb, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011

macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Samsung just got greedy and thought they could get the first unofficial sneak peak of new devices! ha.. fail

yeah... a lot. the comparison pics are alike in many ways, (my opinion of course!)

9. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

And I was expecting Apple to not feel so vulnerable to such a request since its not like the public would have seen it. Its not like Samsung said we need you to show off your phone to the world before your ready. :rolleyes:

Ah the fangirls must be all up in arms on this one.

10. macrumors Core

miles01110

Engineers are not involved on either side. Just lawyers.

11. macrumors 6502a

swarmster

This was pretty blatant. Apple's suing them for violating its patents. Apple requests to see recently announced/released products to see if it needs to include them in the suit.

Samsung needs to see Apple's products because...???

It's completely irrelevant?

Unless they really do base their product designs on what comes out of Apple? There are easier ways to admit guilt.

12. macrumors regular

MacRumors - Conflicted

Blogs/Serious Blogs - Yes: Samsungs Bad

Engadget comment section - **** Apple.

Go figure.

13. macrumors member

Holy double standards Batman!

14. macrumors 6502

Why a company (Samsung) would request to see unreleased products of a company they're accused of copying (Apple) is beyond me. :confused: I tend to think Apple is right for calling Samsung's "request" unwarranted.

15. macrumors Core

miles01110

If you actually read the news item, the reasoning is spelled out in the first sentence.

16. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

Everything is similar its made for humans by humans have you seen all the android phones they all look similar only one does not and that's blackberry's.

Tablets are the same, from the front they look similar but I don't see Sony and Samsung going bat **** crazy over it. I am all for Apples secret fixation but a bit over the top on this one. Way to much on the side of conspiracy paranoia on Apples part.

Maybe next Samsung need to put on the phone and adds THIS IS NOT AN IPHONE so Apple will relax. :eek:

Apple wants something for less that would make more sense for all this.

17. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ah, yes, because if someone steals from you and you tell the cops to check their house for your TV set then the thief has the right to ask the cops to search your house too.

Because, you know, fairsees.

18. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

The Joker has a hand it all this, twist the truth to suit his demented mind, Robin.:D

19. macrumors 68040

Try using the two side by side ;) Whilst it cant be denied that the lock screen and home screens are near identical, everything else is almost stock Android (I.E Not even remotely similar to what iOS has).

At this point, Apple are lucky Google aren't demanding a copy of iOS 5 to see if the stole the notification system :D

IMO neither company deserves to see each others products. At the end of the day, one runs Android the other iOS, two VERY different operating systems with almost zero similarities.

Apple potentially ripped the iOS home screen design from the LG Prada but you don't see them complaining.

20. macrumors 68030

Lesser Evets

This was a 5-minute ROFL.

21. macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Oh no! A legal story that links to a blog written by someone without a legal background and commented on here by posters who will pick and choose sides based on interests and not the law. What could possibly go wrong . . .

22. macrumors regular

So a company requests for future devices?

So now every company should call for future products so that they don't infringe on any of the IP. Sure.

23. macrumors 6502

So when Apple demands to see prototypes, it's ok. But when Samsung requests exactly the same thing, it's called harassment? Interesting...

24. macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Please delete your comment before LG sees it, launches a lawsuit and we have to sit through more of the litigation articles.

25. macrumors member

i love apple, but this was a straight up genius move by samsung to "play games" with apple.