Apple can/should lend a hand to the voice-com devs

Discussion in 'Games' started by BaghdadBob, Jan 26, 2004.

1. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

OK, some people have complained on these boards that not enough is done by Apple to make Mac gaming appealing.

I ask what they can do and get varied responses.

Here's a suggestion of my own: work with the Roger Wilco and/or Teamspeak people to get their stuff compatible with OSX. Simple. Easy for Apple. Good for the platform.

Agreed? Yes? Good.

Oh, and I mean COMPATIBLE as in INTEROPERABLE not some goddamned "other macs can talk to eachother" crap.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Apple already gave the developers of TeamSpeak Macs to do this work on. However, they are lazy bastards and have not even lifted a finger.

In all fairness, they are working on a new code of the PC version, so its possible to port to Mac... but they are taking FOREVER.

3. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I don't think that qualifies as a sufficient level of help. If they did more than that then good. Give the guys some freaking code...or something. Either that or they can make their own freaking protocol that works with TS and RW. And on the same note they can fix iChat to work with IRC and Yahoo! and MSN and...and a pony! A pony with an LCD monitor in the saddle so when you're playing the Ocarina of Time G5 edition you can actually feel Epona's gallop...then we will have ice cream, and cookies, and Santa Clause will perform "White Christmas" while all the elves form a circle around us and bob back-and-forth Whoville style...

4. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

...giving them Macs is not enough help already???

How about Apple just giving them millions in the bank? Sheesh!!!

5. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Well, in all seriousness, if somone gave me a new computer it doesn't mean I could make a telecom program for it.

They should help them with the code to give the damn project a kick in the pants. These guys should be able to buy their own computers, but they have no experience coding for OSX. It's little things like these programs that make PC gaming more appealing...it's not like one game to help to market, it's for all games. It's a feature of the landscape.

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The A#1 thing they could do (as long as we're dreaming, here) is help make apple versions of games inter-networkable with pc versions. This is one of the biggest hurdles to viable mac gaming, I think. Does anyone know what the actual problem is? I heard that it involves the way apple vs pc's deal with network protocols (or some such techno-babble).

7. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Apparently, other companies have been able to get experience in coding for OS X with no undue help from Apple.

How could that be?!!! Could it be that these other companies rubbed a magic lamp and got the genie to give them a OSX programmer? Or could it be that they learned how to do it, or hired someone that knew it already?
    :eek: Imagine that!!!

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

What games aren't PC to Mac networkable?

9. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

That's what I was wondering.

@ Frohickey: what's in it for them? Alternately, what's in it for apple? And how much trouble is it? I'm not asking them to write the mac port of Halo 2 for Bungie. It's pretty simple stuff to the Apple team, and the effort:reward ratio is much better on Apple's side than Team TeamSpeak or whatever they call themselves.

10. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I don't see the reason.

If Apple does the work for them, why shouldn't Apple just market and sell it for themselves?

I don't see why the teamspeak people can't go and learn OS X on their own. They are the ones that will benefit from it directly. As it is, they got hardware from Apple already. Hardware ain't cheap.

11. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Apple benefits from it too. Their platform looks more gamer friendly, more Mac-PC gamer interoperable, one less strike agains the mac "well, it's more expenseive has less games, less upgradable, and doesn't have voice com. Huh? It has voice com now? Cool...."

OTOH, the benefit for Teamspeak is clearly small. They do way more work than they have to do for their PC version for a way smaller customer base.

Try to think objectively about this one. How much help did they lend the Unreal folks for UT2K3? Quite a bit. They made a point of it. And those guys had way more money to make than Teamspeak, even they needed some assistance from Apple.

I mean, if we're going to go down the route of "Why should Apple help anyone with anything" then we can just take away the macs they gave them, however many that was (2? 3?) and be back at square zero. Whoopety-do. And everyone loses.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I too am for a PC/Mac compatible voice conferencing program. I think the answer maybe in iChat though. Apple needs to get the voice conferencing part implemented so that you can voice chat with more then one person. Then they need to either make a PC version or work with someone to make a PC chat program compatible with iChat.

13. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

See, to me, ideally iChat would be more intercompatible all around. I know some people (yahoo!, MSN) may not want to give access to non-proprietary chat software...but if they could make it IRC compatible and teamspeak/roger wilco compatible then all would be well. Whatever. Just find an Apple-like solution.

14. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

ichat can't work for gaming. the only reason that app's like ventrilo, teamspeak, roger wilco, etc. work...is servers. we used to use netfone for a rtcw team i was in, LAAAGY. Even if you can connect to 7 people for voice....tooooo much info flying around, bogging down your system. Those 7 connetions with 5-10 k/sec up AND down puts a real strain on your bandwitdth. ichat = no future for voice com. But I guess the real question isn't "why won't apple give voice com. companies software help" it should be "why won't apple give voice com. companies hardware help" like flagship needs over at ventrilo. He's got the mac server for vent running....getting closer to getting a client version...but it seems he's got a crappy mac from apple :(

vent forum
    somewhere's around pages 9 or 10 is his problem

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

iChat would work if Apple wrote a program specifically for conferencing. Build a iChat conference server or build the ability into all the iChat clients. The one person needs to set up their client as a server on a free computer and everyone can connect to them.

16. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Because of DirectPlay, part of Microsoft's DirectX package that doesnt exist for OS X, which is why its so hard to port games now adays. This is the networking standard used in those games, and cannot be used by Aspyr or other companies when they make the Mac versions.

Additionally, Apple won't/can't help porting TeamSpeak to the Mac. The reason the TS team is taking so long is because they wrote the app in an x86 specific language (ie non- c/c++). They are currently writing a C++ version so that they can start thinking of porting it to the Mac. You think Apple's going to do that for them? Get real.

17. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

I would much rather see them help and support RW, Vent, and TS.......than see ichat go to the pc. Ours, ours, ours.....

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

apple has a wonderful developer toolset with tutorials every step of the way... they've made it very easy for people like this to code for OS X. giving them Macs was plenty, i think. even if Apple gave them a start on the code, they'd need to learn to be able to finish it, and the only thing beyond that is to have Apple write the whole damn thing...

paul

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I'm not the one asking for them to write the program for them. I too think that's a bit ridiculous even helping them write the program. From what I have been reading though it would be nice if Apple was a little more prompt on programing suggestions and information on the API's.

I still ask the question what programs for Mac/PC that can't be networked?