Apple Canada Store easy tax question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kdum8, Oct 12, 2006.

1. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I'm from the UK but will be going to Canada soon and may buy a MBP there as the prices are cheaper. Are the prices shown on the Apple Canada site inclusive or exclusive of tax? If not included, how much is it? I will be going to British Columbia.

Thanks.

2. azzurri000 macrumors 6502

The prices on the Canadian Apple store site do not include tax. The taxes in BC would be 13% altogether (6% federal tax + 7% provincial tax.)

3. bradc macrumors 6502

In Ontario it's 14% tax, what province/territory are you visiting?

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i dont know much of canada geography, but didn't he say he's going to British Columbia?

5. azzurri000 macrumors 6502

The federal + provincial taxes in BC add up to 13%.

BC, yep... Ontario is 4 provinces east of BC.

6. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Tourists visiting Canada can reclaim the 7% GST (Federal) tax on everything they buy so you can get the 7% back on your Mac :D

But hurry as the the Gov. is ending this program sometime after Dec. 31, 2006. Tried to find out the exact date but the link was broken.

Here's the Gov. of Canada website link on how to claim it back, including what items & services are covered.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/visitors/

7. bradc macrumors 6502

Whoops! I missed that he said he was going to B.C. ! Enjoy it, British Columbia is absolutely beautiful. How long are you staying? I could certainly reccomend some places to visit!

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    cheaper...??

Maybe, with the exchange rate....

I'd go to Seattle if I were you

9. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Disagree ... for 3 reasons

1) This person is from Japan. Do a quick cal. on the Yen vs Can. Buck against the Yen vs. Yankee Buck. Remembering Apple Canada Dealer real sell prices.

2) Crossing the Border into the United States, if one is not American, is like checking into the 'Bates Motel'!!

3) Try being from Japan & attempting to take a U.S. Company Product (no matter it's made) back into Canada from the U.S.A. while on Holidays.

10. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Thanks for all the responses everyone, and Cube54, reclaiming the tax on exit is sure an interesting idea, I'll check it out.

I'll be staying for three months so I have plenty of time to see things. Actually I have been living in Japan for 3 years and unlike most of the foreigners here, rather than end up with a Japanese girl, found myself dating a rather lovely Canadian. She lives in downtown Vancouver now, but I plan on travelling around to see things. What can you recommend?

Very excited about going to Canada, especially as I want to go snowboarding at Whistler. Canada has a good reputation in Europe as a tolerant and liberal place, hope it lives up to it... :p