Apple can learn from dell of all people

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ok, I really think that Apple can learn something from Dell in the area of support. 1st, Dell's hours for support are amazing. 2nd let me tell you a story.

I had a 22" Cinema that had about 200 dead pixels on it. It took sending it off four times to Apple before they would replace the monitor. They kept sending it back saying that it was sparkel, and that it was not dead pixels. Now, I know the difference between the two. Finally, they replaced the monitor. However, I was without the monitor for a total of 19 days over two months. Can't really do work without a monitor you know ;)

I purchased a USED Dell recently. Well, after about two weeks of ownership, the monitor became very fuzzy. I called Dell, expecting a box to come and that I was going to have to send it off for repair right. No, they OVERNIGHTED me a new monitor. Well, that one had issues as well, so they stepped me up from a 19"CRT to a 17" LCD for FREE! They also overnighted it. Well, about a week ago, all of my USB ports failed. I called Dell, and they were going to send out a new motherboard and processor. Well, they called two days later to say that they were on backorder. So, guess what they did. They are sending me a new system. But look at the spec difference!

What I have now.
    PIV 1.5GHZ
    256 RDRam
    60GB
    16X CDRW
    8X DVD
    GeForce 3 64MB
    Santa Cruiz Sound Card
    Dimension 8100
    400MHZ Bus

They are sending me (yet overnight again)
    PIV 2.6GHZ
    256 DDR 400MHZ Ram
    60GB 7,200 RPM
    48X CDRW
    16X DVD
    ATI 9000 All in Wonder 64MB
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Dimension 8300
    800MHZ Bus

Now, I know we all think PC's suck, and I hate windows like a bitch. But man, for customer service. That is way, way out of what I would have expected. Apple could learn a thing or two in the area of customer service like that.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That is a couple of very nice upgrades you have had out of Dell there.
    The speed difference between the original P4's (400FSB) and the new P4's (800FSB) is huge, the latest P4's really are nippy, and O/C very well ;)
    It's a shame you had so many problems with the 22", the 19" CRT, and the USB ports, but I reckon you've done pretty well out of it all-in-all.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Yeah, That sounds awesome. Glad your happy. apple overnights me boxes but then I have to wiat for it to get back there and to be reapired. I hope they implement a loaner program like thinksecret mentioned.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

dell's scraping to get by, apple's doing alright

granted, i agree that this type of service would be ideal, but it's not always good business, ya know?

5. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, they get it back and refurb it. So, they really don't loose that much on it, but man, I bought this thing used. Ever buy a used Mac and have a problem. Apple treats you like an evil step mother would.

They just called back to let me know that the 2.6 has hyper-threading. Wow, I am just blown away by their customer support.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, all 800FSB P4's have HT, just make sure the option is enabled in the BIOS when you get it and you're away!

7. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Sweet. Man, pay 300 for a used computer, and get this type of support, and basically a new computer. Unreal. I cannot wait to put my GeForce 5200 Ultra 128MB card in there and see how that puppy handles Unreal Tournament 2003.

:)

It will be here monday.

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you mean they didn't even do the saturday delivery? what a bunch of jerks! ;)

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

My brother is helping out my dad's doctor with his dell right now, and from what he's seen, their tech support is kinda sketchy...

His computer crashed once, with a BSOD, and it didn't seem to work right after that, so they sent a new HD and RAM and I think a XP home edition CD to some company that would perform the upgrade. The guys came, replaced the stuff, and it still didn't work right. Well, after finally getting a dell hardware test, he finds out that there is a bad memory chip, but the tech support guys have him do the test at least a dozen times, and say it could've also been the HD. This guy also ordered XP Professional for his computer, but they mistakenly sent Office XP, and although they were going to try to fix the problem, they claimed if he didn't send the CD back, they'd charge him, for their mistake.

He's been going through hell for about 2 months with dell support and his computer. I think they were supposed to replace the ram this week.

There are stories of good, and bad experiences with tech support from Dell and Apple. I've had nothing but good support from Apple, although I've heard some bad things, and with dell, I hear good and bad.

I find Apple is good with fixing things, but they just don't replace hardware on a whim.

You have to also remember that dell, being the wal-mart of PC makers, can afford to send you a computer because they don't pay much to make them, therefore they don't lose as much.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's cool and everything, but if Apple started doing this, Applecare would cost $500 or something.

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i think that's the point... dell apparently does this for free

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Gateway was the same way--They would overnight a replacement so I wouldn't have downtime and they never once said "We have to try to repair x number of times first" They just said "Okay, tomorrow you will have your replacement, just make sure to send back the faulty unit in the box we are sending" It was great service, but still, parts failed on that Gateway system practically on a weekly basis. I'd rather have a computer that just works without a single problem with the support Apple has than a computer that breaks like clockwork with a great support. I called Gateways support *all the time* whereas with my PowerBook, I called support once about 4 years ago and haven't had to since.

13. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Exactly. This is just part of the standard warranty that comes with the system.

14. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

True, I had the same thing with Gateway, but remember this is the first problem in just over two years of life on this system, and they are replacing it with a modern system that should last at least another two years.
    :D

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I had the same thing...Gateway 2000 266 MHz PII, 64 megs RAM, CD-ROM, 16 meg TNT video card, 20 gig HD...after repeatedly dying and replacing parts for years they called one day out of the blue "We have decided due to the service record of your Gateway system, we at Gateway have decided to upgrade your system free of charge to keep your service as a loyal Gateway customer" a week later I got...Gateway AMD Athlon 1 GHz, 128 megs RAM, CD burner, 32 meg nVidia card, 40 gig HD. All I had to do was take the box it was shipped in and send my old system back. Unfortunately, that system died twice with two fried logic boards, the CD burner died 3 times, and then the HD crashed along with the processor burning out. I almost convinced my parents to get a 800 Mhz fp iMac last month as a replacement but he got some new all in one printer/scanner/copier/fax machine and it only runs in Windows, so he ended up with a 2.8 GHz Dell for $1300 with 17" LCD monitor and all the bells and whistles. Of course, it's gotten a virus 3 times now and my parents are driven mad with all the constant security fixes they have to download every morning when turning it on, so maybe they'll switch in another year or two with a G5/G6 iMac :)

16. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Believe me I am not touting windows. It sucks. But the service side of the situation is really impressive. And again, I have owned 4 dells, and this is the first hardware problem I have ever had.

17. vniow macrumors G4

Too bad only XP Pro takes advantage of it, if you have Home then it acts like it doesn't exist...

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Which is yet another reason why no-one in their right mind should run the Home edition! (no offence to anyone running Home :))

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The service that Backtothemac mentioned Dell provides is expensive. I'm sure they are not providing it free. Is there a greater profit margin with the Dell system?

20. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Actually everyone, Home does use Hyperthreading. As for this. this is part of the standard warranty that comes with the system. Given the number of systems they sell, I guess they have more money for stuff like this. As for profit margin, their prices are fairly low, so dont' know how they do it.

21. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Shouldn't the point be that you had so many problems with thier hardware to begin with? I mean, three different products go bad from the same company? I agree that the support you received was actually amazing, but the point should be that their products were flawed to begin with. Maybe I am just Apple-biased though. ;)

Regards,
    Gus

P.S. I've only ever had 2 problems in 12 years of Apple product use, and both times the products were repaired or replaced immediately. I really don't think Apple is doing all that badly myself, but Dell certainly did you right.

22. legion macrumors 6502a

Nope, Apple has the highest profit margin in the consumer pc market (it's one of those oxymoronic "open secrets")

Apple has a most unusal warranty for the computer business. They charge a premium for their products, distinguish their products as higher-end and of higher-quality and design, tout reliability and long-term value, yet after all of that they give you a really small warranty standard and ask you to pay $300 more to extend it to a reasonable time period. What infuriates me more is when Apple-apologists explain that the $300 more for AppleCare is Apple's way of giving me a choice and that it's their way of saving me money since "I don't have to pay for an extra warranty" because the machine is so reliable. yeah right...

If something is so reliable and of high-quality, then there should be no concern to warranty the item standard to 3 yrs. It's the whole concept of standing behind your product. When we compare marketshare of Apple to BMW and say "look, low marketshare and they're doing just fine," we neglect to mention that warranties on luxury cars have gone up over time to impress upon the owner how reliable and excellent the car is. For some reason, most Apple users take the warranty issue as part of the Mac experience and just waive it off which I find stupid.

The other thing I find silly is that recently Mac proponents have taken the ~20% return rate on Dell products as a clear sign their products are of poor quality. This may be so, but you can't compare it to Apple who has one hell of a silly return policy. Dell gives you a satisfaction guarantee of 30days, no questions and they'll pay for return shipping. Apple, well, you buy it and that's that... no choice...no option (I know, they have the 10 day policy, but you still have to jump through hoops to use it.) Then there's the short service and support hours and the 90 day phone support (I'm trying to think of one item no matter how cheap or expensive I own that had a 90 day phone-in policy or even just a 1 year hardware warranty... ummm... I got nothing)

I think the biggest problem is that this has become acceptable to Mac users and unless we demand more, the stupid AppleCare policy will continue to be the equivalent of a car dealer charging you to galvinize the underbody when you come to pick up your new car and take a little more profit off of the top.

[legion steps off of soapbox]

23. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

generally, when companies are so eager to just replace anything that is slightly defective, it means that they use cheap parts and labor. when a company lowers their production standards, they can produce more units and sell them at a lower price point. thus, when they let some shoddy product through their line, they don't want the customer to be extremely unhappy, because the customer will just buy something more expensive, because "more expensive product=better product". apple has standards set pretty high. with such a proprietary company, they know that if reports of always needing service and parts going bad, no one would buy macs, they would stay with PCs...

24. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well you are right. In 15 years I have only had 4 problems with a Mac. Everytime, send me the box, and wait for it to come back. Normally two days, but the Cinema was an exception. The point I was making is that the Dell is 2 years old, and this is the first problem. Now, they replace the whole system.

Imagine if your G4-550 went bad. And Apple's policy was that if the processor and board were no longer in production they would replace it with a system that had the same "status" as your first. IN other words if the 550 was top of the line, they will send you a Dual G5 2GHZ. That is Dell's policy on this. Amazing, and wonderful really.

25. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Hmm... *starts to pry random chips from logic board of my G3 PowerBook* Okay Apple, send me your top of the line AlBook...that would be the 17" since back in 99 this was the top of the line... :D